Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
Sunline RV Forum
Sunline User Photos

Go Back   Sunline Coach Owner's Club > Sunline Club Community Forums > Sunline Community
Click Here to Login

Join Sunline Club Forums Today

Old 07-10-2010, 09:13 AM   #81

SUN #549
frank
Quote:
Originally Posted by JohnB View Post
Frank

It is looking better every post!!! I think you have the RV cabinet building down pat now...

Oh and I found the Krieg jig here locally now. Just needed a nudge where to go looking.

Keep up the good work

John
Thanks John!

The kreg jig made face frame construction a piece of cake. That face clamp they sell does a good job of keeping things in line. Still need to do the doors & drawers, which is going to be, uh, "interesting" But that's going to wait until we get this thing closed up. I hate dealing with the tarps and the constant worry that one could spring a leak.

- Frank

Old 07-10-2010, 09:21 AM   #82

SUN #549
frank
Quote:
Originally Posted by pextron View Post
I just wanted to take a moment to say that you are doing a great job on your project. In fact, it was one of many that inspired me to do my own build.

Great job!
Thanks! Glad to see you are posting over here now as well. I owe you a response in your thread.

- Frank

Old 07-19-2010, 02:51 PM   #83

SUN #549
frank
Unfortunately, the weather is just not being cooperative. Got rained out last weekend, and this weekend was very slow going with the heat.

Thursday July 15:

First job of the day was to get the inside floor of the galley overhead paneled. For now it's just sitting in place because I want to ensure we have adequate support for the microwave (should come in this week) before pinning it down:

With that done we were able to install the now finished end cap:

Next we moved onto the bathroom. Tight squeeze in there with 3 guys working and the room only being 2x5

Started the enclosure for the tub:

Prepped the bath cabinet front with the bead trim:

Got the front anchored to the floor and framed out the end panel, then got it skinned:

The small gap between the tub and the bath cabinet will get a filler piece once the plumbing is finished up.

Made up the shelf for the bath cabinet:

Getting the sink drain plumbing roughed in. Also skinned and installed the tub panel:

Finally dropped the tub back into place to see how it's going to look:

That was it for Thursday.

Saturday, July 24:

Worked on the front overhead cabinet. The heat slowed us down a lot, but this cabinet took a lot longer than I had expected.

First, a quick test fit to decide on placement:

Add the upper cleat to secure it to the ceiling:

Hang it in place:

Making up the cabinet floor:

Cabinet floor installed:

We ran wiring through the cabinet floor and installed mounting blocks for the reading lights that will be hanging from under the cabinet. For some reason I forgot to take pictures of that, will get it next time it's opened up.

We spent some time cleaning up and figuring out next steps, then my brother went for a lumber run and I started working on the access door opening for the shore power cord.

Quick frame it out:

Test fit the door:

Then cut out the paneling. Nice view of the rear of the power converter and my brother peering through the drawer opening at the camera:

And that was about it for us Saturday. Really wanted to finish the flooring in the lower galley cabinet and get the refer enclosure done, but the heat took it's toll on us. Hopefully back on it later this week!

- Frank
Old 07-19-2010, 04:24 PM   #84

SUN #89
JohnB is on a distinguished road
Frank

Really nice work. That Krieg jig sure has paid for itself….

The amazing thing in all this, brother and you are using RV industry components just like many TT manufactures. However there is a difference. Craftsmanship and attention to detail in how the unit is built. You are willing to spend an extra $100 if that for better materials to assemble the unit verses trying to make $1,000’s on making hundreds of campers a $100 cheaper. This goes to show the difference between a good camper and a great camper is the individuals and mentality doing the work.

Brother and family will have one fine camper when this is all done.

Siding, what are you going with? Filon or aluminum? And have you thought of using Tyvek House Wrap?

Keep up the fine work!!!

John

Google Custom Search For Sunline Owners Club
JohnB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-19-2010, 04:39 PM   #85

SUN #549
frank
Thanks John!

If you look closely you will see a lot of ideas stolen from the Sunlines I've been in. Guess you go with what you know.

The siding is going to have to be aluminum, filon is beautiful, but just too heavy with the necessary plywood backing. It will almost certainly be wrapped in tyvek. A friend has a half a roll sitting at his house, I need to get over there and pick it up.

- Frank
Old 08-01-2010, 06:46 PM   #86

SUN #549
frank
A little more progress to report from the last week and a half.

Picking up where I left off, we had ran some wiring in the front overhead cabinet for a pair of reading lights. They'll be mounted under the cabinet, one on each side back in the corner:

Thursday, July 22:

First my brother made up a floor to support the refrigerator. Simple frame from 1x2:

A couple of block "legs" offer mid span support:

Meanwhile I framed out the opening for the range vent:

With the fridge floor in place we started working on the wall openings for the fridge:

Lower one framed up and cut out. This is the air "intake" which also opens for access to the controls. Tight squeeze in there, you can just squeeze in through the cargo door!:

Then the upper opening, this is the "exhaust" - none of this is fan forced or anything, just natural convection:

Here's how it looks on the inside:

Slide the fridge into the opening for a test fit:

Then we moved onto the galley base cabinet. Needed a "floor" in there as well. Also had to get the galley sink drain plumbing in place which required some clearancing of the floor ply and the back of the cabinet face frame with the dremel and a grinding bit:

A simple partition wall divides in inside and outside storage areas:

We will partition off the other side as well so things aren't falling into the drawers, but that will wait until the drawers themselves are in place.

That was about it for that Thursday. The following Saturday found the weather un-cooperative, so no work that day. During the week I snuck out for a few hours and did a few little jobs - cleaned up and organized some tools, added some support for the microwave, and built the upper portion of the refrigerator enclosure:

That brings us to Friday, July 30:

Since I had built the top of the enclosure, my brother started building the sides. It's a little hard to make out in the pictures, but here they are being screwed into place:

With it all enclosed, we slid the fridge back into place and powered it up for a draft test. We built the enclosure as per Dometic's specs, but I figured it wouldn't hurt to run it for 24 hours and see how it performed.

Here's the rear view showing the controls:

And here's the thermometer readings about 10 hours later. It was ~85F out that day.

Fridge:

Freezer Compartment:

I guess it works

Then we moved inside to knock out some of stuff that needed to be mounted to the wardrobe. I wanted to get this stuff done before the bed was built and installed so we didn't have to be standing on the bed to do this stuff. First we cut a hole in the side for this little MP3 docking station we found in a catalog:

The little door opens up and holds your MP3 Player. Also has a 12V lighter socket and a USB connector on the face for charging:

Then we made up a mounting panel for the radio (and who knows what else in the future). It's made from 1/16" textured ABS plastic sheet with a backing made from scrap paneling for extra stiffness. Ignore the pencil lines, I washed those off later

Next we mounted up his swing arm TV mount. I had put bracing in the wardobe side wall to accomodate this when it was built:

And finally mounted boxes for a AC outlet and the antenna connection:

Had a few minutes of daylight left so we installed a couple of electrical boxes. Here you can see the one for the microwave outlet and on the side wall the galley outlet:

This is the bathroom outlet. Since the boxes are shallow (due to wall depth) I'm going to use a surface mount box from Wiremold on top of it to make enough room for a GFCI outlet:

Saturday, July 31:

First I pulled the 12V wiring that's been run so far through the wall and organized it a bit with some insulated clamps. Then I temporarily wired up the power converter and the radio circuit so we could test the converter. Hard to get a picture in there:

We plugged in his iPod and listened to the trailer's radio all day, that was a nice change:

Meanwhile my brother was outside making up the face frames for the bed:

Got those pinned in place:

Then started on the face frame for the side cabinet. This was a royal pain with the angles to meet the front wall:

Once that was finished we moved onto the other bedside cabinet. This one will make a nice end table/night stand plus hide the water heater:

And that was it for daylight, so we disassembled the bed pieces and loaded them into his truck. He should have them finished and back here on Thursday for final installation. Really wanted to get the sliding tray for the bed done, but that will have to wait until next week.

Hoping to get some spare time between now and then to get more wiring done. Should have another update soon.

- Frank
Old 08-05-2010, 08:27 PM   #87

SUN #89
Looking Good Frank!!!

Gee the big work goes quick. This fine finishing work takes time. There is a lot to do on this final inside stage. You are doing an outstanding job. Bro and his family will have a truely 1 of a kind top rated high end camper.

John

Old 08-06-2010, 08:33 PM   #88

SUN #28
sunnyseagull
looks good frank I was wondering if and what you were going to name your brand camper ,and maybe come up with some graphics for the outside , maybe you should post a poll with the other members on here and see if they could come up with a name , if your interested I like ECLIPSE, kind of as a tribute to sunline . just a thought . keep up the good work Dan
Old 08-06-2010, 09:39 PM   #89
Moderator Emeritus

SUN #17
kanyonkitty is an unknown quantity at this point
FYI, Carl Kerns that worked for Sunline had a very custom Sunline built before the factory shut down. It is called an Eclipse. Here is a link to Carls for sale post, BUT it is no longer for sale they are going to keep it.

Kitty
Sunny #18 2003 F-344SR #8157
Sunny #19 1997 T-2653 #5485
1999 Ford F350XLT DRW Crew Cab, Long bed 7.3 PSD
2002 VW Jetta TDI.. AKA: Kitty's Kruiser
kanyonkitty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-2010, 04:47 PM   #90

SUN #28
sunnyseagull
hi kittty how are you . thats were i came up with that . being like it would be the next gen. sunline since we all know that its very unlikely they coming back. Dan
Old 08-08-2010, 07:45 PM   #91

SUN #549
frank
Quote:
Originally Posted by JohnB View Post
Looking Good Frank!!!

Gee the big work goes quick. This fine finishing work takes time. There is a lot to do on this final inside stage. You are doing an outstanding job. Bro and his family will have a truely 1 of a kind top rated high end camper.

John
Thanks John!

Yes, the "details" take forever! The folks over on the teardrop forum say "The last 10% takes 90% of the time." How true..

Quote:
Originally Posted by sunnyseagull
looks good frank I was wondering if and what you were going to name your brand camper ,and maybe come up with some graphics for the outside , maybe you should post a poll with the other members on here and see if they could come up with a name , if your interested I like ECLIPSE, kind of as a tribute to sunline . just a thought . keep up the good work Dan

Thanks Dan! We will need to come up with a name and some kind of graphics for sure. Otherwise it will just be too darn plain and white. I'm sure my brother will come up with something, he's got a good eye and got the "art" genes

- Frank
Old 08-08-2010, 07:51 PM   #92

SUN #549
frank
We got a little more done this week, so here's the next update.

Friday, August 6

We started off assembling the bed and two side cabinets from the parts we had made last week. My brother took them home with him during the week and got them stained and polyurethaned. Here they are awaiting installation:

The first thing to do was assemble the two bed fronts and the door side cabinet. Once those were together, we attached the bead trim and got them anchored in place to the floor and wall:

Same as all the other cabinets, we used lengths of 1x2 for anchors as shown here:

Then we anchored the last cabinet and built a filler piece to fill the gap between the bed and the cabinet front. Seen here on the left:

We had to build a side for that cabinet. To keep the space under the bed completely open (it will house the water heater and pump plus provide general storage) the side is only above the bed height:

Finally we closed in the door side cabinet. Seen here on the right:

With the basic cabinet structure in place we moved onto creating the sliding bed platform. The idea here is that during the day it will be used as an L-shaped couch. Then at night, the platform will pull out and the cushions will re-arrange into a full size bed. We got about half of it built before we ran out of daylight.

Saturday, August 7

First thing in the morning we finished up the bed platform. Here's a shot of the whole works with the platform in the closed position.:

A close-up of the sliding platform we made:

The slats seen on the far left side will support the cushion assemblies. The cushions will be made with plywood in the base so that they are generally self-supporting. The slats and are left free (no fasteners) so that they can be easily moved to get access to the storage area:

Now here's that platform slid out, creating a full-sized bed:

Recently somebody asked me to try to take a few shots from further back so they could see everything a little better. I guess it's easy to get buried into the task at hand and just focus on pictures of that. So after lunch I tried to get a few overall shots. From the rear, next to the bathroom door, looking forward:

Standing outside, looking into the entrance door:

And finally, from the front (bed) looking rear. I took three pictures to try to show everything:

Lunch break was over and it's back to work we go. With the two cabinets in place that will act as side tables we decided to add outlets above them for convenience:

Next we added blocking made from 1x2 furring strip to the walls inside the cabinet spaces. This will support the countertops. The galley:

The door side front cabinet:

The other front cabinet:

We ran one piece short on furring strip so we couldn't get the bath done. That will have to wait until next time.

Next job was to start making the countertop supports. I want to make the tops as light as possible, but not look thin and flimsy. I decided that a simple structure and thin plywood was the best approach. First we made the frame for the one side table:

And then we moved onto the galley counter, begin with the perimeter structure:

Then add supports for the stovetop, sink, and the open spaces:

The real careful eye may notice the small squares of plywood attached to the underside of the framework in the last picture. Those are just small scraps of 1/8" paneling glued and stapled to the underside. Hopefully they will prevent the frame from racking when we pull it out to skin and laminate it.

Once we finish the frames for the other two cabinets, we will add thin plywood to the top, and add a vertical 1x2 around the perimeter. This will all then be covered in formica. Should give us a "real" countertop look at a small fraction of the weight.

That was it for this weekend!

- Frank
Old 08-08-2010, 08:53 PM   #93

SUN #89
Frank, It just keeps getting better each week

The bed has a fair amount to it. Impressive.

Keep at it. We rooting for ya!

John

Old 08-09-2010, 07:00 AM   #94

SUN #93
Poppy & Nana is an unknown quantity at this point
Frank, I have been reading your weekly updates and think this is a very interesting project not to mention time consuming.....I love watching what you are doing and your "story book narrative and photos" ....just make it that much more interesting.

I love the bed idea not to mention all the electrical outlets "in the right places".....

Keep up the GREAT work!!!!!

Will the new TT come to a M&G somewhere for a "reveal"????
We loved our 2007 T-2499
2010 Ford F-350 4x4 Lariat Super Crew Dually Diesel
Poppy & Nana is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-25-2010, 07:54 PM   #95

SUN #1205
tpepe74 is an unknown quantity at this point
Frank, Can't wait for the next update. Keep up the good work. I am curious how you are doing in regards to your original budget goal of $2000 or less?

Tim
Old 08-30-2010, 10:10 AM   #96

SUN #549
frank
Quote:
Originally Posted by Poppy & Nana View Post
Frank, I have been reading your weekly updates and think this is a very interesting project not to mention time consuming.....I love watching what you are doing and your "story book narrative and photos" ....just make it that much more interesting.

I love the bed idea not to mention all the electrical outlets "in the right places".....

Keep up the GREAT work!!!!!

Will the new TT come to a M&G somewhere for a "reveal"????
Thanks Kathy! I am also posting the build on a trailer building forum, so on there the explanations help others who are doing similar work.

I'm sure this will find its way to a M&G. I really wanted to do Nick's Lake again this year and bring this one along but it doesnt look like work will cooperate this year. Buttonwood 2011 is a good possibility though!

- Frank
Old 08-30-2010, 10:25 AM   #97

SUN #549
frank
Quote:
Originally Posted by tpepe74 View Post
Frank, Can't wait for the next update. Keep up the good work. I am curious how you are doing in regards to your original budget goal of $2000 or less?

Tim
Tim,

The budget is an interesting story. This whole project started off about 2 years ago with talk of building him a teardrop camper. So, the ~$2000 budget was set for that project.

Time went on, he went camping with us one weekend in the Sunline, and the teardrop started to look less appealing. He wanted something a little bigger that he could stand up in. Then it grows more to a small counter for cooking space and maybe a porta potty somewhere, and so on.. until he went with us to an RV show back in March. Then he wanted the full RV package.

So when we found the junker pop-up and got started he wasn't dead set on the dollar amount, but he mentioned trying to stay within $2000-3000. He also never came out and said it, but it was obvious in the beginning that he had some serious concerns about being able to actually build this thing.

As we did more work, he got more confident and was much more comfortable with putting out the cash. So some of the materials were stepped up to new stuff or better stuff. For instance, the old sink in the pop-up was tossed in favor of a new sink and "real" faucet. Instead of running a cheap converter we used a Progressive Dynamics unit, etc. Not real big expenses, but the $75 here and $50 there adds up quick.

All said and done, he's probably going to be into this thing for around $4500.

Without the "upgrades" it probably would have come in around the $3k mark.

Another update coming up in a minute or two!

- Frank
Old 08-30-2010, 10:28 AM   #98

SUN #549
frank
The wife and I took a trip out to Elkhart, Indiana two weeks back to pick up the parts we need to finish up the build. Shopped at Bontrager's Surplus, RV Surplus Salvage, and Factory RV Surplus. Also checked out the RV Hall of Fame and Museum which had some cool stuff to see. Anyway, the shopping trip was a success, picked up a shower surround, fabric for the couch, cabinet hardware, some other misc. stuff, and most importantly the siding and trim. Transporting 16' lengths of siding and trim was a little tricky, but we got it back home safe & sound:

We left on the 13th and got back late in the day on the 20th. On the 21st, it was back to work on the build.

Saturday, August 21:

First was to unload all the goodies we picked up in Elkhart and get them put away. Then we pulled out the countertop frames we had built earlier in the month and got those skinned up with Ply:

Then we "wrapped" the edges of the countertop with 1x2 to give it a built-up look:

Knocked-off the inside corner with a 45* piece, and we're done with that step:

We did the same for the 2 smaller tops, and then made up a countertop for the bathroom:

We finished up that day with some cleanup and planning.

Friday, August 27:

With the countertop frames finished it was time to move onto the Formica laminate. Started off by cutting the strips for the edges of all the tops:

Got the contact cement applied, let it dry and started applying the strips. Once on, they are trimmed flush with a router and a flush trim bit. Shown here is a tool I recently found out about - a laminate trim router with an offset base. The offset base gives a large surface area to keep the router sitting flat and also really helps with getting into those tight corners. A little pricy, but I'll never go back to a regular router for that kind of work again!

Working our way around the tops:

A little love from the sander ensures everything is perfectly flush and even:

More strip work:

Now, we're ready to do the horizontal surfaces. We rough cut the laminate:

And then we packed it in for the day.

Saturday, August 28:

Start with the contact cement:

Let it dry, apply the laminate, and go to work with a J-Roller:

That gives us this:

A little trimming action:

And you get this:

One last step for a real nice job, hand filing the edges:

Then a test fit, because you just have to see how it's going to look!

Now we can move onto some fixtures. The small sink we got for the bathroom did not come with a template, so I had to improvise a little. I covered the section of the countertop with masking tape, centered the sink upside down and traced it. Then I copied that tracing about 1/4" in to make our cut line:

Cut it out, drop the sink in:

Apply the vinyl inside corner trim (you have to look real hard to see it) and put the countertop in where it belongs:

The two smaller tops:

The we cut the holes for the galley sink & cooktop, dropped those in for a test fit:

The insert panel in the fridge was pretty ratty looking.. scratched up and stained. Wanted to go with a black insert but havent been able to locate a small piece of black formica yet. For now, this is an improvement (sorry, the flash really washes the color out - I'm a bad excuse for a photographer):

Last, properly mount the fixtures and install the faucet. Really starting to look like something now!

With that, it was time to clean up. More soon, we're trying really hard to get this thing campable by the week of September 20th to show to some friends. With a little luck, we're less than 2 weeks from siding!

- Frank
Old 08-30-2010, 01:08 PM   #99

SUN #15
GoodoleBob
Frank you're accomplishing magic and your photo skill are just fine too. What a quality buildup this is and such exceptional execution too. This is such a beauty of a trailer...most anyone would agree on that. Great job keeping us all in on the progress too. You're a talented fellow I must say!

Bob

GoodoleBob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-30-2010, 08:06 PM   #100

SUN #89
Frank

Wow, your doing GREAT!!! The Formica and counter tops came out really good. The trim bit for the router, is that a straight side cutting end mill with a bearing on it?

The last Formica I did, ( a long time ago....) I did not have a router and did it the old way. File/sand, file, sand some more.... I have some counter top work to do on "The Camper" if I can ever get to it. And now I have the router.

The siding... it looks like it filled your Sunny. Did you have to remove the rear window to get it in for transport?

The roof, I lost track did you pick up roofing material up in Elkhart?

We are all rooting for ya.

John