Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
Sunline RV Forum
Sunline User Photos

Go Back   Sunline Coach Owner's Club > Sunline Club Community Forums > Sunline Community
Click Here to Login

Join Sunline Club Forums Today

Old 11-14-2009, 05:43 PM   #1

SUN #93
Poppy & Nana is an unknown quantity at this point
Family Vacation

DH & I usually vacation with DD, SIL & 2 GS at Grass Point State Park, 1000 Island area of NY during August......much to my surprise when I went on line last night to make the reservations the CG was BOOKED in the loop we camp...have a 6 y/o who likes riding his bike so some of the other available sites are just not suitable

I looked at the Jersey shore area - results were ZIPPO....

Decided to look toward Maryland and low and behold I was able to reserve two sites next to each other in Assateaque State Park ~ Loop E starting Thursday August 19 for 4 nights...YEA

Called DD and she was excited the 16 y/o GS is not too happy - he made friends at Grass Point and was looking forward to seeing them again this year.....oh well, can't please everyone.

Now all I can hope for is to see some wild horses!!!!!!

Has anyone camped there????

Is it August yet????

We loved our 2007 T-2499
2010 Ford F-350 4x4 Lariat Super Crew Dually Diesel
Poppy & Nana is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-15-2009, 06:22 AM   #2

SUN #28
sunnyseagull
Hi Kathy and Leo

I have not camped there but have been there several times we usallly stay at frontiertown up the road from assateaque. it is a very nice park and there is alot to do in the area the Ocean city board walk with all its rides and restuarants is only about 20 mins up the road and there are outlets along rt 50 where trt 611 meet, my oldest son will be camping there is august with his boy scout troope so I am trying to get into Frontier town the same week . I think that you will enjoy it and yes you will see ponys on the beack which is jus over the dunes from the campgronds have a great time, p.s. I have heard that the mosqitos are tough there in july and august so heads up !! Dan

Old 11-15-2009, 06:53 AM   #3

SUN #292
Honda03842 is an unknown quantity at this point
We usually camp in Assateague NATIONAL Park every year, usually in April or October. We have also heard that mosquitos are a problem in July and August.

In the National Park the wild horses are a true delight, they truly own the place and will rub their itchy rumps against your RV or gallop along the beach.

At least from the National Park you can access 40 miles of open beach with an appropriate vehicle, this is truly a unique piece of coast.
Honda03842 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-16-2009, 08:11 AM   #4

SUN #64
MACK C-85 is an unknown quantity at this point
Kathy & Leo:

You will see ponies!! They will make good use of your awning for shade. I remember one trip there when I was younger there was a VW van camper next to us and the side door (that had a canopy attached to it) was left open, three ponies were standing under the canopy with thier heads very happily inside the van!!

You will need some protection from the Green Headed Flies and Mosquitoes, if you have a screen room I would strongly recommend you bring it. Shade is hard to come by, the flies fly in squadrons and have a mean bite. Depending on the wind (lack of any or blowing from the west off the bay) will bring out the bugs in force. An Ocean breeze will usually keep them at bay. Also, be prepared to anchor things (screen rooms, awning straps, etc.) in sand, regular anchors (standard tent pegs, corkscrews, etc.) are not going to hold.

If you think you would like to do some of the four wheeling mentioned, check the National Parks website for equipment you'll need. There is a permit required and quite a bit of stuff required (jack, shovel, jackboards, etc.)

This site will give you some idea of the activities available in the area (might help convince that 16yo G/S he'll be ok)

http://ococean.com/things-to-do

We also stay at Frontiertown mainly because mdfiregal wants full hookups! It's a real fun area. The town of Berlin is not far away if you like Antiques and such. BTW...Berlin has "stood in" as the fictional town of Hale, MD in the Runaway Bride and the town of Treegap in Tuck Everlasting.

The area took a beating from the "Noreaster" that hit this past week, lots of erosion and flooding, but it should be back to "normal" soon.

Have fun,

Mack

2004 Dodge Ram 2500 Club Cab 4x4 CTD
2007 Sunline Solaris T-276-SR: Misty Blue/Cherry
2001 Dodge Ram 1500 Reg Cab 4x4 OFF-ROAD
MACK C-85 is offline   Reply With Quote