Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
Sunline RV Forum
Sunline User Photos

Go Back   Sunline Coach Owner's Club > Sunline Club Community Forums > Sunline Community
Click Here to Login

Join Sunline Club Forums Today

Old 01-01-2008, 12:20 PM   #1

SUN #187
precorguy
Happy New Year 08 and website - how to????

hi all
> welcome to 2008 -- hope all the best for all of you and the upcoming camping season -- although waking up to 2-3 inches of snow this morning doesn't make camping seem very likely

on another note - is there a dirt simple way of creating and hosting your own website --- i have been thinking of this, and although i have no major issues with computer use/equipment --- this troubles me --- i have no idea where to start or what to do once i get there.

any pointers would be great!

thanks

Old 01-04-2008, 08:45 PM   #2

SUN #115
emam
This is where I was a year ago. I had no idea how to put together a website for our adventure and didnt want to pay someone for something that we would be updating daily.

My cousin had just took a local Community Education Class that consisted of a few hours of class for a few nights a week. I think the total cost was around $60.

I sat down with him with a note pad and my computer and he showed me what he knew. We sat for a few hours trying different things and in no time had a template drawn out. The rest I taught myself while on the road.

We use Microsoft Frontpage and if you ask anyone in the business, they'll tell you that Frontpage is a lame program that isnt for web builders, but for home hacks that want to post some pictures of their kids. What ever they say, it's suited me fine and both Cindy and I seem to like it. I'd say what ever you're comfrotable with, learn it and stick with it.

It's not as hard as it seems, and once you have the basics down, it's quite simple. Once I learned, I'm kicking myself for paying someone to host our site when we owned the Saloon and paid out the whazoo for our website....But you live and learn.

Good luck and remember Google is your friend. Just type in any question you have and it should answer it with more sites than you'll probably have time to go through

Pat

Pat & Cindy Bonish
www.everymilesamemory.com
www.lowkeyhideaway.com
emam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2008, 07:31 AM   #3

SUN #128
Tweety
Well Pat...maybe you just figured out how to stay on the road as long as you want and make some money too. Let people pay you out the wazoo to maintain their websites.
2012 Arctic Fox 30U, SUNLINES - 2006 2753 "Tweety", 2007 QUE "QUEtSE", 2364, 1660
Tweety is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2008, 02:04 PM   #4

SUN #492
GhettoMedic
Well, I use microsoft frontpage for a couple simple sites I made. It is easy and does not require any skill.
I also host them for free through Netfirms ( www.netfirms.com )
They let you choose your own name and it will come out as: www.yourname.netfirms.com
They offer it for free because they put a few safe and friendly ads on the very top of each page.
https://i221.photobucket.com/albums/d...9/mycamper.jpg
GhettoMedic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2008, 03:29 PM   #5

SUN #115
emam
Quote:
Originally Posted by Quetse
Well Pat...maybe you just figured out how to stay on the road as long as you want and make some money too. Let people pay you out the wazoo to maintain their websites.
I only wish I had that much time...LOL

Try and run that by Cindy, and I think you'll get an ear full. She already thinks I spend way too much time on the cpu

Pat

Pat & Cindy Bonish
www.everymilesamemory.com
www.lowkeyhideaway.com
emam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2008, 09:58 PM   #6

SUN #78
tedontario
Hi precorguy. I decided a few years back to put together a website. My son-in-law is a computer programmer who used to write web material for Best Buy. I had tried several different programs and he said why not just use windows note pad. My DW Judy downloaded a program called HTML primer and I went at it. A friend of ours told me how to register and www.essexwheelers.ca was born. It is not always easy and sometimes I sit and stare wondering what little bit of program text I have missed but it has been fun. I now use and FTP program called NVU which is a free download to edit my site. I always start a new page in Notepad with a copy from a different page and then load it into NVU then add text and photos as I chose. It is a great why to pass information on to my 9 brothers and sisters and friends. What ever you do it is fun to see your work take shape.

Ted