Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
Sunline RV Forum
Sunline User Photos

Go Back   Sunline Coach Owner's Club > Community Admin, News & Specials Events > Forum Admin & Site Help
Click Here to Login

Join Sunline Club Forums Today

Old 11-26-2014, 02:59 PM   #1

SUN #6953
Darlyman is an unknown quantity at this point
Probably a " duh" question

I have real recently purchased a 2000 T-267SR,and just today had my truck wired for the electric brakes.Is the battery on the trailer tongue charged by the towing vehicle?

Old 11-26-2014, 03:44 PM   #2

SUN #2097
mainah is an unknown quantity at this point
Yes. it should be provided the installer that provided the wiring. Should be wired to pin 4 there should also be a fuse involved and possibly a relay. You should have a shut off circuit on the truck so once the key is off the camper can not kill the truck battery in case the trrailer is still hooked up.

Old 11-26-2014, 06:20 PM   #3

SUN #768
Gene is an unknown quantity at this point
Hi Darlyman, welcome to the forum and congrats on the "new" Sunline.

We don't consider any question to be a "duh" question so please do feel free to ask anything.

Gene & DW Ginny
2002 Sunline T-2363
2008 Toyota 4-runner 4wd 4.7L V-8
Reese Dual Cam straightline - P3 Brake controller
Gene is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-26-2014, 07:26 PM   #4

SUN #89
JohnB is on a distinguished road
Hi Darlyman,

Welcome to Sunline Owners Club and congrats on your new to you camper!

As mainah stated, yes if the truck is setup correct and the battery change fuse on the camper is not blown, then the camper battery will get a level of charge power truck when it is running. It will not recharge a heavily discharged battery very well, but it will help recharge a mild discharged battery to a level higher then not doing anything. It may/will take many hours to bring a battery back to 100% if you are drained down to 50 to 60%.

If you want to test this, here are 2 ways.

1. Unless a prior owner added a battery disconnect, on your vintage Sunline did not provide a camper battery disconnet. Unbolt the negative lead on the camper battery and place it aside. While the TT is connected to the truck, start the truck and let is idle. Now turn a light on inside the camper or outside the camper, just not a DOT light that runs off the truck running lights. The light should light as the truck is sending power through the 7 wire cable and powering up the camper. Since the battery is unhooked, the truck is providing the power.

2. If you have a voltmeter, connect the camper to the truck, start the truck and with the camper battery hooked up, measure the voltage at the battery. If it is being charged by the truck, the voltage at the battery needs to be between 13 to 14 volts which shows the truck charge voltage is getting to the camper battery. If the voltage is 12.7 or lower, then no charge is taking place.

If this neither method indicates the battery is being charged by the truck, then you have to sort out if the truck 7 wire receptacle on the back truck is wired correct or the charge fuse on the camper is blown or the wiring messed up. We can help sort out the camper if you need help.

Hope this helps and good luck

John

Google Custom Search For Sunline Owners Club
JohnB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-27-2014, 07:51 AM   #5

SUN #6953
Darlyman is an unknown quantity at this point
Wow,thanks for the fast replys mainah,Gene,and JohnB.The wiring was done at a local 4x4 shop.The person who installed it pointed out that my truck was missing the relay that energizes the#4 pin via ignition switch if I needed to have it powered.I just didn't know if this was a standard kinna thing or not.In the process of researching this is how I ran across this site.What a lucky find.We're new to this and really appreciate the help.Again thanks guys.
Old 11-27-2014, 08:40 PM   #6

SUN #89
JohnB is on a distinguished road
Hi Darlyman,

Ideally you can get that charge line working on the truck. The camper battery if it is charged well enough will handle the emergency break away system on the trailer, and all the turn signals etc run off the truck any way.

But, having the charge line working allows the ability to try and replace some of the charge lost in the battery if there is any. If you are only doing weekend camping and plugged into shore power all the time, then this is not so much a gain. However if you camp with no shore power and boondock, then when traveling you are putting some power back into the camper battery when you move from campsite to campsite.

And there is another side benefit. You may never need it, but it does happen. If the truck alternator dies, the camper battery helps keep the truck running as it will back feed to the truck. Not enough wire capacity to start the truck, but will keep it running.

While an obscure event, this happened to me this summer. My 2 grp 27 batteries on the camper kept the truck running all the way until I got home. Once home and I shut the truck off, that was it. The truck was DOA... Pure luck it died in the yard at home. Here is my "event" http://www.sunlineclub.com/forums/f7...uck-15967.html

Good luck

John

Google Custom Search For Sunline Owners Club
JohnB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-28-2014, 06:42 AM   #7

SUN #2097
mainah is an unknown quantity at this point
There is also the added benefit of being able to charge your camper battery with the truck while you are parked in the woods some where. It is not the most efficient generator for the job but it will keep you going.