Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
Sunline RV Forum
Sunline User Photos

Go Back   Sunline Coach Owner's Club > Sunline Club Community Forums > Sunline Community
Click Here to Login

Join Sunline Club Forums Today

Old 04-12-2011, 10:00 AM   #21

SUN #1879
OhhWell is an unknown quantity at this point
Amy,

I recently towed my first TT ever and it was a 28' beast. I will second what has been said that the first thing you must overcome is the fear. Driving with confidence and controll is important.

One thing you can do to get used to backing up a trailer is just rent one of those 16 or 18 foot yard trailers from home depot and practice with it. You can see plain over the top of it while practicing. Spend a few hours backing it up into parking spots etc and when you move to your TT, even though you wil not be able to see over it, you will have a more instinctual feel for what will happen when you turn the wheel.

The 7pin wiring... Our truck was a 99 'burb with the tow packacge. What that meant was (AS far as wiring) that it still had the 4 pin adapter but they had run two wires from the relay block under the hood all the way back to the rear bumper. They were taped up out of the way at both ends. One is for the brake controller, the other for auxiliarly power.

Since those wires were there, the brake controller install was somewhat easy. The Brake Controller sits in the cab of your truck so it needs to have a heavy dudty wire to the battery, a thin wire to a port on the truck that tells it when the brakes are pressed a short heavy duty ground and a long heavy duty wire back to the 7pin connecter. Most newer trucks make this pretty easy as there is a single port that you can plug into with the propper adapter. I did not have that luxury on our vehicle.

On the hitch end, I purchased a new 7pin recepticle that was made to plug into a 4 pin and had 2 extra wires. Instead of just plugging into the existing 4 pin, I clipped both connectors and spliced with a crimping connector then wrapped the whole thing with plenty of tape.

Former trailers - '94 T-2770
'02 t-2753
'08 Keystone Sprinter 299BHSS
OhhWell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2011, 12:27 PM   #22

SUN #1403
agrasso68 is an unknown quantity at this point
I called up etrailer and they hooked me up with what I needed. Once I get someone to install the items, I plan on practicing in a very large, empty parking lot!

agrasso68 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-2011, 09:51 PM   #23

SUN #1404
dadzilla50 is an unknown quantity at this point
Amy: We, too, are getting ready for our first camping trip. We towed our trailer from Washington, D.C. area to Murfreesboro, Tenn. (near Nashville), when we bought it this winter but this weekend will be our first camping trip. We set it up with a Tekonsha P3 and it worked great. We have a 2002 Sunline Solaris T-2570 and it towed pretty easily behind our Lincoln Navigator with a weight distribution/sway bars hitch.
Old 05-06-2011, 09:52 PM   #24

SUN #1404
dadzilla50 is an unknown quantity at this point
Amy: lLet us know how your first trip went.