Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
Sunline RV Forum
Sunline User Photos

Go Back   Sunline Coach Owner's Club > Sunline Club Community Forums > Sunline Community
Click Here to Login

Join Sunline Club Forums Today

Old 10-10-2020, 02:37 PM   #1

SUN #11102
Gregorym is an unknown quantity at this point
Cover or not cover my sunline.

Hi
I live in the northeast in a snow belt. Last year I went to my local RV dealer and asked for a cover for my sunline Solaris he said why do you want to cover your RV? He didn't recommend covering my RV. He said do you see any of are ones on the lot with covers on them? He said the rv needs to breathe and cover prevents adequate ventilation. What do you recommend?
Thank you
Gregory.

Old 10-11-2020, 10:37 PM   #2

SUN #89
JohnB is on a distinguished road
Gregory,

From all I know about restoring campers, I can only express the need to have a camper undercover in some fashion to prevent leaks from getting in over the winter where it rains or snows a lot. If you cannot get the camper inside a building or under roof of sorts, then a RV cover that breaths is your next best choice. They may covers for certain areas as the material changes pending where in the country you are.

There are ways to help seal you camper better then when it was made new to prevent leaks, but that is a more involved process. If wanted I can explain them. But, I would still recommend covering the camper if you plan on keeping it a good long time. The UV damage alone is a reason to cover the camper.

I will just let the dealers comments you posted, sit. They are talking from selling new campers point of view. Not how to keep your more then 3 year old camper to last another 10 to 25 years or more if you want to.

Hope this helps

John

Google Custom Search For Sunline Owners Club
JohnB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-11-2020, 10:48 PM   #3

SUN #89
Here is a recent post on what Sunline Fan bought to cover his camper

https://www.sunlineclub.com/forums/f...tml#post153990

Here are a few other from over the years. A need if to keep the cover tight and cover sharp edges with pool noodle materials or other methods.

https://www.sunlineclub.com/forums/f...ver-14306.html

https://www.sunlineclub.com/forums/f...ver-10382.html

https://www.sunlineclub.com/forums/f...ers-12248.html

Old 10-15-2020, 11:32 AM   #4

SUN #12249
jims1429 is an unknown quantity at this point
I have a 1988 saturn and I cover it every year but make sure to leave a window or two opened slightly
Old 10-15-2020, 11:41 AM   #5

SUN #969
shepherds2
Send a message via AIM to shepherds2
Definitely buy a cover if you value your RV. We live in PNW. Lots of trees and Rain. Not only does it keep the RV relatively clean, it keeps most of the rain off the roof and sides. It keeps the green/black algie growth to a minimum making cleanup a breeze. It also keeps that dreaded black rain stain that is common on Aluminum sides. Also protects UV damage to skylites and all plastic parts on roof. The new covers have numerus air vents and we leave a couple of windows cracked open a little for inside air circulation. Adco makes a decent cover that we use and costs about $300 . Worth every penny. The cover lasts for about 3-4 years before tearing and getting grungy.
Old 10-15-2020, 12:59 PM   #6

SUN #12313
AFTERTAXES is an unknown quantity at this point
buy metal carport.....call it done, covers trap moisture.
its worth the little XXX money.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 000_0007 (4).jpg (101.8 KB, 4 views)
Old 10-15-2020, 06:49 PM   #7

SUN #4147
RRS2670 is an unknown quantity at this point
I've owned my 1997 Sunline for 18 years. I've always covered it in the winter until a few years ago. Obviously UV is present all year round, but my thought was that the worst thing for the roof seems is freeze/thaw cycles where water can get into places and open things up eventually, causing leaks. You need to buy a cover that is water resistant on the top only, that raps over the roof wall transition, the sides should be breathable.

The reason I stopped using covers is they are expensive for a good one. You have to protect them from sharp edges and take extra care tying them down, otherwise the wind will either rip them to shreds, or abrade the paint in places.
I think I bought 3 covers, costing several hundred dollars each, and only lasted about 3 years if your lucky. Plus it's a pain to put on without help, especially if there's any wind. I now store my trailer inside for ~$325 for 6 months over the winter.

I do have covers for the tires and the AC shroud that I'll put on in the summer when I'm not traveling and it sits in my driveway, to protect from the sun UV.

1997 Sunline Solaris 2670
2019 Ram 1500 Bighorn 5.7L 4x4
RRS2670 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 10-16-2020, 06:57 AM   #8

SUN #12313
thats a smart idea, but not covers.......
Old 10-16-2020, 03:48 PM   #9

SUN #2097
mainah is an unknown quantity at this point
They do make breathable covers (tyvek) I used to cover my old Toyota motorhome with one I put home made short saw horses on the roof (snow shed) they work but nothing beats a garage!
Old 10-16-2020, 06:03 PM   #10

SUN #12313
motorhome.....

Quote:
Originally Posted by mainah View Post
They do make breathable covers (tyvek) I used to cover my old Toyota motorhome with one I put home made short saw horses on the roof (snow shed) they work but nothing beats a garage!
A toyota ?...wow, I would like to talk with you, going to look at a 1991
Winn. 21' v-6 sunday....if u have time my # 386 263 2257 thx
Old 10-16-2020, 06:07 PM   #11

SUN #10030
brijoskids is an unknown quantity at this point
Cover It Dude - Call BS

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gregorym View Post
Hi
I live in the northeast in a snow belt. Last year I went to my local RV dealer and asked for a cover for my sunline Solaris he said why do you want to cover your RV? He didn't recommend covering my RV. He said do you see any of are ones on the lot with covers on them? He said the rv needs to breathe and cover prevents adequate ventilation. What do you recommend?
Thank you
Gregory.
Cover It Dude - Call BS on the Dealer. As stated if you want to maintain it for as long as you want.... cover it , they do breathe and have access panels for any mid winter checks that you want to do.
Old 10-17-2020, 07:07 AM   #12

SUN #2097
mainah is an unknown quantity at this point
Quote:
Originally Posted by brijoskids View Post
Cover It Dude - Call BS on the Dealer. As stated if you want to maintain it for as long as you want.... cover it , they do breathe and have access panels for any mid winter checks that you want to do.
They like to sell new campers!
Old 10-17-2020, 08:57 AM   #13

SUN #250
HurleyMan
I recommend covering the roof only

I highly recommend a cover over the roof. I bought my Sunny new in 2006 and always cover the roof with a poly tarp. I order it in white for about $60 so it is not even noticed. We all know you get 2-3 years out of those tarps so it's a reasonable cost effective solution. My sunny is a rare 195SR and only 23' including the tongue. A 10x20 works great as it only comes over the sides a little. The idea is not to have it come way down the sides. I think it is best to leave the sides uncovered. The condition of my roof after 14 years is fantastic and I've never had a leak.
Old 10-18-2020, 08:21 AM   #14

SUN #12190
Tripilot is an unknown quantity at this point
I just shrink wrapped my new-to-me camper. I built up a gable section due to the large amount of snow received here in upstate NY. I wanted to be sure the snow would slide off, which would minimize weight on the roof and accessories. I only did the top section. I put a couple of vents in it and there are areas of the hem that are open and a breeze can flow through. I certainly wouldn't wrap the entire unit, as I believe that would be problematic where moisture is concerned. Lawn furniture is packed in and around the tongue.
Old 10-18-2020, 08:32 AM   #15

SUN #89
Hi Tripilot,

Welcome!

The pic you are trying to post, will not view on the forum due to the format.

"IMG]https://photos.google.com/search/_tra_/photo/AF1QipO_1yVLijPYHIn6LcuXPYQ0PFSmhTkgQJrQ8QU[/IMG]"

To link in a pic from an online photo server, the pic URL needs to end in .jpg

Your photo url will not view if put in a browser either, I tried and it came back with an error. I am not sure what you copied to create the link.

See here for more help on how to post pics on the forum.

There are 3 ways to add pics.

1. Upload pics to a specific post attaching them at the end of the post.

2. Linking them in from a public viewable web photo hosting service you have.

See here for 1 and 2 https://www.sunlineclub.com/forums/f...html#post86041

3. You can upload pics to the forum in your own personal photo album. Then link them to anywhere in the text of a post. See here on how to create an album. https://www.sunlineclub.com/forums/f...html#post87945

If you still get stuck, let us know. Pic's go a long way in helping show things you are working on, and we really like seeing Sunline pics!

Hope this helps

John