Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
Sunline RV Forum
Sunline User Photos

Go Back   Sunline Coach Owner's Club > Sunline Club Community Forums > Sunline Community
Click Here to Login

Join Sunline Club Forums Today

Old 03-04-2008, 08:07 PM   #1

SUN #89
JohnB is on a distinguished road
2004 Camper Roof Vents - A Friendly Service Message

Fellow Sunliners

This is a heads up service message on year 2004 ish time frame roof vents in case you happen to own a Sunline built around that 2004 era.

It seems Sunline ended up with a bad batch of roof vents. I do not know the entire deal on this, but I have heard some others also had issues on the 2004 models. It seems that either changed suppliers or the supplier change manufacturing methods but the end results where not good. By the time they figured out there was an issue, many units must have been built. They must of came back as field complaints as new you cannot tell there is a problem most likely.

I happen to be in a unique situation where I have qty 2, 2004 model Sunlines. And lucky me, I ended up with both of them with the problem children vents.

This 2004 T2499 I bought new in November of 2004. The TT was made in May of 2004. In this case Sunline was still in business and I just emailed LaRue a few pics and out came 3 new replacement vents to install Free.

See here in August of 2005. Camper now about 1 year 3months old. I was getting rust stain runs on the roof which is how I found it.

The problem once you have it spreads quick. I did not get around until notifying Sunline until November of 2005. See what can this can turn into from August until December.

The plastic dome also had hundreds of fine crack lines in it. Since the replacement I have had no issues on that TT. And I now also apply 303 UV Protectent from the time they are new, inside and out plus every so many months. I did not think much about this until this past weekend.

Now to my 2004 T310SR camper. I had noticed from the inside I had rust specs on my 2004 T310SR vents at the spot welds and that the dome was cracked. These roof vents had been under Maxx Air vents covers, most likely since the trailer was made/originally sold. I bought the TT used last fall.

This 2004 model was may in October of 2003. See here when I lifted the Maxx Air vent this past Saturday. This occurred under the Maxx Air cover.

And here is the bath room one.

The plastic dome literally disintegrated in my hands. The Maxx Air had to have shielded a lot of the sun, but still this thing fell apart. Bad plastic plus bad steel.

So if you own a TT made at least between Oct 2003 and May of 2004, or some where +- from there, check you roof vents even if they are under Maxx Air covers.

If you want to replace them, see this pict – o –gram in the repairs section.

Replacing Roof Vents 101

Hope this helps

John

Google Custom Search For Sunline Owners Club
JohnB is offline   Reply With Quote