Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
Sunline RV Forum
Sunline User Photos

Go Back   Sunline Coach Owner's Club > Sunline Club Community Forums > Sunline Community
Click Here to Login

Join Sunline Club Forums Today

Old 01-13-2018, 08:43 AM   #1

SUN #9909
Preston is an unknown quantity at this point
Lightbulb Installing Solar on TS-2675

We had a break in the weather yesterday and I went up onto my scaffolding to look close at the roof for the first time. It's in good shape considering and I scrubbed with brush using Dove and hot water.

I installed Solar Panels on my converted Class B that I built and used well nuts but it does not seem like that's going to work in this case. Should I make a framework attached to the rafters? I am not thrilled at what I saw!

Has anyone done this and could offer advice?

Thanks in advance!

Old 01-13-2018, 01:45 PM   #2

SUN #89
JohnB is on a distinguished road
Hi Preston,

See this post. Look for EMAN's posts with pics. He mounted solar on the roof of his T2499 http://www.sunlineclub.com/forums/f6...-t30-8032.html

I will say this knowing how the Sunline roofs are made, you have to mount to the rafters unless you have the walk on roof option. I thought on your Transport there is a rear area walk on roof. But I am not sure if it goes across the entire roof area.

Assuming it stops at the end of the luggage rail, then the rest of the roof is most likely the Sunline budboard roof layed over the rafters. This link will take you to pics of the Sunline roof rafter system. This is a repair post but it has a lot of pics on how the camper is made. http://www.sunlineclub.com/forums/f7...tml#post130979

If you need more info on the roof structure, let me know. I have a T1950 all apart still and I can take pics or measurements off it still. While a different floor plan, the Sunline method goes across about all the campers since the rubber roofs came.

Hope this helps

John

PS. When you actually mount your solar, that would be a great post to have with some pics. Please consider doing one.

Google Custom Search For Sunline Owners Club
JohnB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2018, 07:50 AM   #3

SUN #2097
mainah is an unknown quantity at this point
How much solar do you need? What do expect to run?
Old 01-14-2018, 01:45 PM   #4

SUN #1591
GKLarson is an unknown quantity at this point
Have you considered a portable "installation"?
No holes in your roof
Easy to uninstall if you change rigs
Much easier to clean
Park in shade, deploy panels in sun
Best advantage by far - ability to re-aim panels as often as desired as sun moves across the sky.

Downsides
storage required while traveling-make a hardshelled, foam lined case for 2 hinged panels
security issue when boondocking alone- cable secured to frame discouages thieves or move panels inside when gone from camp
potential for damage from high winds - collapse legs & lay panels flat

Regardless of which way you go you're gonna love going solar

Glen & Kathleen
06 4.7L Tundra
06 T-1950, our 6 months/yr traveling home
one of numerous canoes
GKLarson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2018, 03:50 PM   #5

SUN #2097
mainah is an unknown quantity at this point
Thus my question I made a aluminum mount for my 100 watt panel it is portable lays flat when not in use I carry it on the bed when in transit. It elevates I can turn it any direction when I am away the frame work is padlocked to the safety chains. I use 50 amp Anderson power poles to connect any thing DC powered there is one on the batteries (and one on the other end of the camper) I plug the panel into, there is one on the truck, bead battery no problem plug the panel into the truck, dead camper battery plug the camper into the truck charge the camper batteries. If you reduce your DC loads toss any thing that looks like a light bulb replace with leds don't try to build a system to run a micro wave do every thing you can to reduce loads then you can go indefinitely with a 100 watt portable panel. Do get me wrong I run a Fantastic fan on low I watch a little TV with an inverter I run the water pump I enjoy my music,talk to the world on my ham radios it can be done. Campers,motor homes it does not matter they all leak don't make it worse. I really am adverse to poking holes in a portable house that is heading some where to leak.
Old 01-14-2018, 10:04 PM   #6

SUN #8893
Thomascine is an unknown quantity at this point
Solar panels is on my wish list for later on down the road. I was considering portable so that no new holes would be needed. One of the reasons I decided against adding the light on the front of the camper. I have seen first hand on the damage leaks can do. I don't want to take the chance of anymore leaks. Not saying that it won't happen anyway but I don't want to increase the odds. It also sounds like portable is easier to adjust. Securing them would be my main concern.

Sent from my SM-P905V using Tapatalk

"Twenty years from now you will be more disappointed by the things that you didn’t do than by the ones you did do..." Mark Twain]
Thomascine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2018, 05:42 AM   #7

SUN #2943
Tod Osier is an unknown quantity at this point
I put two panels on my t-1950. Best thing I’ve done for how we camp - lot of boondocking. I love it and so do my batteries, since they actually get charged.

I lagged the panels to the rafters, the layout worked fairly well naturally, so I didn’t have to do anything special with the framing. If you haven’t read handybob, I would suggest it as a primary resource. Lot of resources included and he was spot on as far as perspectives.

We do not have an inverter - no interest.

2006 Sunline T-1950
2019 Ford F-250
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
Tod Osier is offline   Reply With Quote