Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
Sunline RV Forum
Sunline User Photos

Go Back   Sunline Coach Owner's Club > Sunline Club Community Forums > Sunline Community
Click Here to Login

Join Sunline Club Forums Today

Old 03-07-2018, 06:23 PM   #21

SUN #89
JohnB is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by mainah View Post
I went all over the camper with a meger the dang thing is pretty well connected together roof metal.
Yes, amazingly with all the putty tape, dirt, Darco membrane and paint that all the siding, window frames and door frames are connected as one. I was doing a grounding check on the siding and sure enough, every wall location I found was common to earth ground. And there is only 1 grounding wire connection. I did not test every window and piece of siding on the camper, but I was so astonished it was that good I stopped checking.

I guess all those zillion screws holding the siding moldings/windows/door frames on creates a pretty good continuity path.

Google Custom Search For Sunline Owners Club
JohnB is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-2018, 06:14 PM   #22

SUN #2097
mainah is an unknown quantity at this point
New question, any hams out there using DMR? Our club now has a repeater up in Conway NH it's call is W1MWV on the Marc DMR moto turbo network. Give a shout some time on North America!
de N3LYT.

Old 04-10-2018, 11:09 AM   #23

SUN #9299
broadways is an unknown quantity at this point
Ham radio in Ohio

After remodeling a 1971 Holiday "Vacationer", I now have moved on to a 26' "canned ham II" unit that has been converted to an ARES/disaster response trailer. It's a 2001 Coachman. Delaware Amateur Radio Association
The back portion is stock (giving us the ability to eat, sleep and bathe the crew). JohnB, who operates at the "Wizard" level is right next door, and his knowledge has been a huge help to keep the trailer up to speed.
For quick retreats, KE8BKR and I might be found in our 2006 Keystone Cougar bumper pull somewhere in Ohio.
-Stan, N8BHL (COML, OH SEC)
Old 04-15-2018, 12:59 PM   #24

SUN #123
Sunline Fan is an unknown quantity at this point
Quote:
Originally Posted by broadways View Post
After remodeling a 1971 Holiday "Vacationer", I now have moved on to a 26' "canned ham II" unit that has been converted to an ARES/disaster response trailer. It's a 2001 Coachman. Delaware Amateur Radio Association
The back portion is stock (giving us the ability to eat, sleep and bathe the crew). JohnB, who operates at the "Wizard" level is right next door, and his knowledge has been a huge help to keep the trailer up to speed.
For quick retreats, KE8BKR and I might be found in our 2006 Keystone Cougar bumper pull somewhere in Ohio.
-Stan, N8BHL (COML, OH SEC)
Welcome Stan! It looks like your post was hung up by our spam filter, because it quarantines any post with a link by an author with less than five posts. I approved it now.

So are you neighbors with the great JohnB?!
2007 T-286SR Cherry/Granola, #6236, original owner, current mileage: 9473.8 (as of 6/18/21)
1997 T-2653 Blue Denim, #5471
1979 12 1/2' MC, Beige & Avocado, #4639
Past Sunlines: '97 T-2653 #5089, '94 T-2251, '86 T-1550, '94 T-2363, '98 T-270SR
Sunline Fan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-15-2018, 03:32 PM   #25

SUN #9299
Radio trailer

Yes, I have the extreme privilege of living in close proximity to John. I had no idea how much I didn't know! I can testify that he is so far above expert, then guru, then wizard that we'll have to invent a whole new word to describe his knowledge. Artist? (I'm sure I'll hear about this later)

In answer to another question, I've begun using DMR here, and I'm excited about the possibilities for emergency work (assuming we still have an Internet). We plan to use the "Ohio Channel" as one method of alerting statewide for an activation. Not my primary mode, but an MD-380 is too inexpensive not to try!
Old 04-15-2018, 05:30 PM   #26

SUN #2097
Quote:

Yes, I have the extreme privilege of living in close proximity to John. I had no idea how much I didn't know! I can testify that he is so far above expert, then guru, then wizard that we'll have to invent a whole new word to describe his knowledge. Artist? (I'm sure I'll hear about this later)

In answer to another question, I've begun using DMR here, and I'm excited about the possibilities for emergency work (assuming we still have an Internet). We plan to use the "Ohio Channel" as one method of alerting statewide for an activation. Not my primary mode, but an MD-380 is too inexpensive not to try!
That's what got me started in DMR a cheap hand held. Knowing nothing it was a trial by fire and very little made sense I now write code plugs from scratch and have a dual band in the truck. We bought a Motorola DMR repeater last year and it replaced our clubs UHF analog unit so we are having fun with that and every week we get more people interested in DMR. It has its place in emergency situations as long as the web is up it can have state wide emergency coverage. Our club has a very active ARIES group and they meet on our repeaters every Monday night in NH.
Old 04-17-2018, 06:50 PM   #27

SUN #89
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sunline Fan View Post
Welcome Stan!
Quote:

Gee guys, thanks for the good words. I'm humbled....

Don't put me too high up on the pedestal... It really "hurts" when you hit the ground falling that far... I just like fixing all things camper related.

Old 04-18-2018, 08:19 AM   #28

SUN #2097
John you need a ham ticket. It's a lot of fun to get on the radio on a summer's night while camping.
Old 04-19-2018, 03:52 PM   #29

SUN #9421
UNIXdude is an unknown quantity at this point
NJ2IT checking into net ...

I bought my Sunny from a member of my club. He’s used it for many a Field Day. Last year, after I acquired it, I too used it for Field Day as our club’s GOTA station.

I still have a ton of work to fix all the water damage, hopefully I will get it fixed enough to use for this year’s Field Day.

While I have some of the walls open, I want to run some cables for the antenna access, so I can connect the exterior feed line to an access point, then a simple patch cable inside to the operating station, inside of leaving the access panel door open on the front compartment.

If anyone is in the South New Jersey area and has some time before Field Day, I could use some help. I can pay in cash and home cooked food.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Old 04-19-2018, 05:52 PM   #30

SUN #2097
Quote:
Originally Posted by UNIXdude View Post
NJ2IT checking into net ...

I bought my Sunny from a member of my club. He’s used it for many a Field Day. Last year, after I acquired it, I too used it for Field Day as our club’s GOTA station.

I still have a ton of work to fix all the water damage, hopefully I will get it fixed enough to use for this year’s Field Day.

While I have some of the walls open, I want to run some cables for the antenna access, so I can connect the exterior feed line to an access point, then a simple patch cable inside to the operating station, inside of leaving the access panel door open on the front compartment.

If anyone is in the South New Jersey area and has some time before Field Day, I could use some help. I can pay in cash and home cooked food.

Long barrel SO239 super easy. I do the gota station for our club's field day in NH! To be more visible I set up on the porch of the Tin Mountain Conservatory building (they are kind enough to let us use their facility for the event) with my camper backed up to the deck and my 15 meter rotatable dipole on the back of the camper up about 25' I run 100% solar for extra points. Sorry I'm a little far away to come help (ME) and after spending many hours trying the cross the GW bridge when I head south I fly!
Old 04-19-2018, 09:43 PM   #31

SUN #89
Quote:
John you need a ham ticket. It's a lot of fun to get on the radio on a summer's night while camping.
Thanks, Another camping hobby to get into... Cool!

Well, I do have a radio wizard nearby that I'm sure he can help. He has more antennas growing over there then I have hair on my head...

If I end up with a call number, I will be sure to post. I have to get a few campers rebuilt first so it might be a while.

Thanks

John

Old 04-20-2018, 10:10 AM   #32

SUN #2097
Here you go that's just my truck! Simular gear for the camper and I won't even go there with the house! Yeah it's addictive not sure what's worse drugs or ham radio.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg IMG_4159 (640x480).jpg (115.0 KB, 10 views)
Old 04-20-2018, 08:19 PM   #33

SUN #89
Quote:
Here you go that's just my truck! Simular gear for the camper and I won't even go there with the house! Yeah it's addictive not sure what's worse drugs or ham radio.
Ah, I see "equipment" upgrades with ham radio seems to come along for the ride. My neighbor Stan (Broadways screen name) I think has a few extra on the truck too... There is a lot "whipping in the wind" and I do not know what they are all for. One is even a Y configuration

I take it, your mobile setup is in full operation at a beckon call...

Thanks for the pics

John

Old 04-21-2018, 06:13 AM   #34

SUN #2097
Yes the mobile gear stays with the truck the longest mast is attached to what is known as a "screwdriver" antenna. It is motorized and the very first ones used a battery portable drill motor to operate them hence the name it is for HF with a very wide operating frequency range primarily for long distance think shortwave radio. The smaller one on the back is FM and is local operation 50 miles from a good location it is UHF/VHF primarily used through repeaters. The one on the side is basically the same it is DMR (digital mobile radio) It operates through repeaters linked to the internet this would give me mobile coverage world wide from the truck. I use it for tri state coms mostly. A good part of the drill here is because I am the tech for the radio club I'm the one that goes up the mountain to deal with repeater issues so I kind of listen to make sure everything is working properly. The camper is similarly equipped with the ability to mount antennas up at around 25'. I have talked to some pretty exotic places from the camper! To answer your question before you ask just about every ham no matter where specks English as a 2nd 3rd or 4th language!
Old 04-21-2018, 06:48 AM   #35

SUN #9421
UNIXdude is an unknown quantity at this point
Speaking of ham radio and Sunny’s, is anyone planning to take their Sunny to Dayton next month for Hamvention? If so, maybe we can plan for an eyeball QSO?

I go to Dayton every year, but will not be taking my Sunny since I have relatives in the area I stay with. If there is enough interest, I’ll start another thread for this topic.

Old 04-21-2018, 03:11 PM   #36

SUN #2097
I had thought about it but we have a big one in NH the first weekend in May our club camps there and sells. My anniversary is the 13th then down to MD the end of the month so May is a busy month for me plus its a good 600 plus miles.
Old 04-23-2018, 09:31 AM   #37

SUN #9299
Won't be a Sunny but I will have my Coachmen "Canned Ham" in the emcomm display. I believe we'll be near the front gate- PLEASE stop by to say hello Friday or Saturday!! I may even have a story or two about JohnB. [Only inserted that to get his attention ]

I just upgraded to a new Icom 2730 dual-band; also Icom 706 with LDG tuner and Hustler resonators on 20 and 40. I use a grounded Diamond K400 clamp mount on the tailgate since there's no room under the bumper to drill, but it's worked well with the short 18" Hustler mast. I have a boltek lightning detector & PC for chasing storms. Decided not to go with a DMR mobile, just plug my handheld into a mag mount when i decide to carry it along. Now, if I could just find the time to actually ~operate~!
Old 04-23-2018, 12:05 PM   #38

SUN #2097
Quad band Yeasu 8900, IC 706 mk2 G and a TYT MD 9600 DMR in the truck. LiL Tarheel for the 706. I have lightingmaps.org loaded in my computers I'm kind of guessing you know about that site it is really cool and extremely accurate if I have the thunder sound turned on and watch the circle I hear the thunder as soon as the circle reaches my location! I like the Canned Ham I have a ham friend with an aluminum Avalon trailer I'll have drop the name on him! I'm on when ever I'm in the truck and every night 7:30 or so mostly 75 meters often 3941 with the rest of the old duffers here in Maine.
Old 04-24-2018, 08:19 AM   #39

SUN #89
ZOOOOOOOOMMMMM...................

OK, that just flew over my head about a 1,000 feet....

I guess a prerequisite for being a ham operator is to learn the lingo...

I can generally talk shop with the best of them, but not quite yet on this topic...

Old 04-24-2018, 08:51 AM   #40

SUN #6738
Campnut is an unknown quantity at this point
Quote:
Originally Posted by Irishman View Post
Campnut: If you can make it to the PA Meet & Greet we could have an eyeball. LOL Frank
I haven't been able to make the meet and greets the last few years since it was to close to Creationfest near Mt Union. Been going there every year to help with ham radio and field day. Been talking it over with my DW to see if we can make it this year since we aren't going to make Creation this year.

Campnut is offline   Reply With Quote