Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
Sunline RV Forum
Sunline User Photos

Go Back   Sunline Coach Owner's Club > Community Admin, News & Specials Events > Forum Admin & Site Help
Click Here to Login

Join Sunline Club Forums Today

Old 04-17-2019, 10:05 AM   #1

SUN #11200
mecamp is an unknown quantity at this point
Model identification question

Is there anyone who can use my VIN to tell me what model I have and what year it is?
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 20190417_114230.jpg (35.5 KB, 13 views)
File Type: jpg 20190415_111050.jpg (80.8 KB, 5 views)
File Type: jpg 20190416_123032.jpg (64.7 KB, 5 views)
File Type: jpg 20190415_111020.jpg (71.0 KB, 7 views)

Old 04-17-2019, 10:45 AM   #2

SUN #10986
Tinstaafl is an unknown quantity at this point
I believe that's probably the serial number, not the VIN. Around the early 1980s, VINs were standardized with a 17-character format. Before that, it may have just been a serial number.

If there is actually a modern VIN on the trailer, it can usually be found on a metal plate riveted to the driver's side of the towing A-frame. Another location is underneath the entry door threshold (you'd have to remove the threshold to see it).

I know of 2-3 folks on here who may be able to ID your trailer pretty accurately just from those pictures. Give it a couple of days--many of the members here check in relatively infrequently compared to some other forums you may be accustomed to.

Old 04-17-2019, 10:59 AM   #3

SUN #11200
Thank you for the information. I appreciate your help. I will be checking those spots and waiting on people to chime in as well. Cheers
Old 04-17-2019, 05:24 PM   #4

SUN #2097
mainah is an unknown quantity at this point
Check the tong for a VIN or under the door sill plate. I'm in the Fryeburg area by the way.
Old 04-17-2019, 05:29 PM   #5

SUN #11200
Will do. Thank you
Old 04-17-2019, 10:25 PM   #6

SUN #123
Sunline Fan is an unknown quantity at this point
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tinstaafl View Post
I believe that's probably the serial number, not the VIN. Around the early 1980s, VINs were standardized with a 17-character format. Before that, it may have just been a serial number.

If there is actually a modern VIN on the trailer, it can usually be found on a metal plate riveted to the driver's side of the towing A-frame. Another location is underneath the entry door threshold (you'd have to remove the threshold to see it).

I know of 2-3 folks on here who may be able to ID your trailer pretty accurately just from those pictures. Give it a couple of days--many of the members here check in relatively infrequently compared to some other forums you may be accustomed to.
You're 100% correct, VINs were federally standardized to 17 digits in 1980, starting very late in the 1980 model year. Prior to that, manufacturers were free to use whatever format they wanted, and Sunline used between five and seven digits depending on the sequence number.

I should point out, the tag pictured at the top is NOT a VIN tag nor serial number tag. The RVIA number doesn't have any meaning to an average Joe, but since I've tracked these, I can narrow down a model year.

I've recently discovered there may not be a VIN tag under the door sill plate from this era of Sunline. Maybe they started that in 1980 with the VINs; before that could have only been under there if it was a truck camper.

Yeah, I don't make it on here nearly as much as I used to. I'm even too busy at work to check in during the day, lol.
2007 T-286SR Cherry/Granola, #6236, original owner, current mileage: 9473.8 (as of 6/18/21)
1997 T-2653 Blue Denim, #5471
1979 12 1/2' MC, Beige & Avocado, #4639
Past Sunlines: '97 T-2653 #5089, '94 T-2251, '86 T-1550, '94 T-2363, '98 T-270SR
Sunline Fan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-18-2019, 06:26 AM   #7

SUN #11200
Thank you very much for this new information. I'm happy to know what year it is, a 1980 later model and I can't wait to get out there today and look for that VIN number. This is going to be a really fun process and I will be excited to share the process with everyone
Old 04-18-2019, 11:53 AM   #8

SUN #11200
Vin number 1980? Model?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sunline Fan View Post
You're 100% correct, VINs were federally standardized to 17 digits in 1980, starting very late in the 1980 model year. Prior to that, manufacturers were free to use whatever format they wanted, and Sunline used between five and seven digits depending on the sequence number.

I should point out, the tag pictured at the top is NOT a VIN tag nor serial number tag. The RVIA number doesn't have any meaning to an average Joe, but since I've tracked these, I can narrow down a model year.

I've recently discovered there may not be a VIN tag under the door sill plate from this era of Sunline. Maybe they started that in 1980 with the VINs; before that could have only been under there if it was a truck camper.

Yeah, I don't make it on here nearly as much as I used to. I'm even too busy at work to check in during the day, lol.

Here is my vin
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 20190418_091550.jpg (49.6 KB, 8 views)
Old 04-18-2019, 02:46 PM   #9

SUN #10986
Tinstaafl is an unknown quantity at this point
And here it is right side up.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg vin.jpg (41.3 KB, 7 views)
Old 04-18-2019, 02:52 PM   #10

SUN #11200
Thank you, I don't know what happened that a couple of my pictures came out upside down but thank you for sorting it out
Old 04-18-2019, 11:30 PM   #11

SUN #123
Sunline Fan is an unknown quantity at this point
Hi Darren,

It's a 1981! Kinda caught me by surprise there, but I hadn't ruled it out. Like I said earlier, with that rare stripe combo, it's pretty unlikely you'll see another one like it.

You don't have any old family pictures of camping as a kid, do you?
2007 T-286SR Cherry/Granola, #6236, original owner, current mileage: 9473.8 (as of 6/18/21)
1997 T-2653 Blue Denim, #5471
1979 12 1/2' MC, Beige & Avocado, #4639
Past Sunlines: '97 T-2653 #5089, '94 T-2251, '86 T-1550, '94 T-2363, '98 T-270SR
Sunline Fan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-19-2019, 07:35 AM   #12

SUN #11200
Oh my word, I didn't even think about family pictures. I will have to ask around oh, I'm sure we do have some. That should prove it. Thank you for the idea
Old 04-19-2019, 11:46 AM   #13

SUN #11200
Hit by Tornado

Oh my, I'm really sorry to hear about what you have gone through. I think I know what you mean about the trailer not being insured if it was just sitting there. All of my trailers weather camping trailers or utility I covered while I am towing them or while it's attached to my vehicle. I know you a question is about how to find a suitable person to help you and your situation. I'm just learning myself. As for starting a new thread which I think maybe what you wanted to do I will try and take a picture of my main screen and show you. I'm new to this site but I have used this kind of format for antique snowmobile sites

Darren
Old 04-19-2019, 11:55 AM   #14

SUN #11200
For Merle 243

Merle 243

I will post three pictures I'm hoping it will come out correctly the first picture shows you on the home screen so you will see forms and then you will see home and beside it it won't show any categories.

More often than not for sunline you will want to look for the sunline community forums by scrolling down and then click on that. There you may be able to see a blue square that says new thread. If you click on that you will be able to create you a new thread. You should be able to upload pictures if you need to through that page and when you are replying if you want to use pictures I believe you don't choose quick reply but to the right of it it says something like advance and there again you can upload pictures in response to whomever has commented. I hope this helps, like I said I'm new to this forum as well

Darren
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Screenshot_20190419-134725.jpg (64.7 KB, 2 views)
File Type: jpg Screenshot_20190419-134736.jpg (69.7 KB, 2 views)
File Type: jpg Screenshot_20190419-134747.jpg (57.7 KB, 2 views)
Old 04-19-2019, 11:56 AM   #15

SUN #11200
I just used screenshot to get the pictures but if you look closely you can see the first one shows the home and the second one I believe will show The forum that has to do with sunline specific stuff and then the third picture should show you that blue square that says new thread once you are in the sunline community section. I hope it helps
Old 04-25-2019, 11:11 AM   #16

SUN #64
MACK C-85 is an unknown quantity at this point
Quote:
Originally Posted by mecamp View Post
Oh my, I'm really sorry to hear about what you have gone through. I think I know what you mean about the trailer not being insured if it was just sitting there. All of my trailers weather camping trailers or utility I covered while I am towing them or while it's attached to my vehicle. I know you a question is about how to find a suitable person to help you and your situation. I'm just learning myself. As for starting a new thread which I think maybe what you wanted to do I will try and take a picture of my main screen and show you. I'm new to this site but I have used this kind of format for antique snowmobile sites

Darren
Quote:
Merle 243

I will post three pictures I'm hoping it will come out correctly the first picture shows you on the home screen so you will see forms and then you will see home and beside it it won't show any categories.

More often than not for sunline you will want to look for the sunline community forums by scrolling down and then click on that. There you may be able to see a blue square that says new thread. If you click on that you will be able to create you a new thread. You should be able to upload pictures if you need to through that page and when you are replying if you want to use pictures I believe you don't choose quick reply but to the right of it it says something like advance and there again you can upload pictures in response to whomever has commented. I hope this helps, like I said I'm new to this forum as well

Darren
Quote:
I just used screenshot to get the pictures but if you look closely you can see the first one shows the home and the second one I believe will show The forum that has to do with sunline specific stuff and then the third picture should show you that blue square that says new thread once you are in the sunline community section. I hope it helps
Three days a member and already posting well documented and extremely helpful info for another member.......you're going to fit right in around our virtual campfire!!! Welcome!!!!

My parents had us kids out camping very early. First, in a tent, immediately into a pop-up trailer (did I mention that it rained 7 out of the 10 days we were in the tent?), then later into a travel trailer, and finally into a park model at the beach!!! Lots of fond memories!!! Good luck on your restoration!!!

2004 Dodge Ram 2500 Club Cab 4x4 CTD
2007 Sunline Solaris T-276-SR: Misty Blue/Cherry
2001 Dodge Ram 1500 Reg Cab 4x4 OFF-ROAD
MACK C-85 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-2019, 03:22 PM   #17

SUN #11164
billhman is an unknown quantity at this point
It appears the VIN code is going to remain a mystery. I've always wanted to interpret my VIN also. With that said does anybody know what these T codes are? For example mine is is Solaris T-3060. I have no idea what these numbers mean.

Bill H
Old 04-25-2019, 03:33 PM   #18

SUN #64
MACK C-85 is an unknown quantity at this point
Quote:
Originally Posted by billhman View Post
It appears the VIN code is going to remain a mystery. I've always wanted to interpret my VIN also. With that said does anybody know what these T codes are? For example mine is is Solaris T-3060. I have no idea what these numbers mean.

Bill H
I believe it means trailer (i.e. no slides) as ours is a SR - 276 which indicates it is a slide room trailer.

2004 Dodge Ram 2500 Club Cab 4x4 CTD
2007 Sunline Solaris T-276-SR: Misty Blue/Cherry
2001 Dodge Ram 1500 Reg Cab 4x4 OFF-ROAD
MACK C-85 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-2019, 03:39 PM   #19

SUN #969
shepherds2
Send a message via AIM to shepherds2
vin # identification

Here is what I was able to determine from My VIN # on a 2006 trailer.
1LC2S1G2XBD175689. The "D" stands for the Denver, Penn. building plant. The following 2 numbers "17" is the approximate length of trailer. The last 4 numbers are your factory Build # "5689", which means that your trailer was the 5,689 total of all trailers built by Sunline at this time, and "689"th built that year. This includes two different factories. I can't determine the year of build because I forgot the code for that.. Someone else might be able to help out with that part. Good luck, Capt. Ron
Old 04-26-2019, 10:01 AM   #20

SUN #11164
billhman is an unknown quantity at this point
Thanks , capt Ron. The D 17 makes sense. My number has a D 30. my unit is a 30 ft solaris. I'm sorry but I didn't quite understand the deal with the last 4 digits BH