Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
Sunline RV Forum
Sunline User Photos

Go Back   Sunline Coach Owner's Club > Sunline Club Community Forums > Sunline Community
Click Here to Login

Join Sunline Club Forums Today

Old 06-13-2008, 03:08 PM   #1

SUN #246
Janalee
Be careful with Reliable...

Hi All,
Just had a very bad thing happen to me today...washing our very dirty Sunny, I gave the wrong bottle to hubby thinking it was Awesome spray..NOT!!! it was the old standby Reliable--Reliable HAS to be rinsed off immediately and it wasn't..you guessed it !.. it ate our paint off the Krystal Kote leaving drippy "grey" streaks. Not sure what I can do to make it look better but I am bummed out over this. Now I think I know what happened to make the ghostly grey streaks where you usually get black streaks--someone before me probably used Reliable on them and thats why I have "sparkly" metal showing thru in spots. Anyway--be warned and be careful!! I will let you know if I find a remedy...Janalee

'96 2553 & '95 1950 Sunlines
'95 and '98 Solaris 2653's
2002 Solaris T-2363
Janalee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-14-2008, 08:43 AM   #2

SUN #549
frank
If you're down to the bare metal, the best solution is going to be paint.

Finding an exact match will prove to be difficult. However, here is a suggestion. Pull out the yellow pages and look for Automobile Body Shop supply houses near you. Stop in and talk to the counter guys and explain your situation. Most of the better shops have a "camera" which they can take out to a vehicle (or in your case, the trailer) in the parking lot and capture the color of the paint. Then they can mix an exact match. To apply, most of these places can mix the paint and put it into a common spray can for you as well, so you don't need to worry about a paint gun, compressor, reducers, etc.

To make a very invisible repair, you'd need to clean and prep the surface, then apply the paint to the affected area overlapping the "good" area by a little bit. Once it dries, you would wetsand (using a very very fine grit sandpaper and water) to level the area out and then remove the scratches with a polishing compound.

Hope this helps.

- Frank

Old 06-14-2008, 04:22 PM   #3

SUN #89
JohnB is on a distinguished road
Frank

Thanks for the info. I did not realize they can do that now with color matching.

Jan, thanks for the heads up. We only have Awesome. Now I know not to try the Reliabe. My goodness it ate thru the Krystal Kote????

John

Google Custom Search For Sunline Owners Club
JohnB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-14-2008, 07:28 PM   #4

SUN #246
Janalee
Reliable..

Yes..it ate thru the Krystal Kote and left drippy streaks of shiny aluminum...my fault not DH..I sprayed some for him as he was washing but didn't pay attention to what I sprayed..and he didn't get right to that area and it ran down the side about 12 inches in 4 or 5 places and did it's damage...;-((
'96 2553 & '95 1950 Sunlines
'95 and '98 Solaris 2653's
2002 Solaris T-2363
Janalee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-14-2008, 10:30 PM   #5

SUN #385
Hematite
OMG! I thought that Reliable was recommended by Sunline for cleaning the painted surfaces? I'm sorry that you had this problem and I hope that you will be able to correct it!

2007 Ford F150 FX4 Supercab 4x4, 5.4 FFV engine, 3.73LS.
Hematite is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-25-2008, 04:42 PM   #6

SUN #660
rmstack
I am surprised and sorry that your paint finish was ruined. I have used Reliable (Sunline factory recommended it to me.) full strength as a spray and only wiped it off and for general washing of the RV mixed with water. I have had no problems with the paint. But I will have to be more careful now.

I did go to the garage and located my gallon jug of Reliable and the directions specifically say:
FOR RV CLEANING
*For black streaks-spray on wipe off. No rinsing necessary
*For general wash-use 8 oz. per gallon of water. Brush on-rinse off

In large letters on the front, I see the words: SPRAY ON-WIPE CLEAN

My suggestion would be to contact Reliable Products (315) 363-9202 and voice your concerns and see what they have to say.

Could it be that the previous owner did something to the paint on the unit and Reliable removed the coverup and you noticed it?

Good luck with your fixes. Please let us know what Reliable Products tells you about their product.