Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
Sunline RV Forum
Sunline User Photos

Go Back   Sunline Coach Owner's Club > Sunline Club Community Forums > Sunline Community
Click Here to Login

Join Sunline Club Forums Today

Old 01-30-2015, 11:49 AM   #1

SUN #7036
debbie is an unknown quantity at this point
About to buy an 80's Sunline T1750

Hello everyone, I've been looking for a small camper and have located 2 different that I believe to be T1750's. One with title '84. The other very similar, no title or idea of year. The later has no small windows on either side of the front upper bunk area. Need help pinning down the year as I'm comparing apples to apples before purchase.

Both of these campers are priced at $2400 owners indicate "good condition" Both have some areas of water marks on the ceiling but not active, all equipment intact & functional. Exteriors not too bad, some rubber edging? stuff missing. Tires/hitch good etc.

I found this site and feel sure i want a Sunline now with all the support provided other owners. Please advise if this pricing is fair, both sellers have indicated there is room to negotiate. THANK YOU

Old 01-30-2015, 02:58 PM   #2

SUN #849
J&A Lima Oh
Water marks on the ceiling make me wonder, I bought a 83 2103, it did not show watermarks but on our first camping trip it was raining and we were with people with knowledge of SunLines and we stood on top of a picnic table and looked at the lake on the roof, after we got home, No the roof didn't leak, I tried to crawl up on the roof and had I done so would have fallen right through as the roof had been damaged and patched and the roof support structure was compromised, we ended up putting on a new rood from the inside ceiling up, we gave it some slope for more support and better water repellent.
An 84 t1750 for $2400 to me seems a little high, but you would be better contacting SunLine Fan here on this website as he is about as knowledgeable about SunLines as you will find.

Old 01-30-2015, 03:18 PM   #3

SUN #7036
Thanks for your response, sounds like you had an expensive fix. I looked at the roof on one of them and there are a couple low spots where the water marks are. It has been sheltered for several years. I have been looking for a while and in my price range it seems like they all have water marks & evidence of repaired leaks. I too thought $2400 was quite high, I'm thinking like $1400 but I'm a newb, just want to camp with my daughter. Some work, yes, but nothing to keep me in the drive for months on end. Can you tell me how to find/contact SunLine Fan?
Old 01-30-2015, 03:34 PM   #4

SUN #849
J&A Lima Oh
Debbie, he will probably find you, but try this, top of page look for community, click the arrow beside of it, then click member list, in the kind of upper right hand corner, is a search members with a arrow, click and put sunline fan in the box and hit enter, click on his name, sunline fan and another box will open where you and send him a message, tell him, Jack & Angela hope to see him at the Midwest Meet & Greet this year.
Old 01-30-2015, 05:13 PM   #5

SUN #2097
mainah is an unknown quantity at this point
I paid $2500 for a 1990 T1700 4 years ago and it was in good shape not perfect but every thing worked.
Old 01-31-2015, 01:42 AM   #6
Moderator Emeritus

SUN #897
EMD_Driver is an unknown quantity at this point
Send a message via MSN to EMD_Driver Send a message via Yahoo to EMD_Driver
Hi Debbie,

An early 80's ~17' Sunline might be worth around $1,000 - $1,500 to me. That would only be, if it was in good condition all-around. I bought this little gem of a 1978 a few years ago and paid $400 for it.

It needed work, but was mostly solid. I wish I had some pictures of it now. You wouldn't recognize it!

2007 Peterson Excel Limited 30RKE
2014 Ford F350XLT SRW Crew Cab, Long bed 6.7PSD

EMD_Driver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2015, 04:30 AM   #7

SUN #5897
Tego is an unknown quantity at this point
I have the same camper, same year and I didn't pay even close to that. It all depends on condition. Mine is very solid, but the inside is original and looks like the inside of a turd.
Old 02-02-2015, 06:27 PM   #8

SUN #2431
bdichristina is an unknown quantity at this point
Our first Sunline was a 1984 T-1750. We paid much less for it, but nothing worked and it's next move was to be to a scrap yard had we not stepped in.

You will find the roof on these is aluminum and much easier to seal than the rubber-on-cardboard roof like we had in our '97 T-2553 before replacing it. You are more likely to develop leaks around the vents and antennas before the seams and edges. It will depend on how well the prior owner kept up on the roof maintenance. For instance: did they heat, remove and replace the dried sealer our just pour more and more over what was there. The only way to tell is to get up there and look. You also need to look at the vent covers which on a rig that age, are bound to be brittle from the UV rays of the Sun (replacements are relatively inexpensive). Once you know the roof is leak free, you will feel much better about anything else you would like to do inside or out.

You also need to think "safety" as far as the towing system is concerned. A rule of thumb for trailer tires is that they be replaced every five years or so, or at any sign of cracking of the sidewalls or shifting of the tread. Consider the cost of new tires when making your offer. As well you need give a good tug on the leaf springs, shackles and hangers. The bushings that the bolts go through tend to dry out at that age and if the prior owner towed with it like that, it could oval out the holes. This can cause excessive wear on the tires and other parts and could lead to the trailer being a sloppy tow. I changed all my springs and shackles for under $100, but this could also be figured into your offer price.

There is no questioning that older trailers will need work, by you or someone you trust. Be prepared. Be it a Sunline or any other brand; they all need maintenance and repairs to stay safe. I personally think the older trailer were better build than some of the new units today. Some people look at older Sunlines for what they are; others look at older Sunlines for what they could be. Have a look at our experience with our 1984 and maybe you'll will catch the bug that us Sunline owners enjoy: http://www.sunlineclub.com/forums/f6...per-15166.html

Best of luck with your decision. Please keep us updated and feel free to ask any questions you may have.
2009 Jay Feather Sport 165 - "Little Bird"
Former: '03 Super Duty, '04 Suburban, '84 Sunline T-1750, '99 Sunline T-2553, '04 Terry Quantum AX6,
bdichristina is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2015, 06:05 PM   #9

SUN #2097
All of the above is quite true. My T1700 had water damage in the rear storage compartment it was from a leaky tank vent on the roof. The roof on mine had a "repair" to the roof they put roof tar all across the roof edge where it meet the side wall. I removed the molding at the roof edge and discovered it can't leak there! After spending hours removing the roof tar and replacing the molding (the screws can leak so that was resealed) I went about resealing everything that poked throw the roof. If you own a multi tool the things with a flat blade they can't be beat for removing old sealant. The roof folds over the siding there really is no seam there that can leak. Yes on the spring shackles they have plastic bushing all most guaranteed they are worn out and most likely the pin are worn also. It’s not a big deal and Dexter dealers will have them. Breaks while you are there and the wheel bearings need a good going over.They are great old campers and worthy of a rebuild most others of that vintage are pretty much junk but their frames make pretty good flat bed trailers.
Old 02-13-2015, 07:31 AM   #10

SUN #7036
Thanks to all of you for the advice. Sorry I haven't replied sooner, I have been scouring the area for other options for the past 2 weeks. Passed on the other two mid '80's T1750's. I could have gotten either for much less than asking price but I don't want to sit in the drive working on a project for months...Just want to get out & about. Almost bought a '78 Trillium...tempting but then found a 1978 Sunline Saturn T1661. I am going to get her Monday, I'm excited & nervous. This will be my first camper but I think I have found a mechanically sound, well cared for, ready to camp unit. The owner has gone over every single function & maintenance he's done with me. Phew! The up-keep seems daunting. Regarding safety, 3 new tires, new grease, seals -bearings repacked. Bearing buddies installed. New chains etc. I will inspect leaf springs, shackles, hangers & bushings before towing home but have a feeling, if they need attention this owner(retired Navy man) would have done it. He's advising me to have a brake buddy?? installed. Any input on that? My towing capacity is 3300lbs, 3.5L V6 4wd w/manual overdrive. Breaks are fresh. T1661 aprox. 2085lbs. The only thing I don't like about this camper is an area on the awning side that was bumped into with a golf cart(out of control grand kids) Siding is messed up & an attempt was made to pull out dents. Some epoxy & clear sealant tape over 2 area's that were pierced maybe 4 inches long. I would appreciate any advise on getting a new piece of siding and/or repair. I will post pictures Monday evening. Thanks in advance to all of you, I will undoubtably need your support!
Old 02-13-2015, 08:29 AM   #11

SUN #2097
Hint do not use the bearing buddies you'll end up with grease all over the brakes they are intended for boat trailers with no brakes to force water out of the bearings. No ideal what a brake buddy is. If the bushings are worn out it will not come apart on the road but that does not mean they should be neglected if nothing else left alone it will trash parts that normally can be reused.
Old 02-13-2015, 08:41 AM   #12

SUN #2097
P.S. you can leave the bearing Buddies in place just do not grease the fittings no need to remove them.
Old 02-13-2015, 11:56 AM   #13

SUN #5039
bunjin is an unknown quantity at this point
I believe a "brake buddie" is what one puts in the "car being towed" to work the car's brakes.

Your TT should have electric brakes, which if in good working order would then differently be in effect your brake buddie.

Enjoy your "new-to-you" trailer!
P3 break control
"I know a lot about nothing and nothing about a lot"
bunjin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2015, 03:54 PM   #14

SUN #2097
Maybe the guy meant brake controller. That you will need it goes in your tow vehicle. Most states require you to have working brakes on trailers over 1000#
Old 02-13-2015, 04:24 PM   #15

SUN #7036
Bearing buddy...I have no idea what that is? Have been around boats a lot but I am a nube to hauling & campers.

Yes, break controller for the tow vehicle is what I believe he means. Evens out breaking between camper & tow vehicle? Thought that was what electric brakes on the camper does? The T1661 has electric brakes, sounds like it might be an unnecessary expense... $150+
Old 02-14-2015, 07:41 AM   #16

SUN #2097
No you'll have to have a controller that is what controls the camper brakes. Here is how it works the controller only allows power to the brakes that matches the braking on the TV other wise ever time you stopped the trailer would essentially applying full breaking locking the tires up just like a panic stop with you car.
Old 02-14-2015, 08:01 AM   #17

SUN #7036
Do you think I can tow it home 120miles, highway driving, safely?
Old 02-14-2015, 01:54 PM   #18

SUN #2097
That's some thing you'll have to decide for your self. Your stopping distance will be much greater keep that in mind.
Old 02-15-2015, 10:05 AM   #19

SUN #7036
Right, thanks. I bought one last night and if it ever warms up today (27º in NC) I will get it installed before bringing my new to me T1661 home. Thanks for the communications.
Old 02-16-2015, 09:06 AM   #20

SUN #5039
bunjin is an unknown quantity at this point
Good luck! BTW 27*F is a heat wave these days. It is -3* F here. We had -20 earlier. I won't mention the snow as I'm lucky compared to many here in the North East.

P3 break control
"I know a lot about nothing and nothing about a lot"
bunjin is offline   Reply With Quote