Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
Sunline RV Forum
Sunline User Photos

Go Back   Sunline Coach Owner's Club > Sunline Club Community Forums > Sunline Community
Click Here to Login

Join Sunline Club Forums Today

Old 07-12-2007, 10:30 PM   #1

SUN #207
Shelly
boondocking and fresh/gray water i/o

I've just finished reading the great thread on boondocking and propane usage. Since my 2363 doesn't have very big gray and fresh water tanks I've been pondering my options for refilling and emptying without having to rehitch/unhitch and relevel the trailer. I've heard of a couple gray water options:

1) a tank on wheels that one fills with gray water and takes to the dump station

2) a hose adapter that allows midnight gray watering of bushes (sounds bad but the tent campers throw dish water on the bushes too). Ranger Rick and Smoky Bear probably frown on this option too.

Any better options?

What about refilling the fresh water? Any creative ideas there?

What's the best way to recharge the batteries assuming one does not own a generator, without moving the trailer?

Shelly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-13-2007, 02:16 AM   #2

SUN #115
emam
One of the Tote's is one easy option to moving the Gry/Blk without having to hook up just to dump. It's probably one of the most common when staying long term in a campground that doesnt have full hook-ups.

We have used the hose connection to empty gry water where its avaliable. You'd obviously not want to do it in a crowded campground or one that has signs up saying you cant do it. With the drought some of the states are having right now, some areas are asking you to dump your gry water on the ground.

We just stayed a few weeks in Kentucky, and they hadnt seen rain in months. The campground host told me to dump it on the ground when I asked where the dumpstation was. It's best to use good judgement before you just go ahead and do it. Some people think this is like dumping your blk tank and will go nuts, but I agree with you....I came from a tent camping background and we washed our dishes, took showers and did just about everything except squat in the campground.

With out a generator or solar, you'd be hard pressed to get you batteries charged. There are a few threads on here about hooking stuff up to your alternator, but you'd probably save money and time to just buy a cheap generator and run it for an hour in the morning and an hour in the evening. Or you could get a few solar panels and not need to worry about making any noise. That's what we did.

Good luck, and you should get many different answers that'll get cha' started.

Pat

Pat & Cindy Bonish
www.everymilesamemory.com
www.lowkeyhideaway.com
emam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-13-2007, 04:40 AM   #3

SUN #264
Steve Collins is an unknown quantity at this point
Re: boondocking and fresh/gray water i/o

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shelly
I've just finished reading the great thread on boondocking and propane usage. Since my 2363 doesn't have very big gray and fresh water tanks I've been pondering my options for refilling and emptying without having to rehitch/unhitch and relevel the trailer. I've heard of a couple gray water options:

1) a tank on wheels that one fills with gray water and takes to the dump station

2) a hose adapter that allows midnight gray watering of bushes (sounds bad but the tent campers throw dish water on the bushes too). Ranger Rick and Smoky Bear probably frown on this option too.

Any better options?

What about refilling the fresh water? Any creative ideas there?

What's the best way to recharge the batteries assuming one does not own a generator, without moving the trailer?
A couple of thoughts....

For gray water, I have three 5 gallon plastic jugs that I picked up from the local grocery store. They get their fryer oil in them, and just throw them out when done. They weigh next to nothing, and let me pull off 15 gallons of gray water at one time.

The NYS Parks campgrounds here severely frown on dumping grey water on the ground, but as you say, tenters have been tossing dish water in the bushes for eons and still do. Given the variety of stuff that goes down the drain in the TT, I opt to just put the jugs in the back of the pickup and go to the dump station. Saves a confrontation with the park ranger.

For charging the batteries, you could always hook up your jumper cables from the tow vehicle battery to the trailer battery and idle the TV for an hour or so. Probably a good idea to pop the hood on the TV to help keep it cool.

We've had several discussions here back a few weeks about energy conservation, and all of them apply when boondocking. Be creative about saving 12vdc energy. Propane useage is much less of a concern to us, but there maybe situations where you've got to be conservative there, too.

Fresh water is going to depend on what's available in the campground. Here in NY, the state park campgrounds have water spigots every few campsites. Many of them have no garden hose threads on them to discourage folks from hooking up directly.

First, you can get yourself one of those nice 6 gallon fresh water jugs and haul the water from the spigot to the TT. Gets kind of old after the second trip, but it will do the job.

Second, you get yourself a water thief and temporarily hook up to the spigot, run your hose (presuming you have enough footage to reach) and fill 'er up. A water thief is some kind of adapter that lets you clamp on to the unthreaded spigot. It has a garden hose male on the other end. I have several home made ones which are made out of different size hose to fit on different size water outlets. You can also find commercial versions in your RV store's parts department. They all fasten to the spigot with a worm clamp and can handle around 50 pounds of pressure.

If your hose won't reach, partner up with a neighbor and combine your hoses and fill both your tanks. Offer to fill other's tanks as well when you hookup like that. I currently carry 175' of hose when going to a known boondocking CG.

I always put a "Y" at the spigot end, just in case someone else needs water while I'm refilling. That way, no one has to wait for water. I try to stay by the spigot while filling to make sure that person knows the "Y" is there and they are free to use it.

'12 F250 4x4 Super Duty PowerStroke 6.7 diesel
2011 to present: '11 Cougar 326MKS
1999 to 2011: '99 Sunline T-2453
SUN264 * Amateur Radio kd2iat monitoring 146.52
Steve Collins is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-13-2007, 12:02 PM   #4

SUN #44
SanDimasJoe
Boondocking

Shelly,
When filling up my fresh water tank, I use a collapsable 5 gallon water container. I rigged up a funnel and clear hose to pour the water out of the container into the fresh water tank. My fresh water tank is 35 gallons so it is very labor intensive to do this. My wife holds the funnel and hose while I muscle the 5 gallon container to pour. I don't know about other trailers but I can recharge my auxilliary battery by plugging the TT to TV electrical connector to the truck. It takes about 1 hour to completely recharge my battery, but I don't let my battery discharge too low.
I also use a 10 gallon gray water tank that I used for my PUP. When the gray water indicates full, I drain approx. 10 gallons of the stuff into aux. gray water tank. We lift it up to the tailgate of the truck and take it to the dump station if there is one. If there isn't I quess the midnite plant watering would be appropriate if allowable. Some states like Oregon will fine you if you don't have proper gray water disposal system.

Joe
SanDimasJoe is offline   Reply With Quote