Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
Sunline RV Forum
Sunline User Photos

Go Back   Sunline Coach Owner's Club > Sunline Club Community Forums > Sunline Community
Click Here to Login

Join Sunline Club Forums Today

Old 10-22-2020, 06:14 PM   #1

SUN #7506
ep1966 is an unknown quantity at this point
bugs

I have a T1950 and am trying to find ways to keep small bugs, like black flies out of our trailer. My refrigerator vent is on the roof and I am considering putting fiberglass screen over the top of the diamond shaped mesh that has a much larger opening. However, I am concerned that the finer meshed screen will adversely affect the heat transfer to the outside.

Does anyone have experience doing this?

Old 10-24-2020, 08:47 AM   #2

SUN #2366
j52wf is an unknown quantity at this point
That vent shouldn't allow anything access to the inside if the fridge is properly sealed. I would check all your window screens and hatch vent screens.

2015 RAM 1500 Express HEMI 4x4
2007 Sunline T-257sr
2004 Sunline T-2475
2000 Sunline M-2470
1989 Sunline T-170
j52wf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-24-2020, 10:04 PM   #3

SUN #89
JohnB is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by ep1966 View Post
I have a T1950 and am trying to find ways to keep small bugs, like black flies out of our trailer. My refrigerator vent is on the roof and I am considering putting fiberglass screen over the top of the diamond shaped mesh that has a much larger opening. However, I am concerned that the finer meshed screen will adversely affect the heat transfer to the outside.

Does anyone have experience doing this?
The fridge cabinet is fairly well sealed to the inside of the camper. Bugs normally do not get past the fridge and come in through cabinet.

I would not recommend adding finer mesh screen to the top of the fridge cover. That may restrict the natural heat convection coming up and out of the fridge coils. Same goes for down at the side vent. Fine mesh can be a problem, but they do sell larger screens to fit the side vent to keep bees and larger insects out.

There are other places very small black flies etc. and get in such as;

- The 14 x 14 crack up roof vents. If you still have the original Sunline roof vents, there are small openings where the crank handle goes and between the screen and the plastic ceiling surround.

- The actual window screens. The way the screens set into the window, sometimes the screen gets shifted allowing an air gap to let insects in.

- The entry door screen door. Often the screen door does not seal tight to the door frame. The foam seal goes bad and insects can sneak around the door.

Those are the most normal ways for them to get in. What year T1950 do you have? The T1950 is a popular floor plan spanning many years and some parts of the camper did change from year to year

Hope this helps

John

Google Custom Search For Sunline Owners Club
JohnB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-29-2020, 06:59 PM   #4

SUN #250
HurleyMan
Look around a little more

I agree with JohnB. I would do a little closer investigative work. I will add: Check anywhere a breach was made inside the trailer including around pipes. My 2007 195SR had carpenter ants for the first time this summer. There is a furnace air return vent below the fridge. I saw a few go in and out of that vent. I removed the vent cover and could not see where they were going but I knew it was a high traffic area for them. I stuck my head in with a flashlight and discovered the water tank fill tube goes through the floor to the tank below. It was just a little gap where the spray sealant from the factory did not fill. Not much bigger than a pencil tip, but enough for them to get it. This is what you need to dig around for. Under the bed, pull the drawers out and look behind them. You get the idea.

As far as my ant issue. It's gone. I sprinkled diatomaceous earth all over the inside of that vent cavity and left it there at the and of my camping season this year. I also placed in other areas I had seen them travel I've checked it multiple times sense and have seen no trace of them. I will leave it there just in case more get in and vacuum it up in the spring.