Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
Sunline RV Forum
Sunline User Photos

Go Back   Sunline Coach Owner's Club > Sunline Club Community Forums > Sunline Community
Click Here to Login

Join Sunline Club Forums Today

Old 04-22-2012, 08:13 AM   #1

SUN #3575
Musikaldave is an unknown quantity at this point
1987 t-1661

Been working on the camper now for about two weeks and I'm very excited to see that the work, repairs that I've been making are coming along quite well.

I've been working on it primarily on the weekends, but with the time I've had, it's been a joy to see the progress.

When I first started ripping out the rotten wood, paneling etc., my hopes were diminished, but then I realized it wasn't as bad as I thought once all the trash was out and I began reframing.

I'm looking forward to some quality time camping this summer and I think this little camper is just perfect for my family's first camper.

Please be sure to check out the repair photos I'm posting.

Maybe we can share ideas!

Thanks for reading!

David

Old 04-22-2012, 06:08 PM   #2

SUN #89
JohnB is on a distinguished road
Hi Dave,

You doing a good job, keep it up. It will be worth it once your done.

Here is a hot link to Dave pics.

http://www.sunlineclub.com/forums/me...albums253.html

Dave, do not know what size you are uploading but they all seem to be thumbnail size even once they are expanded.

Good luck and thanks for sharing. We all learn from these pics and your good work reporting on it.

Thanks

John

Google Custom Search For Sunline Owners Club
JohnB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-28-2012, 08:04 AM   #3

SUN #3575
I know, the photos are very small, they're coming from my cell phone, which unfortunately you can't monkey with the size at all! Bummer. I'd take some with our digital camera, but that's broke. Right now I don't have the extra cash to buy a new one so I'm using the phone.

I finished frame work in the ceiling around the roof vent in the bathroom, that didn't go to bad at all. I tied in the new material after I cut back all the rot from the old stuff. I put the vent cap back on after giving it a nice coat of white paint "sprayed" and then sealed it down with new screws into the new frame work with a layer of plumber's putty between the vent and the wood. After I screwed it down, I put putty over all the screws and along the seam edges of the vent exterior and then spray painted a coat of rubber roofing over that all the way around the vent. If the spray on rubber doesn't stick to the putty (I haven't checked it yet, but I'm assuming it might now because the spray paint rubbed off on the putty and didn't dry) then I'm going to remove the putty and spray a nice heavy coat of the rubber on it only.

I pulled one of the rear windows out today, scraped all the old putty off it, cleaned the siding up a bunch, reframed the interior around the window and I'll be putting that window back in today. I should have most of the frame work finished today and on my way to insulating and paneling. All in all, the work hasn't been too much of a challenge, just takes patience and calm enough to move one step at a time.

In the beginning, seeing all the damage it looked impossible, but now I'm looking forward to some fun with the family!

I'll post more pics later!
Old 04-28-2012, 08:32 AM   #4

SUN #89
Hi Dave,

OK, no worries on the pics. Was more asking if you needed help sizing them up or down. We will take what ever we can get....

On the roof vents, see this post it may help.

http://www.sunlineclub.com/forums/f7...pics-8922.html

Plumbers putty is a OK temporary solution if you are in a pinch but do not know if it will hold up long term. That link will show the putty tape or butyl sealing tape for rubber roofs and the Dicor roof caulk. This is how the RV industry does this. If you end up with issues, try this route.

Good luck and looking forward to seeing your progress. Yes, there is not much one cannot fix in these campers but the "time" can end up taking more then one expects the first time through.

John

Old 04-28-2012, 10:55 PM   #5

SUN #3575
I took some pictures with the old digital camera tonight. Here is a link to the album, you can see it a whole lot better; http://www.sunlineclub.com/forums/me...albums256.html
Old 04-29-2012, 01:27 AM   #6

SUN #3575
I used the putty where you would normally put the "putty tape". I'm going to look at the rubber roof coating tomorrow to see if it stuck. If not, I'm going to get some of the seelant you mentioned and I'll go over all the screws with that. I have the basic standard vent cap that came with the camper, I may put a cover over it.
Old 04-29-2012, 07:47 AM   #7

SUN #89
Hi Dave,

WOW.... You do have a project....

The repair work is going good. That new frame work looks good.

I see you have the entry way door out, this post may help. You will need that putty tape or butyl sealing tape to reset the door. Water can seep in towing down the road or just runoff from the roof standing still

http://www.sunlineclub.com/forums/f7...ics-11717.html

Question for you, since your is older when you pulled the door how was the existing putty tape? Was it all deteriorated or still somewhat pliable and intact? Where there heavy dirt streaks all the way to the inside like the tap had released and allowed water to get by?

We all learn from these reconstruction efforts. Something I noticed was on the older window they use to have drop edge along the top. The newer ones do not.

Your doing great and we will keep rooting for ya. Go Dave go!

John

Old 04-29-2012, 05:27 PM   #8

SUN #973
DianeScraps
Send a message via Yahoo to DianeScraps
Great pics - thanks for sharing! The work will be sooo worth it!

1999 T2970 Sunline, Retired 2015

Current Camper is a 2016 Starcraft 28QBS
DianeScraps is offline   Reply With Quote