Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
Sunline RV Forum
Sunline User Photos

Go Back   Sunline Coach Owner's Club > Community Admin, News & Specials Events > Testing Area
Click Here to Login

Join Sunline Club Forums Today

Old 05-02-2013, 09:07 AM   #1

SUN #1694
GWildey is an unknown quantity at this point
Another Soft Floor Project

Last spring we purchased a '90 T-1550 to replacce our '83 T-1550. Shortly after we got it home we noticed the floor was soft near the entrance door. Over the winter I read every floor repair posting here and gained enough confidence to take on the challenge. I found that the lower awning bracket was never sealed properly so I now have water damage for a radius of 3' on the inside near where the bracket is is mounted on the outside. So far, I have removed half of the dinette a section of OSB floor about 3'x5' in the front corner, and the entrance door. I intend to peal back some of the outside skin to get access to the wall studs. I will also remove and replace 4 floor joists and the support along the front of the TT and the support under the wall to approximately the middle of the entrance door. What wood should I use to replace the floor joists, pine like Sunline used, pressure treated, poplar, maple or oak? If i do not use pressure treated wood I would plan on coating them with some type of Polyeurathane sealant before installation. What should I use for the flooring, OSB, plywood, exterior plywood, or marine grade plywood? Again I plan on sealing what ever wood I use.

Here are some of the starting pictures of the floor removal:
Attached Images
File Type: jpg P3290162.jpg (89.8 KB, 11 views)
File Type: jpg P4080168.jpg (103.9 KB, 8 views)
File Type: jpg P4250169.jpg (109.3 KB, 8 views)
File Type: jpg P4250170.jpg (65.2 KB, 9 views)

'83 T1550
'90 T1550
'06 Volvo XC90 V8
GWildey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2013, 03:05 PM   #2
Moderator Emeritus

SUN #897
EMD_Driver is an unknown quantity at this point
Send a message via MSN to EMD_Driver Send a message via Yahoo to EMD_Driver
Your work so far looks very good. When I replaced my floor, I used pressure treated lumber for the joists and pressure treated plywood for the subfloor. I thought about simply sealing regular lumber, but figured water would still find a way in. Even when you seal wood, you are only treating the outside. Once you put nails and screws in it, you are creating a pathway for water to get past the seal. The pressure treated wood was a bit more expensive, but well worth it to me.

Gary

2007 Peterson Excel Limited 30RKE
2014 Ford F350XLT SRW Crew Cab, Long bed 6.7PSD

EMD_Driver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-2013, 12:48 PM   #3

SUN #1694
GWildey is an unknown quantity at this point
Gary,
Thank you for your reply. Over the weekend I purchased several pressure treated 2x4's. I ripped them to 1 1/2" x 1 1/4" just like the floor studs. Immediately they started warping. So I tie-wrapped them together and used a few c-clamps. If they continue to show signs of warping I don't think I should use them. Did you have any warping? How did you prevent it?

Thanks for your help!

Gary

'83 T1550
'90 T1550
'06 Volvo XC90 V8
GWildey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2013, 12:33 PM   #4
Moderator Emeritus

SUN #897
EMD_Driver is an unknown quantity at this point
Send a message via MSN to EMD_Driver Send a message via Yahoo to EMD_Driver
I did not rip mine. I bought 2x4's and only cut them to length. I had no problem with warping. The factory installed 2x3's originally, so I only added a bit more strength. I also used pressure treated plywood for the subfloor. If it ever does get wet again, there will be less chance for rotting wood.

2007 Peterson Excel Limited 30RKE
2014 Ford F350XLT SRW Crew Cab, Long bed 6.7PSD

EMD_Driver is offline   Reply With Quote