Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
Sunline RV Forum
Sunline User Photos

Go Back   Sunline Coach Owner's Club > Community Admin, News & Specials Events > Sunline Owners Club FAQs (Frequently Asked Questions)
Click Here to Login

Join Sunline Club Forums Today

Old 12-22-2019, 07:30 PM   #1

SUN #10385
marilynf95 is an unknown quantity at this point
Gray tank

Does anyone know where to find a gray tank. I have a 1989 Sunline T170 dual axel.

Old 12-22-2019, 11:07 PM   #2

SUN #89
JohnB is on a distinguished road
Here is a place to start https://www.icondirect.com/waste-holding-tanks/ There are other sites that sell "ABS plastic RV holding tanks", try a web search for them. I have used ICON before and can attest they have good quality and I had a good buying experience.

You will need to measure your old tank to be able to size it up.

If your tank is cracked or even has a large hole in it, the ABS tanks can be repaired. Do you still have the old tank and what it the issue requiring it to be replaced? We have had some members patch some really big holes for the entire dump valve being ripped out of the tank before and the tanks still going strong.

If the repair option sounds appealing to you, let us know some about the issues. Posting pictures really helps in these cases show us what you are up against to better help on how to fix it.

Hope this helps

John

Google Custom Search For Sunline Owners Club
JohnB is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 12-23-2019, 08:11 AM   #3

SUN #10385
marilynf95 is an unknown quantity at this point
The tank does have cracks and leaks but the main issue is the smell. I have tried everything to get rid of the smell and build up in the system from the sink drain and trap through to the outside drain. It still smells so bad it makes me get sick. And the build up of years of stuff is impenatrable.
Old 12-23-2019, 08:25 AM   #4

SUN #2097
mainah is an unknown quantity at this point
ABS plastic can be "welded" most modern body shops have the equipment because of the extensive use of ABS body parts. If yours is like my 90 T1700 the tank is long and not real deep and has the drain valve attachment as part of the tank and maybe hard to find a replacement.
Old 12-23-2019, 08:33 AM   #5

SUN #2097
mainah is an unknown quantity at this point
Quote:
Originally Posted by marilynf95 View Post
The tank does have cracks and leaks but the main issue is the smell. I have tried everything to get rid of the smell and build up in the system from the sink drain and trap through to the outside drain. It still smells so bad it makes me get sick. And the build up of years of stuff is impenatrable.
OK I had the exact same problem with mine and it turn out not to be the tank or vents. It was the inside of the toilet, to put it bluntly it was nasty. I had to pressure wash the entire inside of the toilet treat it with chlorine and do it again been fine for the last few years. It's a simple job when you replace the seal be sure to get a seal from the RV store they are not a wax seal like in a house. The best way to clean the inside of a tank is ice cubes a bit of water and go for a ride.
Old 12-23-2019, 03:04 PM   #6

SUN #89
JohnB is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by marilynf95 View Post

For cracks in the tank, see this post now ongoing where a member is dealing with a tank leak. http://www.sunlineclub.com/forums/f7...ing-19545.html

Here are some others
http://www.sunlineclub.com/forums/f7...ics-10555.html

http://www.sunlineclub.com/forums/f7...ial-17549.html

http://www.sunlineclub.com/forums/f7...ank-10504.html

The stink, for the tank itself, this product may work. I have used it and had good success. And gave some to another club member at a meet and greet on his 5th wheel when his tank sensors were stuck on. The extreme cleaner corrected his tank sensors overnight.
https://www.happycampersworld.com/pr...treme-cleaner/

They sell it on Amazon and some other places. Although Amazon right now seems to be out of it. I bought some their last spring. To use it, fill the tank with a few inches of water in the bottom. Mix up the Extreme tank cleaner in a 5 gallon bucket with about 4 gallons of water in it. Must mix/stir well before adding to the tank. Add mix to the tank. For real bad tanks, you use the whole container full for a 30 to 60 gallon tank.

Push the toilet pedal all the way open. Using a flash light, look at the liquid level. Fill the tank with more water until the liquid it about 1" up into the pipe to the toilet. It can be a little higher, the point is to get the tank filled totally to the top so the mixture will clean the top of the tank too.

Let the mixture sit for a day. Then dump and rinse. If yours is real bad, you may need to do it again. The entire container is for one 1 tank.

Then use a treatment program of Happy Campers normal tank treatment.

If the issue is in the toilet itself, then like Mainah posted, you may have to take the toilet out and apart to clean all the material out of it.

Once you get all cleaned up, flushing the tanks with water when you dump helps stop the build up. Best, is to install a tank sprayer in the tank to make it easier to flush the tank. Clean tanks to start with, then keep them clean.

By your post, I'm assuming you inherited this issue from a prior owner.

Hope this helps

John

Google Custom Search For Sunline Owners Club
JohnB is online now   Reply With Quote