Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
Sunline RV Forum
Sunline User Photos

Go Back   Sunline Coach Owner's Club > Sunline Club Community Forums > Sunline Community
Click Here to Login

Join Sunline Club Forums Today

Old 02-24-2012, 01:33 PM   #1

SUN #2431
bdichristina is an unknown quantity at this point
Emergency Travel in your Sunline

If something were to happen that would call for you to evacuate your neighborhood, do any of you have plans that involve “bugging-out” with your Sunline?

No; we don’t spend our time in airports with signs that say “the end is near”, nor will you see us on a NatGeo “Doomsday Preppers” episode. I will say though, that we do keep an extended supply of previsions on hand at any given time and we always have our 72-hour bags ready to go if needed. Living in Western New York has taught us that power failures and/or snow storms can cripple our area in the blink of an eye. In fact, it has come to be rather expected over the years. The recent mild weather pattern and lack of snow for this region is unusual to say the least.

Still, it started us thinking that if we had to go, could we take our Sunline? We would have to say that at this point in time, that answer would be a most definite “no”, and with a long list of variables working against that possibility.

The first of many obstacles we would meet would be time. We have always “weathered the storm” at home (pun intended). Even when the lights went out, which we have to say has never happened to us for more than 24 hours (though close neighbors have been without grid power for up to three and four weeks). As time passes especially during a storm, so erodes our avenues of escape. If one of our famous lake effect, snow storms grew to a ferocity that deemed it too dangerous for us to stay in our home, it would be far too late to expect to travel the roads with one of our tow vehicles let alone our trailer.

Another obstacle would be access to the trailer itself. It was emptied, winterized, covered, raised on blocks and parked on the side of the house when the ground was dry. If the ground was frozen, we might have a chance at it. But a four-by-four up to its chassis in mud would be the only outcome of any attempt to retrieve it today.

I’m afraid the comforts of our home-away-from-home, would have to stay at home if we could not!

2009 Jay Feather Sport 165 - "Little Bird"
Former: '03 Super Duty, '04 Suburban, '84 Sunline T-1750, '99 Sunline T-2553, '04 Terry Quantum AX6,
bdichristina is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2012, 03:27 PM   #2

SUN #2097
mainah is an unknown quantity at this point
We camped in ours in the garage last summer during the hurricane had lights,TV, cooked dinner even had a nice warm shower! I did have to plug my small generator in to run the fridge/freezer for the house until we got our power back. Were at 560' above sea level so I guess if we had an extended power outage we would stay put not much chance of flooding. Winter does not bother me much I have 4 wheel drive every thing big generator, wood heat and a snow mobile.

Old 02-24-2012, 03:40 PM   #3

SUN #2431
bdichristina is an unknown quantity at this point
That's a great example of hunkering down and "bugging-in". It's nice to have the trailer available as a dwelling if the house becomes otherwise unlivable.

Thanks for sharing!

2009 Jay Feather Sport 165 - "Little Bird"
Former: '03 Super Duty, '04 Suburban, '84 Sunline T-1750, '99 Sunline T-2553, '04 Terry Quantum AX6,
bdichristina is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2012, 06:22 PM   #4

SUN #89
JohnB is on a distinguished road
I think the only time we would "bug out" with the camper is if an evacuation order was given for the area. Then we have no choice but to go.

At home here I have the camper Honda Generator and the BBQ grill outside. In the basement is a wood burner and I have wood stacked just for an emergency now for 20 years and never used it yet...

We are on an all electric home and I kept that pile of wood in the garage just in case some winter we had issues. While our power does go off once in a great while it has not been for long. Very reliable in our area.

Our camper is ready to roll at a moments notice or campout.... Food is not in but we have camper cloths that live in the camper, come out to be washed and then go back in. A lot of snow would be hold back as towing a camper in the snow is not something I would do on purpose.

I hope we never have have to put this "bug out" plan in place.

John

Google Custom Search For Sunline Owners Club
JohnB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2012, 07:36 PM   #5

SUN #93
Poppy & Nana is an unknown quantity at this point
Bobby &Kathy ~ we are in the same "camper situation" as you.... love where we live but we would never be able to tow in the winter, as our Sunny is stored about 40 minutes away in a nice barn with cement floors.....and the snow would not allow for any trailer towing.....I laugh when I say that because all we have are trucks with snowmobile trailers coming thru all the time (Old Forge, NY).....but our Sunny would not be subjected to that!!

If we had to leave in the summer, we might have a problem as there is only one road in and one road out....(Route 2....which might make for a long trip out! But at least the Sunny is parked next to our garage and is ready to go in a moments notice......all we would need is the meat from the freezer and the milk, eggs & butter from the fridge....our pantry is well stocked at all times and all clothes & personnel needs are put in when she comes out of storage.....so in theory we could do it!

Call us anytime and as long as I can get off work...we could leave in 20 minutes notice!!!!

We have used our TT when family came and we bribed the grandsons to stay in the trailer and the loved it......
We loved our 2007 T-2499
2010 Ford F-350 4x4 Lariat Super Crew Dually Diesel
Poppy & Nana is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2012, 07:57 AM   #6
Moderator Emeritus

SUN #395
HappyCampers is an unknown quantity at this point
I'm not a "doomsday nut" either, but I don't like getting caught with my pants down. Just this October we used the coach as a "shelter" for a night. We had a freak 6" snow storm while the leaves were still on the trees. We were out of power for 2 days while some close by were out for up to 4 days. The coach always has food, blankets, cooking utensils, propane, etc. During the "non winterized" months a full tank of water (50 gallons). I ran our generator (6500 watts) to run the coach on 110V so the furnace wouldn't kill the batteries.
The next day I had a friend of mine come to the house and wire a generator feed breaker into the 200 amp panel box. Now all I have to do is flip two switches, fire the genny, and plug the pigtail in. Full power to the house to run everything, except Range and Dryer. I'm lucky we have natural gas heat and hot water.
2003 F-304SR (Last Sunline "The Big One")
1985 T-1650 (Current Sunline)
2004.5 Dodge Ram 3500 5.9 HO Cummins
HappyCampers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2012, 05:33 PM   #7

SUN #1830
Jim-Bev-2363 is an unknown quantity at this point
We were in Naples Florida when a hurricane was coming. They, "the powers that be", said on the TV that campers should leave the area so we headed North to Tampa. In Tampa the weather people said the hurricane would come to Tampa so we packed again and headed North some more. The interstate was a slow moving parking lot from just outside Tampa to past the Georgia State Line. About three exits into Georgia I saw a campground that said vacancy so we pulled in. I had made my mind up that if the hurricane got us there, then we deserved to be got because I wasn't running one more mile. Eight hours of bumper to bumper, white knuckle driving, being crowded by big rigs, slowed by little old ladies that probably hadn't been further than Winn-Dixie in years had taken a toll on me.

After that lesson I do not run from weather anymore. I keep the camper stocked and enjoy making coffee for the neighbors that weren't so prepared. Since moving to Florida we had four or five hurricanes come right over us in one year and didn't run from any of them. Something nice about being prepared, at home.
Jim-Bev-2363 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2012, 10:27 PM   #8

SUN #973
DianeScraps
Send a message via Yahoo to DianeScraps
We've been in our house 17 years, and have never been without utilites for more then 4 hours (and that was a transformer that blew across the street).

But when the storms were coming this past fall I realized I really had no reason to panic. During camping months the camper is ready to go, food and all. During non camping months linens and some clothing still remains, food can be taken out quickly, if we needed to leave.

I definitely appreciate knowing that I can take a warm shower and such without having to go somewhere else.

1999 T2970 Sunline, Retired 2015

Current Camper is a 2016 Starcraft 28QBS
DianeScraps is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-2012, 05:53 AM   #9

SUN #96
rebellious78
First off, we believe being prepared for any situation is a must for us. People can call us nuts, but at least we will be prepared and ready while the rest of the country is scrambling in shock and panic. If nothing happens, that is wonderful and we have skills and things we have learned to make us better at everyday life.

It would depend on the emergency or event that would lead us to bug out, or bug in. Sure it would be great to have our Sunline, but having a trailer in tow leaves you as a huge moving target for others. Plus the cost of fuel needed to evacuate would be outrageous if and when you could find fuel. In a SHTF scenario you don’t want to be known and seen. Traffic is another huge concern. All major highways and roads will be clogged and congested. Back roads won’t be safe either. Chances are you would have to ditch your camper and your belongings inside anyways. 5th wheels, motor homes, travel trailers are not a good choice. If anything a fully off road compatible truck camper would be your best bet when it comes to having to bug out in a camper. But that still leaves you vulnerable in one way or another.
If for some reason we had to take the Sunny with us, we have practiced and prepared for that also. We could have the Sunny from winterized mode to fully stocked and ready to go in less than 20 minutes. But I myself don’t believe we will ever need to bug out in Sunny. It is still fun to practice though.

Everyone must make the best choice for themselves and their family beforehand. Know the emergency, know your emergency plan, be prepared, take action and be safe.

~Mary Ann

David & Mary Ann
2018 Ford F350 Dually 6.7L Powerstroke
2006 Sunline Solaris T-264-SR
2012 Palomino Bronco B1500LB
rebellious78 is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
emergency bugout survival