Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
Sunline RV Forum
Sunline User Photos

Go Back   Sunline Coach Owner's Club > Sunline Club Community Forums > Sunline Community
Click Here to Login

Join Sunline Club Forums Today

Old 02-27-2011, 06:40 PM   #141

SUN #549
frank
Got some more work done, so it's time for an update! About 3 weeks back, my brother finally got the doors & drawer fronts finished. Little pile awaiting installation:

We started off in the bathroom, first installing the one blank panel in there. Drill some pilot holes:

Secured with screws from the rear (as you might guess from the following picture, this was NOT fun!):

Next we pulled the medicine cabinet off the wall and got that door installed:

Then we moved onto the 2 doors under the sink. First install some hinges:

Hang the doors and install the roller catches:

All closed up:

Wardrobe door hung:

Upper galley doors:

In addition to the roller catches, the overhead doors get spring loaded struts to hold them open:

Finally, the overhead cabinets up front get hung:

With that we called it a day. The next day I got outside to finish up a few things. First, the heat duct in the bath:

Then the blank panels up front:

Front all closed up:

Double checked the junction box for the 7 pin connector and got that closed up:

Last weekend we built the drawer boxes. Sides are 1/2" ply, bottom is 1/4" ply. I got three boxes installed this past week and my brother came down yesterday and we finished those up. Here's the galley boxes installed:

And slid out.. they are all on Accuride 100lb full extension ball bearing slides (nice and only about $15/ea):

I built a little framework under the countertop to hold the upper two sets of slides. This will also get covered with some scrap paneling to enclose the cabinet under the sink, don't want things falling into the drawer area. The back outside entertainment panel and the wiring bundle there will be getting an insulated cover this week:

The wardrobe cabinet drawer box installed:

Then we installed the drawer fronts, used a scrap piece of ply to keep the three galley drawer fronts aligned:

Galley drawers finished up with the hardware on:

Wardrobe all buttoned up:

We had planned on putting a blank panel in the opening between the wardrobe and the couch, but there isn't enough room to remove it and access the pump when the water heater is installed. One more door needs to be built to cover that, hopefully that's done real soon.

And that's it for the progress from the last few weeks. During this week I plan on finishing up under the sink, getting that all enclosed and the drain plumbing all connected up, then the last two doors go on and the galley will be complete. The next major tasks are the upholstery for the couch/bed and some valences for the windows to hold blinds & curtains.

- Frank

Old 02-27-2011, 09:07 PM   #142

SUN #89
JohnB is on a distinguished road
Frank

The doors came out great!

A few questions

Did you use a dado in the bench saw or a router bit on the door frames to cut the 1/4" groove?

The door panels, are they pine or birch veneer board?

I can imagine you have a few 30 gallons trash tubs full of wood shavings by now...

There is no lack of quality craftsmanship in this coach. Great Job.

John

Google Custom Search For Sunline Owners Club
JohnB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2011, 09:32 PM   #143

SUN #549
frank
Thanks John! I'm real happy with the doors, they came out nice for the first time ever building something like that.

To build the doors I bought this adjustable tongue & groove router bit set to use in the router table: http://www.freudtools.com/p-155-adju...e-bit-set.aspx. It comes with a whole pile of little shim washers so you can set the stack up perfectly for the stock. It took a few attempts with scrap to get it set up, but then it's fairly straightforward. One thing that would have helped a lot would have been a planer to get all the stock exactly the same thickness. I dont have a planer, so there was some lippage on some of the joints which he handled with some sanding.

The insert plywood is just cheap 1/4" stuff from home depot. It's not luann (although it was intended as an underlayment I believe), so I'm not really 100% sure of what the face is. Probably safe to assume it's pine. Two of the doors might get remade at some point in the future because the plywood had a join in the face that wasn't visible until the stain went on. You can see the joint line pretty well in the picture of the bathroom cabinet. It's not the end of the world, but I find the line annoying.

The other thing that is interesting is how much the polyurethane ambers in just a few months. It's hard to tell in the pictures, but the freshly made doors are just a tad lighter than the face frames that were done around July. I think it should even out nicely once the doors amber in a few months.

- Frank
Old 02-28-2011, 04:13 AM   #144

SUN #1830
Jim-Bev-2363 is an unknown quantity at this point
Frank,

The good thing about any project is all the new tools bought to do the werk. Those cutters are nice. Now for more projects to use them on.

Don't worry about the line on the drawer. As the poly darkens it might hide that line.

Now for a heavy duty sewing machine.

jim
Old 04-18-2011, 07:50 PM   #145

SUN #549
frank
It's been about 6 weeks since I've posted an update, so here's a shot at catching up. Been plugging away a couple of days/nights a week finishing things up. Lots of little jobs to do to get things finished, some (like filling nail holes in the paneling and caulking where things run through the floor) aren't really picture-worthy, so here's some of the better jobs..

After the last update I started with enclosing the back of the outside entertainment panel:

Then I framed out the rest of the divider for the under-sink cabinet:

Plumbed the sink drain:

Added a closet rod to the wardrobe cabinet. This is a scrap of EMT sitting in $2 closet rod brackets:

Painted and installed the fenders:

Installed the cable TV inlet (probably never use it, but it came with the antenna...)

Painted the water heater door and got the water heater installed:

Water heater plumbed in:

Water heater fired up:

Testing the water system - Running water!

Then installed the cover panels over the plumbing access holes:

Safety Third! (for the dirty jobs fans) Smoke Alarm:

Fire Extinguisher with first aid kit sitting behind (don't forget the trash can, VERY handy!):

Range Hood Vent installed:

Remounted the step so it was centered under the door (it had just been bolted in the original pop-up location which was a few inches off). Also installed a shoe scrubber mat. The step eventually needs to get sandblasted and powder coated. We sanded/wire wheeled and painted it, but the moving parts kills the paint:

Step Light installed on the side of the frame rail firing at the step. The idea here is to light up the step so you don't break your neck without annoying all the other campers with bright light. Just an amber LED clearance fixture:

Replaced the foam seals around the fridge and mounted it to the cabinet finally:

Painted and installed the screw cover strips on the fridge vent:

Installed all the vinyl insert trim on the extrusions, and around the doors (yes, it is begging for a bath at this point!):

This is getting long, so more next post..
Old 04-18-2011, 07:52 PM   #146

SUN #549
frank
Somewhere along the way, I started on the window treatments. First pulled out the table saw and ripped some strips out of plywood. Then the kreg jig for some holes:

Assembled:

Glued on some batting for a little padding:

And wrap it in fabric:

Rinse, repeat and assemble for the galley windows:

And then the rest of the trailer:

Since the fabric is out, might as well make up a trim piece for over the entry door. This is scrap ply, padded and covered:

Mount the blinds in the valences (if you look closely in the corners you can see velcro to hold the curtains that come later):

The valences mount to the wall with wide corner brackets. 2 on the short bathroom window, 3 on the others:

Shorten all the blinds, mount the lower rail brackets to the wall and you get this:

Then my brother made up a matching mirror for the bath:

Mounted with double sided tape:

Done:

Then Kathy and I made up some curtains from fabric we bought years ago (for what I dont remember). We put pleated folds along the top to give them a not-so-flat look:

Stained and polyurethaned the bathroom door jamb:

Installed the last two cabinet doors:

Swapped the old tongue jack for a side-crank model, moved the LP foward a few inches to make more room for the battery, and installed the battery:

Shower curtain track and the inner skylight trim my brother made (they want $120 for those plastic ones!!)

Accordian door for the bathroom:

Closed:

Bathroom curtains done:

Galley curtains done:

Entry door all trimmed out:

OK, getting long again.. more next post..
Old 04-18-2011, 07:53 PM   #147

SUN #549
frank
OK, finally on to my favorite part - the couch/bed! We bought upholstery fabric from one of the surplus dealers when we were in Elkhart. During the week I got it cut up and Kathy sewed up all the covers. Then I got started on the foam for the seating.

King size 6" memory foam mattress from Wally World being taken apart (much cheaper than buying foam seperately):

Figure out how best to lay out the pieces:

Making marks:

A little fun with the Electric Knife:

Wrap the foam blocks in polyester (or dacron or whatever the lady said it was):

Glue the foam to the plywood backing and stuff the cushions in:

Pull, tug, shoot 9million staples:

And it resembles a cushion!

The big ones are even MORE fun..

Repeat..

Cushions installed! Kathy made the little pillow from the same fabric I used on the valences.

There's a piece of plywood wrapped in the upholstery fabric mounted across the front wall to keep the cushions vertical in couch mode. The 2 seat pieces + the 2 long backrests make up a full sized bed. There is a small gap with just those 4 cushions in couch mode, see here in the corner:

Made this little guy to fill that gap:

Installed pins on the 2 end sliding sections to lock it in or out:

The white strips on the sliding section are pieces of "industrial strength" velcro. This keeps the backrests from sliding around in bed mode:

And here it is setup in bed mode. Takes less than a minute to pull the pins, slide the section out, replace the pins and drop the 2 backrests into place. The third little cushion just goes on the floor under the bed:

As a bonus, it's pretty comfortable in either configuration! My brother checking it out:

I made up a little 12V table lamp which looks neat on the table next to the couch. Unfortunately it kind of washed the picture out:

At this point, it is pretty much done (until mods come of course!). He backyard camped in it Saturday night, slept in the bed and used the shower in the morning. I need to put together a hitch ball and mount the sway control bar and get it to the scales. Then give it a really good cleaning inside and out, and he can load it and we'll head out somewhere. Eventually he wants to make up a matching folding table and add some shelves in the cabinets, but he will do that after he sees how it loads up. Pics in the woods ASAP!

- Frank
Old 04-18-2011, 09:08 PM   #148

SUN #809
ihsolutions
Frank,

Congrats on completing a very neat project! I was just thinking about your trailer today and wondered when we might be seeing an update.

Are there any plans for vinyl graphics or anything on the exterior? Full body paint?
2012 Chevrolet Silverado 3500HD D/A DRW, Classy Chassis Conversion, aka "Garage Queen II"
Hensley Trailersaver BD3 Air Hitch
ihsolutions is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-18-2011, 09:45 PM   #149

SUN #973
DianeScraps
Send a message via Yahoo to DianeScraps
You guys are amazing! Thanks for the update!

1999 T2970 Sunline, Retired 2015

Current Camper is a 2016 Starcraft 28QBS
DianeScraps is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-19-2011, 05:08 AM   #150

SUN #128
Tweety
That is just AWESOME!!!
2012 Arctic Fox 30U, SUNLINES - 2006 2753 "Tweety", 2007 QUE "QUEtSE", 2364, 1660
Tweety is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-19-2011, 07:36 AM   #151

SUN #597
henryj
Frank, from the pictures I'd say it looks factory made, right down to the black streaks --in person it probably looks way better than factory, never mind the satisfaction of doing something yourself better than you could pay someone else to do it. Great thread!

Henry
henryj is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-19-2011, 09:35 AM   #152

SUN #98
PTHutch is an unknown quantity at this point
Frank,

You, your brother, your wife, and everyone else that helped build the trailer did an awesome job.

Thanks for taking the time to take the pictures and sharing with us the adventures of building a trailer yourself.

Now, your brother has to bring it to one of the M&Gs.

Hutch
Sunlines: 2005 Solaris T-280SR; 1999 Solaris T-2670; 1998 Saturn T-24A
PTHutch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-19-2011, 11:30 AM   #153

SUN #93
Poppy & Nana is an unknown quantity at this point
Frank....awesome job!!!! I see this was a real family affair and even taking over the house....Kathy must love you!!! Hope to see you ALL at a M&G this year.
We loved our 2007 T-2499
2010 Ford F-350 4x4 Lariat Super Crew Dually Diesel
Poppy & Nana is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-19-2011, 02:35 PM   #154
Moderator Emeritus

SUN #395
HappyCampers is an unknown quantity at this point
Awesome!!!
2003 F-304SR (Last Sunline "The Big One")
1985 T-1650 (Current Sunline)
2004.5 Dodge Ram 3500 5.9 HO Cummins
HappyCampers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-19-2011, 04:25 PM   #155
Moderator Emeritus

SUN #17
kanyonkitty is an unknown quantity at this point
AWESOME, what a wonderful "driveway project". Hard to imagine that you built that great little trailer from a pup frame and totally in your driveway. The interior is so nice, I love the colors that you chose.

Need some Sunline striping to dress up the outside a bit???? Gary "might" be getting some.

Kitty
Sunny #18 2003 F-344SR #8157
Sunny #19 1997 T-2653 #5485
1999 Ford F350XLT DRW Crew Cab, Long bed 7.3 PSD
2002 VW Jetta TDI.. AKA: Kitty's Kruiser
kanyonkitty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-2011, 02:10 PM   #156

SUN #132
Makers Mark
It is truly amazing the talent that is displayed on this web site. Congratulations on such an awesome job.
MM
2015 Rockwood 2608WS (SOB)
SUN # 132
Makers Mark is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-2011, 07:00 PM   #157

SUN #89
JohnB is on a distinguished road
Frank. Awesome!!! and then some.

It turned out great! Want to really thank you for taking the time to post all this. The learning is priceless...

Now get the Sunline next to it and head to the campground with both!

John

Google Custom Search For Sunline Owners Club
JohnB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2011, 07:26 PM   #158

SUN #96
rebellious78
Wow what awsome little trailer. I bet you guys will have lots of fun with it. Great job!

David & Mary Ann
2018 Ford F350 Dually 6.7L Powerstroke
2006 Sunline Solaris T-264-SR
2012 Palomino Bronco B1500LB
rebellious78 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-20-2011, 04:14 AM   #159

SUN #2251
Bullwhacker is an unknown quantity at this point
Hello Frank,
Your brother is a lucky guy.
Great job and I have a few points I saw during your build.
How come you didn't take the counter to the door edge to hide the wheel well and it would have given more storage and counter top?
The water heater? I plan on using one of the on demand heaters instead of a water heater.
For the gray water tank and others I used a diverter value when hooked up to outside water and power. A two inch hose for the gray water went into a sewer hookup; same for the black water using a three inch hose.. and same for the fresh water where there was an outside source.
As a future mod thought about solar panels on the roof to charge the battery?

Quote:
Originally Posted by frank View Post
We've been working hard on the build the last 4 weeks, but are at that stage where you do a bunch of stuff and don't wind up with much to look at. I had thought we could have it ready this past week to take it out and show some friends that were camping nearby, but things lately have just taken up a whole lot more time than I had anticipated. Right now my brother has some days off for the weekend of October 15th, so we're trying to get it together by then.

Here's an update to show some of what we got done the past few weeks.

September 4:

During the week after we did the countertops, my brother built a medicine cabinet carcass at home and got it finished up. Here's the bare frame ready to go in:

And mounted up on the wall, above the toilet:

After that cabinet was in, my brother started working on the door and drawer frames. He got all the stock cut to size and marked, and started cutting the tongue & grooves with the router table. The doors will all be shaker style. I sent him home with the stock, the router table and a pile of clamps. He's been plugging away at the doors a few hours after work here and there. They should be done within a week or two. Unfortunately, I didn't get any pictures of that since I was in the trailer working on the electrical.

I got the light fixtures wired and mounted up. Here's a shot from the middle looking forward. There's a double fixture on the ceiling above the seating area and two reading lamps over the couch:

A double in the bathroom centered over the sink. There's a second single fixture over the shower, but that one has to wait until the surround goes in:

Looking towards the back there's a double fixture over the galley:

And two doubles over the countertop for work lighting:

Testing the fixtures:

September 5:

My brother was back home at work, but I wanted to get a little more done. I wired and mounted a pair of 12V lighter sockets on the wall next to the bed for cell phone charging or whatever:

Mounted the tank monitor panel:

Mounted & wired up the thermostat:

Finished wiring and mounting the light switches. First, the bathroom ones:

And these handle the outside porch light, a small step light, and a single fixture mounted directly over the door inside:

I then wired and mounted some single fixtures in the storage compartments. One on each end up front:

And one under the counter in the rear:

September 6:

Started on the AC wiring that day. Here's the outlet for the fridge:

The road side wall, where all the wiring heads to the converter panel:

Most of the wiring is ran through the roof, keeping the runs as short as possible:

Yeah, there's just a little bit of copper in this thing..

Once the wires were run and secure, I moved inside and started installing outlets:

September 11:

With the wiring ran, it was time to move towards closing this up. We built a small platform in the roof for the crank-up TV antenna, and dry-fit that to make sure it would sit level. We also test-fit the A/C at the same time to make sure it would sit within the manufacturer's specs for level. Good thing we did, the level was fine but I found that the grey tank vent was just about under the shroud. Turns out the shroud was much wider than I had thought. We relocated the vent and solved that problem fairly easily. Would have been a nightmare if the roofing was on..

With the antenna down:

From the inside, the interior half of the A/C and the handle for the antenna. Plenty of clearance for both:

I also started terminating the wiring at the converter and getting things cleaned up. If you look off to the left of this picture you can see the combination LP Gas and CO detector mounted in the wall:

My brother made up a cover for the wheel well:

And enclosed and lined the two storage cubbies on each end of the couch/bed:

Before we pulled the antenna and the A/C off the roof, I grabbed the TV out of our camper so we could test the antenna wiring:

Built a small box for under the couch, ran the 7 pin connector and started working on that portion of the DC:

Installed a support block on the road side for the city water inlet:

And framed out the opening for the water heater:

From the inside (it took a beating in that pop-up, it will need to be replaced next year):

September 17 & 18:

I spaced out these two days and forgot to grab the camera. We made up a frame for the fresh water tank and got that hung, then pulled it back down for some touch-up painting. I'll get some pictures of the tank once it's back in. We also pulled wire for all the trailer lighting - the tails and the 11(!) required marker lights. We also got the shower surround cut down to size and had to re-do the tub platform to drop it 3/4" closer to the floor. Doing so was the only way to make the surround work, since it has a design cast into it. I'll get some pictures of this later in the week when the surround is hopefully permanently installed.

September 24 & 25:

During the week I picked up the supplies for the fresh water plumbing and on Friday we ran out for insulation. Wound up with 1 3/8" foil faced "Tuff-R" foam board as it was the thickest (and highest R) we could fit in the wall cavities.

My brother worked outside cutting and installing the insulation. Started Friday on the door side:

Then Saturday he started on the roof:

The he moved to the rear wall:

And finally the road side:

He worked on that right until dark and got it about 90% complete. There's 6 or 8 more little pieces of insulation cut and ready to install on the road side. Then the gaps for wiring and blocking need to be filled with some thinner material and spray foam.

Meanwhile, I was inside working on the fresh water plumbing. Started with the Galley sink:

..And worked my way around. Snakes through the rear storage compartment:

Under the refrigerator:

Through the wall into the bathroom:

Where it feeds the bathroom sink. The valves and pipes through the floor are to drain the pipes. The open Tee is for the City water inlet.

I ran the pipes through into the shower and towards the water heater and water pump, but haven't taken pictures there yet because I didn't finish up all the connections. I'll get that done a couple of nights this week after work.

All the plumbing is 1/2" pex and the foam insulation is really on it to stop vibration. The RV pumps tend to make the pipes vibrate at anything less than full flow, and it really gets annoying. I'm hoping the foam will keep the noise down.

I'll be putting in as much time as possible this week after work (weather permitting) because I am really trying to get the siding on this thing on Saturday.

- Frank
Old 05-21-2011, 08:35 AM   #160

SUN #246
Janalee
Another congrats!

Well Frank..as a still avid lady camper (turned 70 last month and still hauling a 30ft. TT to Florida!), and a lover of any kind of construction, I truly enjoyed the WHOLE process from my computer desk--wish I could have seen it in person! Having owned 16 campers and enjoyed buying, fixing up, and then selling to do another one, I found all of your articles to be very entertaining AND educational--could have used some of those tips a few years ago. I am afraid health issues have forced me to settle down,I am now just enjoying the one I have and watching others do the BIG stuff. Thanks for several hours of great reading!!! Good luck to your brother and wishing him many years of happy camping and great experiences with his new camper! Janalee

'96 2553 & '95 1950 Sunlines
'95 and '98 Solaris 2653's
2002 Solaris T-2363
Janalee is offline   Reply With Quote