Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
Sunline RV Forum
Sunline User Photos

Go Back   Sunline Coach Owner's Club > Sunline Club Community Forums > Sunline Community
Click Here to Login

Join Sunline Club Forums Today

Old 06-25-2011, 04:16 AM   #1

SUN #1935
larry stone is an unknown quantity at this point
Help me decide which trailer is right for my use.

Good morning all tin can tourists!

Back in the day I owned a T-1350 pulled by a 1987 Dodge d-50 long wheelbase 2wd 2.6L 4speed auto compact truck. Plus I had an 1100cc Suzuki in the bed and could climb any mountain with ease.

My tow truck today is a 1986 square body C-10 “Custom Deluxe” with 8’ bed, 4.3V6-w/factory 4v q-jet, stainless exhaust manifolds from the factory, 3 speed turbo 350 with lockup converter, AC, cruise, tilt, and 2.73 open rear axle. It has 125k original miles was aftermarket rust proofed, and has a body to die for still wearing the original paint and pin striping. In the near future I am going to all MSD including a new distributor, MSD box, and MSD coil and get rid of the troublesome GM junk. Also the week I am going to buy a complete 3.42 open rear axle.

My background is that I live in the Western Pocono Mountains and work as the pesticide and fertilizer tech at a country club from April 1 to November 1 and live in a modest ranch home close to the job. I also on weekends handle the remains of what was good landscraping (mostly mowing of larger properties) business before the recession.

Since I am not married or have any dependent children I am going to buy a trailer, weatherproof my home in the Poconos so I will not have to heat it for the winter and go to southwest Florida where I have a friend in the business (pesticide). I figure at the present rates for oil and electric I will save $2k that I can invest in a seasonal campsite for the winter months most likely at Burnt Store marina

The model I am leaning to most is any fifth wheel that is 7’ wide but there are not many of these models made vs. the numbers of tag models of T-1750 and T-1950 that would be my second choice that are on the used market.

I don’t need the bed space anymore for the motorcycle is gone and there is a 13’ boat already in SWFla for my usage.

Fifth wheel or tag? I have four months to look for a good one that does not have rot from water intrusion.

Old 06-25-2011, 05:22 AM   #2

SUN #128
Tweety
Your plan sounds great! I can't say about the towing ease either way, but as far as living I think I'd rather have the trailer. With the little 5th wheel I'd get tired of crawling up into bed, and making the bed up in that little space is going to be a pain. If your truck can handle the 1950 that is a great floorplan for 1 person, but it is 8' wide. Back in the day we towed a 1660 with a Chevy Celebrity midsize wagon with a V6 and had no problems at all.

2012 Arctic Fox 30U, SUNLINES - 2006 2753 "Tweety", 2007 QUE "QUEtSE", 2364, 1660
Tweety is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-25-2011, 06:20 AM   #3

SUN #1935
larry stone is an unknown quantity at this point
I have to exclude any single axle TT's because my head will hit the ceiling and I am not happy with the way they tow.

Most likely the coach will not be used much up north and I will set it up the camper at my GF's cousin's mini-resort near Mt. Pocono for her to use while she is working there as a housekeeper.

This one (a tag model) is on the balto clist right now and has a queen bed and a real bathtub=1993' 18'foot Sunline camper - $2750 (north east md )

This might be the best floor plan and still towable with a six.
Old 06-25-2011, 07:07 AM   #4

SUN #128
Tweety
Just a headsup...those small older Sunlines that are in good condition sell fast. That one looks very nice!
2012 Arctic Fox 30U, SUNLINES - 2006 2753 "Tweety", 2007 QUE "QUEtSE", 2364, 1660
Tweety is offline   Reply With Quote