Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
Sunline RV Forum
Sunline User Photos

Go Back   Sunline Coach Owner's Club > Community Admin, News & Specials Events > Forum Admin & Site Help
Click Here to Login

Join Sunline Club Forums Today

Old 07-29-2022, 03:31 PM   #1

SUN #13345
acopeland is an unknown quantity at this point
Awning recommendation for 14.5 RK

Hello, we recently purchased a Sunline 14.5 RK Camper and want to add an awning. Are there any recommendations for the best awnings to install on this model? Thank you!

Old 08-01-2022, 01:16 PM   #2

SUN #89
JohnB is on a distinguished road
Hi.

What year is your 14.5 RK?

Some of the older campers had a gutter rail with a cord slot in, others only had a gutter and no slot, some had no gutter, just a molding at the roof line. Look and see what your has, and ideally post a picture of the roof line and any gutter or molding that is in on it so we can help better

Also measure the length of the roof line. On a 14.5 camper the roof line might be 8ft to 10ft. Etc and the length may limit your choices of what you can buy to install.

They are 2 basic types of awnings that may work on your camper. A bag type awning or a roll up awning.

The bag type are often used on pop up campers, the support poles fold up and you roll up the awning and the arms of into a bag attached to a cord rail mounted to the side of the camper.

The roll up awning is also attached to a cord rail on the side of the camper but the arms that support a roller tube are mounted to the camper at the floor line area. The awing fabric rolls up on the tube and the arms fold to the store on the side of the camper

The bag awning is for sure less cost then the roll up type. The roll up type are limited on how short they are offered, and the bag type are limited how long they make them.

How to mount the cord rail is something to work through of either type. This is where pics of the side of the camper helps.

Hope this helps

John

Google Custom Search For Sunline Owners Club
JohnB is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2022, 10:38 AM   #3

SUN #13345
acopeland is an unknown quantity at this point
Thank you for your response! Our Sunline is from 1982. I am attaching pics of the rail at the top and it's 108" long (8'8"). Any and all recommendations are appreciated!
Attached Images
File Type: jpg IMG_8942.jpg (76.0 KB, 7 views)
File Type: jpg IMG_8943.jpg (155.2 KB, 7 views)
File Type: jpg IMG_8944.jpg (60.8 KB, 6 views)
Old 08-07-2022, 08:15 AM   #4

SUN #89
JohnB is on a distinguished road
Hi,

Thanks for the pics. That really helps. I am a little handicapped doing this from
my phone, but I hope this points you in the right direction.

It is hard see see close on your pics but it does look like your gutter rail has a cord slot on it. See this pic on the RecPro site as they sell gutter rail with the cord slot. https://www.recpro.com/rv-awning-trim-with-gutter/

Your older rail may be slightly different, but if it has the C shaped slot in it, then am awning fit in that slot.

From what I know, a bag type awning may only be what will fit to your camper. The more popular roll up awnings have a short length issue, not made that small, and they need more structure on the camper to mount

We had a member, Thomascine if I recall right, add the bag awning to her older Sunline. There is a post on it here somewhere. I’ll see if I can did it as she had pics of it

This brand. Carefree of Colorado, they call theirs the “Campout” awning. Hope this link works. https://www.e-carefree.com/ecarefree...=79&action=cfg

That is a good quality awning. My son had that style awning on his pop up.

Shademaker is another manufacturer that make the bag type awnings, I know of them but never say one up close to know how the quality is.

There are other brands too I’m sure as there are lot of these type awnings out there

Hope this helps. If you find an awning and need help on mounting it, let us know we may be able to help on how to find wood structure to mount too

John

Google Custom Search For Sunline Owners Club
JohnB is online now   Reply With Quote

Tags
14.5 rk, awning installation