Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
Sunline RV Forum
Sunline User Photos

Go Back   Sunline Coach Owner's Club > Community Admin, News & Specials Events > Sunline Owners Club FAQs (Frequently Asked Questions)
Click Here to Login

Join Sunline Club Forums Today

Old 06-17-2019, 01:28 PM   #1

SUN #11183
Fred54 is an unknown quantity at this point
Vinyl plank flooring

I am in the midst of remodeling a 2005 sunline Solaris and was wondering if anyone has used vinyl plank flooring and could recommend what type would be best to use such as floating, peel and stick or glue down?

Old 06-17-2019, 08:22 PM   #2

SUN #123
Sunline Fan is an unknown quantity at this point
I used floating floor in a trailer that I sold, so I can't speak much on how it held up. I don't think I'd try to do it again though.

I would not recommend trying to put it under any cabinets. Make sure to leave enough gap around the edge and cover with quarter round, to allow for expansion. A trailer will have a lot more humidity fluctuations, which can cause the floor to buckle or have gaps.

2007 T-286SR Cherry/Granola, #6236, original owner, current mileage: 9473.8 (as of 6/18/21)
1997 T-2653 Blue Denim, #5471
1979 12 1/2' MC, Beige & Avocado, #4639
Past Sunlines: '97 T-2653 #5089, '94 T-2251, '86 T-1550, '94 T-2363, '98 T-270SR
Sunline Fan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-18-2019, 07:47 AM   #3

SUN #89
JohnB is on a distinguished road
We have had members do what you are talking about, not 100% sure what product they used.

I will add though, some brands of flooring swell with moisture and the camper living outside can go through many changes in humidity. Make sure which product you pick can handle the humidity changes and not swell to the point the pieces buckle up.

Hope this helps.

PS Try using the Google custom search link in my signature. Our admin made this for us and it can search the entire Sunline forum database really well, as opposed to the embedded search system with the forum software.

Google Custom Search For Sunline Owners Club
JohnB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-18-2019, 08:11 AM   #4

SUN #2097
mainah is an unknown quantity at this point
I tried it in a motorhome I had never again. It lasted about 1/2 a season before I pulled it all out kind of like riding a surfboard.
Old 06-18-2019, 11:33 AM   #5

SUN #11196
Melynny is an unknown quantity at this point
Our 2004 T1950 had the flooring replaced before we bought it. It's beautiful, flexes if needed and looks great. I have no idea what brand or what kind, I don't think it's the floating kind, or the kind that interlocks. I don't know what adhesive was used either.
Old 06-21-2019, 10:29 AM   #6

SUN #8853
ggrvguy is an unknown quantity at this point
I used a Laminate " Pergo Like " flooring in ours. It was really cheap as it was a clearance item. It's a floating floor and does not go under any cabinets. Looks great after 2 years of use. I have used the vinyl plank flooring in a bathroom at home because it was rated for high humidity/ wet areas. That has help up well and was easier to install. That was also a floating floor with baseboards covering the edges. I didn't try it in the camper because it's more expensive, plus sections of my floor needed to be cut out and replaced so I figured the hard laminate would be better at covering any seems in the plywood subfloor.
Gary G
Old 06-29-2019, 06:49 AM   #7

SUN #250
HurleyMan
I did a lot of research before doing my floor. My assessment after 2 years is that it fully met my expectations. No gaps at all. You couldn't slip a piece of paper in between the joints if you tried. It is beautiful, solid and durable. Here are couple thoughts I'll share that I believe contributed to this success. Use an interlocking waterproof Engineered Vinyl Plank (EVP). Mine has a PVC core that makes it rigid and waterproof. It is one of the most environmentally stable products on the market. Use urethane glue only. It comes in tubes and buckets. The right glue and a clean dry surface are equally as important as selecting the right flooring. The bottom line is whatever product you select, make sure it is waterproof, interlocking, and urethane glued. I think you'll end up with fantastic results. Here are links to the flooring https://www.lumberliquidators.com/ll...VPNM5/10043214 and glue https://www.homedepot.com/p/Roberts-...35-4/205337450 I used, for reference. Good luck!
Old 09-24-2019, 04:10 PM   #8

SUN #11591
jantim1990 is an unknown quantity at this point
We put vinyl plank in our Sunline also. So far so good, but it has only been in the camper since July. We did not glue it. My hubby put some screws in some inconspicuous spots on the start and end pieces. It looks fabulous and was a fairly easy install and wasn't that pricey. We are happy with it.
Old 09-25-2019, 11:31 AM   #9

SUN #11457
Yellowjacket is an unknown quantity at this point
I just finished putting down some floating EVP in my camper as part of a restoration effort. I had a couple of boxes left over after installing this in my living room of the house. It was purchased from Lumber liquidators and is CorLux brand. It has an attached pad on the bottom of the planks and they interconnect during install. It looks good, is very durable and also waterproof. The only downside is it's heavy. I only installed in the main camper areas , and left the storage areas just plywood. You do need to leave a gap on the edges for expansion, but small quarter round from home depot looks good on the border. I would advise against screwing or nailing the flooring at any areas if you go this route, that will cause the floor to buckle at the interconnects during expansion. Time will tell how it holds up, but I can't foresee any issues. I think if you go this route the attached pad is a necessity. With it, you couldn't move/slide the flooring if you tried, but without it, I could imaging the floor sliding at the gaps in a small space like a camper; especially if a plastic a vapor barrier was put down first. I layed mine down directly on the plywood and it flexs well if you have and areas of the floor that might not be perfectly level.