Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
Sunline RV Forum
Sunline User Photos

Go Back   Sunline Coach Owner's Club > Sunline Club Community Forums > Sunline Community
Click Here to Login

Join Sunline Club Forums Today

Old 08-14-2013, 02:39 PM   #1

SUN #597
henryj
Another Wet Floor

When I lifted the sofa to de-winterize the 2499 this spring, I was dismayed to see tell tale water stains in the left rear corner. The OSB was still solid except a finger's width next to the wall. The right rear corner was still ok with no staining and no wet carpet. However, the floor framing underneath was soft.

My theory is that our trailer is just old enough to have the putty tape under the rear corner molding crack. Melting snow plus spring rain plus tiny gutters meant water cascading over the side. Since we were having almost daily rain, I caulked all the putty taped molding in the area even though I knew the corner would still be wet underneath--nothing to lose. I was glad to see it didn't get worse and it eventually dried out too although the stain of course remained.

Our May-Oct. plans and commitments involved 12 weeks of travel. We couldn't afford any downtime. Fiberglass trailers are more difficult to fix than Al siding which allows the whole area to be opened for easy access. My skill set, constant rain, no barn and little time meant looking at alternatives.

Plan A--Damage is minimal, keep it caulked and forget it, use it as is for a couple more years.

Plan B--A local RV body shop--not a dealer--estimated $1500-$2000 if the floor didn't need to be replaced. So when was the last time there wasn't hidden water damage... and when the rear end is opened up and the bill keeps going up, do I tell them to forget it and close it up again?

Plan C--Declare it wet and sell. There was no time to sell privately and no way I would buy new and keep the old one around. So we decided to trade and began visiting dealers and the web.

Stay tuned for the outcome.

Henry

henryj is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-14-2013, 06:47 PM   #2

SUN #768
Gene is an unknown quantity at this point
Could the area be treated with something like Git Rot which is a penetrating epoxy sealer.

Here is a description from West Marine
BOATLIFE Git Rot Penetrating Epoxy at West Marine

Easy-to-use epoxy rescues dry-rotted wood from oblivion
Soaks into wood fibers and restores strength to rotten sections. By drilling small holes into fiberglass laminations, underlying wood can be saturated and much of its original strength can be restored. Cures overnight. Can be sanded, painted, drilled, tapped and is compatible with most sealants and paints. Two parts in each package: resin and hardener

There ia another product JohnB used, I think it was Rot Doctor.

Gene & DW Ginny
2002 Sunline T-2363
2008 Toyota 4-runner 4wd 4.7L V-8
Reese Dual Cam straightline - P3 Brake controller
Gene is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-14-2013, 07:14 PM   #3

SUN #768
Gene is an unknown quantity at this point
I just read your other post. You can ignore my post above.

Gene & DW Ginny
2002 Sunline T-2363
2008 Toyota 4-runner 4wd 4.7L V-8
Reese Dual Cam straightline - P3 Brake controller
Gene is offline   Reply With Quote