Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
Sunline RV Forum
Sunline User Photos

Go Back   Sunline Coach Owner's Club > Community Admin, News & Specials Events > Forum Admin & Site Help
Click Here to Login

Join Sunline Club Forums Today

Old 04-27-2022, 08:04 PM   #1

SUN #13202
Gary Oswald is an unknown quantity at this point
Converter trips my homes circuit breaker

Hello i have a 2001 Sunline Solaris T-2670 travel trailer. Starting today when I plug it into my households outlet it trips my homes circuit breaker. The fan either doesn't come on or only comes on briefly on the converter unit. The converter is Centurion CS4500. Any advice would be appreciated. What is a compatible new converter to replace the old one with ? Thanks

Old 04-28-2022, 07:45 AM   #2

SUN #2097
mainah is an unknown quantity at this point
Because it is not the only thing on the AC circuit I would not jump to conclusions just yet. AC unit, all outlets, TV, refrigerator. Frist thing I would do is try another house outlet. Then move on to the rest one at a time, unplug every thing, turn off the breakers turn them on one at a time and see what happens.

Old 04-30-2022, 07:06 PM   #3

SUN #89
JohnB is on a distinguished road
Hi Gary,

I agree with mainah, it might not yet be your power converter tripping th home GFI.

Do what mainah stated but also tell us some about your camper. Did you just get it and it never worked on your home GFI or you had the camper a long time, years and now it is acting up? Trying to find out if you inherited a problem this is s a new one.

Has anyone done anything with wiring in the camper, either on the 120 volt AC side or the 12 volt DC side? If they did, please tell us what they did.

If it comes to be the power converter, and you can post a pic of what the Centurion CS4500 looks like, then we can help point you to possibly a drop in new complete replacement power converter, or a just the converter portion and you keep the old fuses/circuit breakers. Centurion went out of business and American Enterprises took over and I'm not sure if they are still in business. Around the 2001 time frame the Centurion and the American Enterprises looked like the same power center, just a different label on it. This place has what can help you if you need to buy one. I have spoke to Randy and he knows his stuff and has good service and fair prices. He handles a lot of brands for a lot of different power converters Bestconverter.com https://www.bestconverter.com/

I have bought 5 of the converters off of him over the years to replace burnt out ones. But none of them tripped a GFI, they just stopped making 12 volts or other noises.

The fan not running in the power converter may be normal, pending the vintage, it would run when it calls for cooling due to increased load and shut off when not needed.

Hope this helps

John

Google Custom Search For Sunline Owners Club
JohnB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-2022, 07:11 PM   #4

SUN #89
JohnB is on a distinguished road
If you need help posting pics, here are the basics.

There are 3 ways to add pics.

1. Upload pics to a specific post attaching them at the end of the post.

2. Linking them in from a public viewable web photo hosting service you have.

See here for 1 and 2 https://www.sunlineclub.com/forums/f...html#post86041

3. You can upload pics to the forum in your own personal photo album. Then link them to anywhere in the text of a post. See here on how to create an album. https://www.sunlineclub.com/forums/f...html#post87945

If you still get stuck, let us know. Pic's go a long way in helping show things you are working on, and we really like seeing Sunline pics!

Hope this helps

John

Google Custom Search For Sunline Owners Club
JohnB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2022, 05:40 AM   #5

SUN #2097
mainah is an unknown quantity at this point
Older GFI's can be finicky them self's and over sensitive to ground issues. The camper having no earth ground with out being plugged in adds to the problem it becomes a big appliance. GFI outlets are pretty cheap a new outlet is actually fairly advanced over older ones and have solved some of the false tripping issues. If this is the outlet you are likely to use for the camper I would replace the GFI just because and see where that gets you. It's pretty crazy you can buy a GFI tester or buy an outlet for about the same price.
Old 05-05-2022, 11:21 AM   #6
jgt

SUN #10020
jgt is an unknown quantity at this point
Mice?