Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
Sunline RV Forum
Sunline User Photos

Go Back   Sunline Coach Owner's Club > Sunline Club Community Forums > Sunline Community
Click Here to Login

Join Sunline Club Forums Today

Old 04-06-2009, 05:19 PM   #1

SUN #246
Janalee
Bad Trip...(long story)

Well, after a five month visit to Florida blighted with some health problems (one serious!) we were wheeling our way back to Pa. in a driving rainstorm and pulled into a N.C. rest area on I-95 to wait it out--when I got out of the van, smoke was pouring from our right rear wheel on Sunny! Wheel bearing gone and lucky we had stopped,because it was ready to flame--only that rainstorm stopped it, I am sure! Well, the tow truck arrived and he insisted it would go on the Landall--of course, being a low profile Sunline, I knew it wouldn't! and just when he was scraping the bottom and rear of the trailer on the macadam and hadn't even gotten the wheels on the flatbed, I stopped him and asked him if he couldn't do something else... He said "SURE!"...dropped the trailer back down and left us there! Hmmmm...This is now 4:45 pm on Friday..Well, Black's Tire Service to our rescue!!They said they would send someone right out and he would stay with us until something could be resolved!! They sent a guy out who jacked it up to remove the tire---and then the whole wheel just fell off!!! He calmed my fears and told me to drive slowly and he would follow with his hazards on to their facility..this was at 5:45 at night on Friday..a three wheeled vehicle going down I-95...they were of course,closing for the day by then,but had waited to make sure we were tucked in beside their building complete with electric and water and internet! Sat. bright and early they took Sunny in and parts were ordered and repairs were done--$645.00 with the service call--(everything was shot,hub,spindle,etc.)but high wind advisories were on and we couldn't go anywhere---so they tucked us in again for the night! Great people!!! If you are ever in need of repairs, Black's Tire and repair Svc. in Fayetteville are just super! However,not the end of this story at all---Sat. evening found us sitting on I-81 in Winchester Va. with a blowout that took part of the fender off and ripped our underbelly material...no tire stores open!!! So, Camping World, (with AC hookups) was our home until Monday AM--FINALLY HOME NOW>>AND LOOKING FOR A FENDER,a black plastic dust cap and lug covers!!!!! Happy Travels! Watch those bearings! Janalee P.S. A shout out to DJ and Scooter who we met at a gas staion in N.C...!!!!

'96 2553 & '95 1950 Sunlines
'95 and '98 Solaris 2653's
2002 Solaris T-2363
Janalee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-2009, 05:28 PM   #2

SUN #19
Sunline1
Janalee

Sorry to hear of your problems ?

Glad to hear your alright ? Sounds like you were involved in a pretty dangerous situation.

I'm curious as to which tire blewout ? Was it by chance the "single" tire you drove on to the first repair shop ? In other words the tire left on the the side your wheel bearing problems were ?

Good luck

2002 Sunline model T-2975 (large Bath)
Sunline1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-2009, 05:48 PM   #3

SUN #28
sunnyseagull
JANALEE

sorry to here of all that ! I can relate very well to your story. we were on our way to Frontier town in MD I had just crossed the C&D canal bridge when I heard very loud bang and then alot of clanging I had broke the crank shaft in my in my 6.5 turbo diesel , I managed to get over to the side of rt 1 . there I sat loaded up for a week at the beach two kids, two dogs on the side of the highway , this was just after I paid 2500.00 dollar to have the transmission fixed on the suburban. So we call triple AAA they send a tow truck he tow away my sub and there me and my family sit on the side of rt 1 with sunny 264sr waiting for my brother to come pick us up and the camper to. so I spent my weeks vaction looking for a new tow vechical . than after all that about 3 weeks later we get our credit card bill in the mail the tow truck co. stole our credit card number and ran up a huge bill. that was the trip from #$%$ . but know I look back and I am thankful no got hurt and everything worked out so hang in there it will get better I know right know it still hurts but in time hopefully youll look back and smile and add it to one of adventures of life.. Dan
Old 04-06-2009, 06:20 PM   #4

SUN #246
Janalee
Sunline1----

No,John, it was on the wheel that the bearing burned out...I have a feeling it may have picked up a screw or such in the garage situation...
'96 2553 & '95 1950 Sunlines
'95 and '98 Solaris 2653's
2002 Solaris T-2363
Janalee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-2009, 08:46 PM   #5

SUN #139
Al in PA
Here's a link that Frank (nasa42a) posted a while ago. They still have the fenders listed toward the bottom of the page. Hopefully, they have what you need:

http://www.martincampersales.com/used_units.htm
2007 T-2553
2003 Silverado 1500
Al in PA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-2009, 09:02 PM   #6

SUN #115
emam
Those are a couple of stories that just stink to hear!!

Sorry for your bad luck and hopefully you both took care of those bad situations and wont have any others for years to come

Pat & Cindy Bonish
www.everymilesamemory.com
www.lowkeyhideaway.com
emam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2009, 07:41 PM   #7

SUN #30
dg&scooter
Janalee,

Was good to meet a fellow Sunline Owner. Glad you finally made it home.