Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
Sunline RV Forum
Sunline User Photos

Go Back   Sunline Coach Owner's Club > Sunline Club Community Forums > Sunline Community
Click Here to Login

Join Sunline Club Forums Today

Old 04-24-2018, 12:28 PM   #41

SUN #2097
mainah is an unknown quantity at this point
Quote:
Originally Posted by JohnB View Post
ZOOOOOOOOMMMMM...................

OK, that just flew over my head about a 1,000 feet....

I guess a prerequisite for being a ham operator is to learn the lingo...

I can generally talk shop with the best of them, but not quite yet on this topic...
Yeah it's another universe. However if you are into weather the site I posted is really neat a lot of the data comes from hams and weather enthousiast they have special gear that listens the the electrical noise lightning makes and they triangulate the exact point of a lightning strike. It is then transferred to google maps to give almost instant results. It also shows cloud cover so it's useful year round. lightningmaps.org

Old 04-24-2018, 08:06 PM   #42

SUN #89
JohnB is on a distinguished road
Thanks for the link to. Pretty cool stuff.
Real-Time Lightning Map :: LightningMaps.org

I'll have to try it the next time a storm comes our way. There is one in Texas at the time I view it tonight.

Google Custom Search For Sunline Owners Club
JohnB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-2018, 08:48 AM   #43

SUN #2097
Quote:
Originally Posted by JohnB View Post
Thanks for the link to. Pretty cool stuff.
Real-Time Lightning Map :: LightningMaps.org

I'll have to try it the next time a storm comes our way. There is one in Texas at the time I view it tonight.
Yeah play with it a little bit you can turn on the lines that are used to triangulate you can turn on the sound for thunder if there is a storm close enough to hear and click on the full screen so you don't have to deal with cookey thing. You can use google maps to locate your location too.
Old 04-25-2018, 05:59 PM   #44

SUN #9247
enormiss is an unknown quantity at this point
Just used that site as I heard a BOOM that I wasn't sure what it was. There's no rain or storms forecast that I'm aware of but the site detected it. Nothing else in the area, just that one blip on the map... pretty cool
Old 08-02-2018, 05:52 AM   #45

SUN #10636
holmzie is an unknown quantity at this point
Hey Mainah, UNIXdude, and others, SOOO this is where is where the Sunline HAMs hang out. Pleasure reading your posts. Hope this thread won't wither on the vine!

I'm on my way to attack the tires on my Sun Ray today, Will up date on my Tower Conversion thread.

holmzie N2EXG
Old 08-02-2018, 06:24 AM   #46

SUN #2097
I hope we can keep it going the technology grows every day so there is always something new to talk about. Our club just moved our equipment to a new building from it's old location of 30+ years. That turned out to be an endeavor the building had almost zero grounding it housed a broadcast FM transmitter and a commercial two way for an oil co. When I was done we had a halo ground and tie in to the 105' tower. Our VHF antenna is the lighting target it's another 20' above the tower. The owners of the mountain run a ski slope so they handed us their 3 UHF radios and "you won't mind installing these would you?" Just to add more fun the NH power co op has all of their gear on the tower too so enter a combiner for our UHF DMR and the mountains radios, 4 radios two antennas one TX the other RX. Off to NH today to pick up a cable tray to hold all the new feed lines. I'll add some pictures after the next mountain trip.
Old 08-02-2018, 10:12 AM   #47

SUN #10274
Irishman is an unknown quantity at this point
Ham Radio

Hi All: I will be attending the Adirondack NY meet and greet, 9/6-9/9. I will be at site # 82 and monitoring 146.52 on the way from New Berlin NY. If the tree coverage allows I will set up some type of antennas. Frank

Irishman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-2018, 09:32 AM   #48

SUN #10636
Hay folks, quick ques for Mainah

I spent 30 summers in Pittsburg, NH on Lake Frances, starting in 1958, and many in Maine on Echo Lake, as a camper and then a worker as a boys "Camp Skogland" Climbed ALL the mountains, some many times, paddled the streams, rivers and lakes. I was just curious what ham club you belong to, and which mountain you were referring to. Great country, cant wait do get up there again.

holmzie N2EXG
Old 08-09-2018, 03:37 PM   #49

SUN #2097
We are the Mt. Washington Valley ARC, the club call is W1MWV our ARIES group is K1MWV it has a portable UHF repeater. Our UHF is DMR the club VHF is 145.45 with a 100HZ PL Our transmitters are atop Mt. Cranmore in Conway NH. Great area to visit pretty much year round there is a lull between summer and leaf season and mud season to spring but other than that it pretty much a year round destination area. There are dozens of campgrounds within 20 miles 3 in my tiny town of Brownfield ME alone pop. 1100 in 43 square miles plus my 80 acres on the Saco river.
Old 08-09-2018, 06:24 PM   #50

SUN #9247
Headed to Mt Washington next weekend to check it off the list
Old 08-09-2018, 08:10 PM   #51

SUN #680
dkasten39828 is an unknown quantity at this point
Wow... camping HAM's!! That's what I'm trying to be myself.

Studying now for my ticket... hope to have that in-hand before the end of the year.
Gonna stick with 2-meter to begin with and just listen on the HF, at least to start with.
I have a 2-meter HT (RadioShack HTX-202) and I'm saving for a Yaesu FT-2800 or similar for the primary 2-meter at home. Lots to learn.
5.3 liter V8, 3.73LS, Prodigy, Hensley Arrow
2004 Sunline Solaris SE T-2499 #5527
dkasten39828 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-2018, 09:45 PM   #52

SUN #10636
Hi Dkasten. I am sure you know that there are great on-line tests for all the license tickets. Make sure you are on a current version. For all that don't know, we have a running "Parks On The Air" thing happening, and also an "International Grid Chase" among the tens of contests and activities. JUST LISTENING is exciting when you hear call signs from various parts of the country and the world. Some may even be on 2 meters and 440.

I have a Yaesu 857 which is now sort of out-of-date, but it receives DC to Daylight, and transmits on HF-6 meters, 2 meters, and 440. This is an all-mode rig: you can use any mode: CW, SSB, FM with all bells and whistles. Has separate antenna jack for HF- 6 mtrs, and 2mtrs/440. Find a ham club in your area and go to one of their "ham-fest"s flea-markets. You can find this and other similar rigs out there for reasonable prices. Check out the ARRL.org, CQ mag, and check out Craig's list to get an idea what used equip is out there. Sometimes a new member of a club may be "loaned" a radio until you are ready to buy what they really want.

Good Luck!

holmzie N2EXG
Old 08-10-2018, 05:22 AM   #53

SUN #2097
Quote:
Originally Posted by enormiss View Post
Headed to Mt Washington next weekend to check it off the list
The club is the trustee for the 448.225 repeater on Mt.Washington so between that and the Climb to the Clouds auto race I get up there a lot. Was actually helping one of the guys from the Mt.Washington Observatory yesterday move some gear. They have a great museum, interactive displays, and a small movie theater in Conway and the best part it's free! Hope you have good weather on the rock pile for your trip, you going to drive up? Staying locally?
Old 08-10-2018, 05:52 AM   #54

SUN #2097
Quote:
Originally Posted by dkasten39828 View Post
Wow... camping HAM's!! That's what I'm trying to be myself.

Studying now for my ticket... hope to have that in-hand before the end of the year.
Gonna stick with 2-meter to begin with and just listen on the HF, at least to start with.
I have a 2-meter HT (RadioShack HTX-202) and I'm saving for a Yaesu FT-2800 or similar for the primary 2-meter at home. Lots to learn.
I don't leave to go camping without my ham gear! Have a 2/440 mobile permanently mounted in the camper and HF antenna gear in the compartments just grab my IC7300 and hit the road! Nothing will make much sense to you when you start to study but keep at it and will all come together check around and see if there is a club in your area most hams are very helpful and you don't have to be a ham to join go to the meetings and meet some hams. Ham radio is a lifetime adventure every year something new comes up to bruise your brain.
Old 08-10-2018, 02:17 PM   #55

SUN #9247
Going to PM you mainah