Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
Sunline RV Forum
Sunline User Photos

Go Back   Sunline Coach Owner's Club > Sunline Club Community Forums > Sunline Community
Click Here to Login

Join Sunline Club Forums Today

Old 11-07-2006, 07:54 PM   #1

SUN #89
JohnB is on a distinguished road
Black spec's on rubber roof - any one got em?

Fellow Sunliners

I happen to live in the easy mold growing area of Ohio. The house roofs have it, porch railings, most anything. East side of the house worse than the west.

Well my camper roof "I think" has it. When I bought the camper I washed the roof often using Tide like recommend in the Sunline manual. This did a good job on the dirt.

But then as time went by, I started to get little black spots. The Tide did not touch them. So I tried Camco rubber roof cleaner/conditioner and used a mild soft brush. The spots left. Needed sunglasses it was so white up there….

This year I missed 1 routine cleaning by about 2 to 3 weeks and now the spots do not go away. I can make them smaller, but they are still there and grow bigger over time until the next cleaning.

I'm thinking they are mold stains embedded in the rubber.

Anyone found a way to get ride of them or know for sure what they are?

Thanks

John

Google Custom Search For Sunline Owners Club
JohnB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-08-2006, 05:45 AM   #2

SUN #21
donreitz
Interesting. I routinely wash my roof twice a year. While I get the roof clean, there are a variety of stains that have accumulated over the years (mostly from tree leaves and pine needles) that remain after washing. I should think this is normal weathering and it doesn't hurt anything. In contrast, I would think that any attempt to remove the stains by vigorous scrubbing or using strong detergents or chemicals would do more harm than good. As long as you keep the roof clean and in good repair, your roof will probably last the life of the trailer. Since you can't see the roof, there's no cosmetic reason to worry about the stains.

What to others think about this?
Don

donreitz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-09-2006, 04:30 PM   #3

SUN #91
jakeyny
Same problem here, damp, gloomy days are common, great conditions for mold. I cleaned the roof today and noticed the black spots. They were lighter when I finished but did not go away completly. The spots are on the window trim too. Nothing I've tried has removed the spots.
Old 11-09-2006, 06:07 PM   #4
Moderator Emeritus

SUN #17
kanyonkitty is an unknown quantity at this point
I can't offer any suggestions for the spots on the rubber roof as I don't have that problem with my aluminum roof. I also have not noticed any spots on my window trim. "IF" I get spots on my window trim, I'll probably try a mild bleach solution or Awesome.

Heading out on the 22nd to Pigeon Forge/Gatlinburg, TN for turkey day.

Kitty
Sunny #18 2003 F-344SR #8157
Sunny #19 1997 T-2653 #5485
1999 Ford F350XLT DRW Crew Cab, Long bed 7.3 PSD
2002 VW Jetta TDI.. AKA: Kitty's Kruiser
kanyonkitty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-11-2006, 10:06 PM   #5

SUN #86
Kayci
Hi Everyone,
This is my first post...just found the group a few weeks ago. We purchased a 2004 1950 just a few weeks ago. (From a private party, not from a dealer.) The inside is just like a brand new trailer...as if nothing had ever been used...but the roof has the same black spots all over as have been described. (We didn't know it was supposed to be all white.) Also all of our trim around doors, windows, storage doors is totally mottled with spots (brown, not black). We are so new to the RV scene (had pop-ups for 20 years) that we thought the trim was actually made with a mottled look since it matches the outside color scheme of the trailer...how dumb is THAT??!! We searched high and low to find a Sunline because our research indicated their great rep...but now we are worried about these spots. Sent photos to LaRue and she and Tom said they think they are due to mold and dirt...didn't even mention the trim spots to them. Nothing takes these spots out!! Now we are afraid restrictive campgrounds will think our wonderful little trailer is an old mess!
Equal-i-zer, Prodigy
Kayci is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-12-2006, 06:26 AM   #6

SUN #21
donreitz
Welcome to the forum Kayci. Hope you find it helpful.

I'm reluctant to chime in a second time, but I think it's possible to make too much of this. Anything--including trailers--left exposed to the elements is going to weather. The fact that the rubber roof becomes mottled over time isn't a cause for concern as long as you make a reasonable effort to keep it clean and in good repair. As far as exterior trim goes, it will show the effects of age too, but you can keep it to a minimum by frequent washing, waxing, and detail work. Unfortunately, if you (or a previous owner) ignored routine maintenance, you'll have to live with the stains and pits. This isn't necessarily a bad thing: a well-traveled trailer has character; it's used and not coddled. Some of my favorite camping memories involve making friends with hard-core campers in well-used travel trailers.
Don
donreitz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-12-2006, 12:35 PM   #7

SUN #15
GoodoleBob
Welcome to you Kayci.

I'd say Don's comments are most practical. Keep up with your maintenance, but don't let it take the place of enjoying your Sunline. The very nicest family we ever met was out on the coast of Maine one summer. They had the oldest most decrepid Winnebago motorhome I ever saw. The admitted they only camped locally because of fear of breakdowns. This RV was never the less their fun machine and they were happy friendly folks without any image hangups at all. We've stayed in touch with them all these years, and have camped with them several times..still with that old Winne.

If I get these mold spots and I probably will, I'll scrub them a little extra as I wash the rest of the trailer, but that's as far as it goes. She will have character!

Bob

GoodoleBob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-12-2006, 12:56 PM   #8

SUN #89
Thanks to all responding.

I too do not think the "spots" will harm, as long as they are kept in check. If not, then the mold I sure will in time do what it does to a nylon tent, an awing or anything else it is stuck on. Eat it up.

Like I said when I wash I can make them smaller. What is left I think is stain. But the mold spots grow back in the same spot area and not next to it? Why? What is so special about that one spot? It is probably the 8th wonder of camping…

I also agree you really do not want to do heavy abrasive scrubbing on that rubber. You can and will break thought it. I had a roof vent issue and had to replace a rusting one under warranty. So I know how sensitive the rubber is when scrubbing it. Don’t heavy scrub.

If someone else has found a solution, please post.

Thanks

John

Old 11-12-2006, 01:00 PM   #9

SUN #89
Kayci

I may be able to help on the window trim. The vinyl part. The black steak remover helps. If that will not take it out, try a small dab of Clorox soft scrub and work a small area. After some elbow grease the yellow and black goes. I only use this on the actual vinyl part that is it.

Hope this helps.

Old 11-12-2006, 03:04 PM   #10

SUN #86
Kayci
I just want to say what a thrill it is to have this group! Thanks so much to those of you who began it and moderate...and those who chime in to help and support others . I usually go straight to the TrailerLife Forums when I go online, but now I find myself coming straight here first!
We will try not to think about the dasterdly spots! I guess we're mainly hoping someone will assure us that they're nothing to worry about. We were so excited to find our Sunline and--even though we haven't even gotten to camp in it yet (snowed the day we towed it up from where we bought it!)--we just love it. So far we've driven up to the storage lot twice to visit it! (We have a picnic lunch inside!) It was our 25th anniversary present to each other...so next Tuesday (actual anniversary) we're going up to the storage lot with a picnic lunch and a bottle of champagne. OK, we've gone over the edge!

Equal-i-zer, Prodigy
Kayci is offline   Reply With Quote