Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
Sunline RV Forum
Sunline User Photos

Go Back   Sunline Coach Owner's Club > Sunline Club Community Forums > Sunline Community
Click Here to Login

Join Sunline Club Forums Today

Old 06-08-2007, 03:37 PM   #1

SUN #98
PTHutch is an unknown quantity at this point
Frame Manufacturer for 2006 T-2499

I saw this post, Sunline Frame Info on the Open Roads Forum.

An individual is looking for information on who makes the frame of a 2006 T-2499. I wasn't sure if it is Lippert Components, so I thought I would pass the question on here. Suggested that he post a message here, but if he doesn't, if anyone can help him out or give me the information and I'll post it on the Open Roads Forum.

Thanks
Hutch

Sunlines: 2005 Solaris T-280SR; 1999 Solaris T-2670; 1998 Saturn T-24A
PTHutch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-08-2007, 08:28 PM   #2

SUN #123
Sunline Fan is an unknown quantity at this point
Hutch,

I don't know who makes the frames, other than it wasn't Sunline. The tire wear part sounds like a bent axle, but the battery tray thing threw me. I spoke with a cargo trailer dealer a few months back and they said bent trailer axles are more common than you think, especially on Michigan roads. Now that I think about it, I had something going on with the 2363, because the left rear tire was worn down (to the point where metal pieces were sticking out) when I got it. I found this a little odd because one tire shouldn't normally wear this much. I figured they were original tires and were just old. Upon further inspection, the tires were newer (the previous owners said they replaced them, but you never know) because they lacked the scuff band around the sidewall like the older model Goodyear's had. I ended up swapping the tires and wheels from that to the 2251, and vise versa, because I had painted the other set of wheels. I had the one bad tire replaced and figured all problems were solved...Right? Well, I noticed the left rear tire now (original Goodyear's from '94) on the 2363 started showing a little wear. I didn't put many miles on that one, but I saw the start of it, and it didn't happen when those were on the 2251.

The moral of the story: I'm guessing the axle was slightly bent, but I didn't keep it long enough to find out.

Also, my dad's car hauler has a problem where the spring mounts are a little off center. It causes some inside fender rubbing, but not enough to justify pulling everything off and re-welding.

I'm surprised about the crack. My only suggestion for this is faulty metal.

Even though I wouldn't rule out the crack as a reason for the front crossmember/batt. tray bowing up, it sounds like whatever hitch was used was too tight, and therefore put a lot of stress on the frame. I'd need more details as to what type of hitch, what weight ratings the spring bars have, etc., in order to make an educated decision if that could be at fault.

I'd also be curious to know where exactly this crack is at. Is it in a crossmember, in the rails themselves, or near the axles?

Jon

P.S. If Nelsoje doesn't come over here, feel free to post this over on the Open Roads Forum.

2007 T-286SR Cherry/Granola, #6236, original owner, current mileage: 9473.8 (as of 6/18/21)
1997 T-2653 Blue Denim, #5471
1979 12 1/2' MC, Beige & Avocado, #4639
Past Sunlines: '97 T-2653 #5089, '94 T-2251, '86 T-1550, '94 T-2363, '98 T-270SR
Sunline Fan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-2007, 05:05 AM   #3

SUN #125
1boomer
At the end of last summer, I had to replace all four tires, Maxxis brand. When the tires had about 18,000 miles on them we were in British Columbia luckily in a campground near a tire dealer.

Doing my morning walkaround, I noticed the passenger side front tire was showing a strip of steel so I had the shop swap out the spare for the bad one.

Later on in the trip, in South Dakota, the rear tire on the same side began to show some balding but no steel yet. By now, not having a spare caused us to cut our trip short and head for home.

When we arrived home, the three original tires were worn basically the same, some showing steel. When I saw that, I knew I goofed and should have stopped to get new tires somewhere along the way for sake of safety.

I bought four new Marathons and took the trailer plus the old tires to a local Manufacturer/dealer of all types of utility trailers, specializing in horse trailers. They gave our '04 2499 a complete going over, measuring and checking for any axle misalighnment or bending, loose hubs etc. and could find nothing wrong. Their only comment was that the trailer was probably overloaded.

I don't believe that to be true since everytime we leave for our extended trips the TT goes on the local scales and I keep all the weight tickets. The heaviest the trailer has ever been was 6657# at the beginning of last summer's trip. I also check inflation and lug nuts religiously throughout the journey.

The outcome is the original tires lasted just a little over 20.000 miles and I can find no reason why. Our Sunline dealer said that that was about what we could expect, but did advise me to go with Marathons (which he had no vested interest in since he doesn't sell tires.) He just believed they were the best from his experience.

Sorry for such a long post but I'm still scratching my head and looking for answers too.
Old 06-11-2007, 09:18 AM   #4

SUN #98
PTHutch is an unknown quantity at this point
I would be trilled if I got 20,000 miles out of our trailer tires. The rule of thumb for expected trailer tire life is 20,000 miles or 5 years, which ever comes first for “ST” tires.

With our previous trailer I had two tires blow out on me the same day during an extended trip. They had ~19,000 miles on them and were 4 years old, replaced all four tires while on the trip.

So I would have to agree with your Sunline dealer wrt his statement that getting 20,000 miles out of your tires is typical. I also agree with his recommendation for Goodyear Marthons, they're an excellent trailer tire.
Sunlines: 2005 Solaris T-280SR; 1999 Solaris T-2670; 1998 Saturn T-24A
PTHutch is offline   Reply With Quote