Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
Sunline RV Forum
Sunline User Photos

Go Back   Sunline Coach Owner's Club > Community Admin, News & Specials Events > Sunline Owners Club FAQs (Frequently Asked Questions)
Click Here to Login

Join Sunline Club Forums Today

Old 06-23-2022, 06:34 AM   #1

SUN #3038
johnmanna is an unknown quantity at this point
Smile antenna wire

I have a 2002 2475 sunline sloris i need to run a new antenna wire from power booster up to antenna on roof does anyone know if its stappled to the rafter or if i can tape a new wire an pull it threw :

Old 06-23-2022, 06:12 PM   #2

SUN #8237
johnnybgood is an unknown quantity at this point
Are you sure you need a whole new coaxial? The connection at the roof is the weakest link.

I had problems and there was enough slack in the cable to cut off the old connection and install a new one, from the roof. All’s good now.

Old 06-23-2022, 07:37 PM   #3

SUN #3038
yes its all cracked an brittle right down to where it goes into the roof even the rubber boot is all dried out . ive done what you are talking aboy aready worked for awhile untill it split in another spot . ive replaced the cable thats in threw the antenna but this looks like a project thanks for answering
Old 06-23-2022, 07:45 PM   #4

SUN #3038
John B yes i replaced the wire that goes threw the antenna but its all brittle an cracked wher the rubber boot is on uu ive spliced it 2 times but now there is nothing left even the rubber boot needs replacing thanks for answering
Old 06-24-2022, 05:01 AM   #5

SUN #8237
johnnybgood is an unknown quantity at this point
Not sure we’re on the same page.

I also ran new cable through my antenna which also allowed me to replace both dried out boots.

I then replaced the metal connector that’s screwed to the roof, and while that was off I had enough cable slack in the cable that runs from the booster to cut off and install a new connector there.

I also purchased a coaxial compression kit which is way better than those twist on type connectors and the kit came with a tool for cutting the cable perfectly. Worth it’s weight in gold imo.
Old 06-24-2022, 05:53 AM   #6

SUN #3038
thanks John B . AT 1 TIME IT WAS I WIRE FROM THE POWER BOOSTER IN TH BEDROOM ALL THE WAY UP AN THREW THE ANTENNA . then i had 2 breaks so i cut an spliced the 2 togeather then more bad spots .SO I RAN A NEW WIRE FROM THE ANTENNA TO THE WHOLE IN THE ROOF WHERE THE RUBBER BOOT IS .BUT NOW THERES NOT ENOUGH SLACK TO PULL UP WIRE TO PUT NEW CONNECTOR ON . SORRY I DIDNT SEND PICKS NOT VERY GOOD AT THAT
Old 06-24-2022, 11:21 AM   #7

SUN #89
JohnB is on a distinguished road
Hi Johnmanna,

Seems we have have the John's on this....

To your first question, I have had the campers apart and the coax cable from the power booster down in the wall up to the Wineguard antenna "most" likely will not pull out all the way for a total cable replacement. There are two issues.

1. Pending the floor plan, they drill holes in the wall stud and then up into the attic. The one going into the attic is on an outside wall and they fit in a metal conduit sleeve in the drilled hole in the wood. The metal sleeve helps siding staples or screws from cutting the cable. That wire goes up the wall, through the conduit, and then a 90 degree turn into the attic is going to be a large catch point. Odds are likely. any new cable can have the insulation damage trying be pull up through that metal sleeve and turn hard 90 degrees into the attic.

That is, if you ever pull out the old cable even. Some floor plans have the cable pass through a few wall studs, again with metal sleeves going horizontal until they turn and go up into the attic, again through the metal sleeved hole.

2. The cable staple OR cable clamp. It depends on the floor plan and the routing if they add clamps. Some have them, some do not. It all depends on if the cable is sagging enough with the routing if they will add a clamp.

I'm not saying your T2475 cable will not come out, I'm saying odds are favorable it may not come out, and if you get it out, the new cable may be damaged trying to feed it back in through all those holes, assuming there are no clamps. I have pics of these sleeves in the wood at the attic if you want to see what I'm talking about. I'll hunt one up.

I have a 2004 T2475 as a project camper. I'm not sure if the roof antenna is in the same place as yours. I will look later today at where mine is mounted, where the inside power booster is and then maybe a way you can fish a new cable up there in a different manner then the original.

I'll be back, tell me where your roof antenna is located, that can help confirm they did not change the possible routing between 2002 and 2004.

Hope this helps

John

PS. As JohnnyB good said, I too did a total roof re-wire in the Wineguard metal arms and new boots replacement, and a new coax fitting in the ceiling, but there was enough wire for a splice in the ceiling. Did not have to pull a new wire through the camper.

Google Custom Search For Sunline Owners Club
JohnB is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 06-26-2022, 11:15 AM   #8

SUN #3038
thanks gys sorry i didnt get back sooner i went away friday John B tanks you were right there was enough to pull up an put a splice . to the other john thank you also 5 years ago i had a plywood roof installed so in wasnt able to see it but alls good now
Old 06-26-2022, 02:50 PM   #9

SUN #89
Hi Johnmanna,

Did you get past your cable problem or not? Not sure since you stated you where able to pull out and splice a new connector on.

I looked in my 2004 T2475 and the crank up Winegurad antenna is in the front bedroom along with the wall power amp and 12 VDC socket that runs the antenna. The roof antenna cable buried in the wall and ceiling goes first to that wall power amp.

Then, starting at the wall amp, there is a long run of cabler buried up in the wall, ceiling and back down to the TV hole in the cabinet above the dinette seat.

If you are still wanting to get a new cable from the TV roof antenna down into the wall amp, let me know, I'll explain more. I can see 2 options, neither is great, but may be doable. And let me know if your antenna crank and wall power amp is in the front bedroom.

John

Old 06-27-2022, 06:39 AM   #10

SUN #3038
Yes thanks John B was correct i was able to pull up enough to put a new end on its working great now Thanks again
Old 06-27-2022, 09:56 AM   #11

SUN #89
OK great, problem solved.