Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
Sunline RV Forum
Sunline User Photos

Go Back   Sunline Coach Owner's Club > Technical Forums > Modifications
Click Here to Login

Join Sunline Club Forums Today

Old 03-15-2008, 07:54 PM   #1

SUN #89
JohnB is on a distinguished road
Turbo Maxx Power Roof Vent Install (With Pic's)

Fellow Campers

For those that have not had a Turbo Maxx Power Roof Vent, this post might help you on how to install or to give you a thought to add one.

We have a pass thru bathroom on the T310SR and it is in the middle of the camper. We installed the Turbo Max in the bathroom and only use it on exhaust. Sort of like a whole house fan it can draw in the bed room at night thru the windows or even out in the galley area. You just close off what widows you do not want it to draw thru.

We have the one with 3 speeds and the thermo stat. The only caution on using this in the bath is to make sure it is off when you flush and only use it in exhaust mode. Then there are no issues with black tank gases being drawn up.

This is the 2nd one I have installed. I put on in the T2499 as well a few years ago. They work great.

I’ll do this with pic’s as it seems to be easier to follow. Maxx Air does give a good set of picture instructions with the unit. And they have it online as well. http://www.maxxair.com/Products/Turbo-Maxx.aspx

First is the fan itself. It is a rugged hood and fan system. Very durable. I also put 303 UV protectent inside and out before installing to give it an added level of sun protection.

And the fan shroud

And a close up on the fan motor.

No onto the roof. In my case I was already replacing the roof vent for rusting reasons. You do not have to replace the vent to add the Turbo Max. It bolts on to the existing one. You do have to drill a 3/8” hole to let the wires get in. Make sure you mark the hole with the vent lid closed. Or else the connector will hit. And do not put it too low to prevent the possible of water getting in. Right on the edge of the closed vent is best.

The brackets drill to the side of the roof vent

Here is the wire side fishing the wire thru

And the wire all the way thru. That black connector is a press fit if you use the 3/8” drill bit. So it is a real good tight seal.

Then inside you put a retaining clip on the fitting to keep it from backing out.

And here is the finished install on the roof. They give you stainless hardware which is good so it will not rust. And it is foam gasket sealed to the roof to keep dirt our from along the roof.

Now to the inside. You put the screen up in place and fish the wires on the outside of it.

And you have to drill a 3/8” hole in the plastic shroud. Heads up where you out this. Too low and the wires fight you big time. You need to hold the control unit up to the shroud, see where the wires come thru then mark a hole. And it needs to be high enough to not be dead on the bottom.

I also put 303 UV Protectent on the screen edging and this vent throat shroud.

The you fish the fan and power wires thru the hole

And put the shroud up.

Then you need to layout the control module. It has a backing plate. And it can be installed 2 ways. Both work, but one is better looking. And if you do not know this, well you end up drill 2 set of holes. Like I did. It got me twice, 3 years apart…. So don’t you do the same thing…
See here it fits well on the inner radios, but this does not give a flush mounting of the control module.

Now here is the more eye appealing way. You use the outer radius. Must be this fits other different vent shrouds.

Then you plug in the wires in the control module.

Give it a test fit and see if the holes line up to your marks. If so then pilot drill the holes.

Here is a top pic. You can see how the wire sneak in to the top of the control unit and then under that backing plate. Getting the wires all put up in there is the hardest part of this install, believe it or not. Use nice flexible power wiring. The wire insulation type I used was more of a THHN type and stiff. I happened to have a couple rolls of it so I used it verse buying new. And these are fed with 14 awg wire, same as what I hooked up to in the camper. In my case I taped into the old bath exhaust fan wiring.

And the control module fully installed.

If this is your first one to ever install, be prepared for about 3 to 4 hours of dry roof time. Just getting the ladder and stuff ready is a lot of the time.

Inside work is about 1 to 2 hours.

Hope this helps.

John

Google Custom Search For Sunline Owners Club
JohnB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-15-2008, 09:21 PM   #2

SUN #44
SanDimasJoe
John,
Any trouble fishing the existing wiring to connect to the Maxxair? Or is it pretty much straitforward.

Joe

SanDimasJoe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-17-2008, 06:47 AM   #3

SUN #258
pwb01 is an unknown quantity at this point
I found the nearest light fixture to be only about 12" away so there was a pretty good chance that there were no studs between the fixture and the vent opening other than the vent frame. You can probe in there to be sure. I dropped the ceiling light fixture, drilled a hole from the vent frame opening through the wooden vent frame. Then I fished a coat hanger through the fixture opening in the ceiling and through the hole in the frame, taped wires to it and pulled back through. The whole operation took 15 minutes. Just make sure this isn't a switched light fixture.

Note: I use battery most of the time so I didn't opt for the thermostat. I don't want the fan to come on unless I turn it on. I'm very pleased with this fan. Works very well.
2013 Rockwood 8280WS 5th wheel
2006 Sunline Solaris T-1950
pwb01 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-17-2008, 01:47 PM   #4

SUN #44
SanDimasJoe
Maxxair Fan

Paul,
Thanks for the info. Im going to install one over the kitchen area in my T2553. There is a light fixture close by. Did you have any trouble with the insulation?

Joe
Old 03-17-2008, 02:39 PM   #5

SUN #258
pwb01 is an unknown quantity at this point
The insulation's not a problem. The coat hanger just pushes through it. As I said though, make sure it isn't a wall switched fixture. My T-1950 has one wall switched light ahead of the vent and a non-switched one behind at the same distance. You want access to full time power.

I find that on a hot evening when it's cool outside, I open one window at the back of the unit and close the door and all the other windows. On high exhaust the unit cools down in a couple of minutes.

Have fun.
2013 Rockwood 8280WS 5th wheel
2006 Sunline Solaris T-1950
pwb01 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-17-2008, 06:21 PM   #6

SUN #44
SanDimasJoe
Maxxair

I've been to the RV show in Pomona, CA when it was very hot a few years ago. Went into one of the trailers to check it out. Phew, it was hot inside. The salesman turned on the vent fan(don't know what kind) and wow, it cooled down almost immediately. I was very impressed.
Joe
Old 03-17-2008, 09:52 PM   #7

SUN #89
Joe

It sounds like pwb01 has you fixed up. Sorry I do not get back until tonight. As while I did not have to do it that way, if I was going to add somewhere else, then I would of pulled the light fixture, drilled a hole in the stud by the vent and go fishing.

Mine was in the bath room. I used the power feed that was allready there for the little Wizzzzzz fan. I took that litte fan out when I added the Turbo Maxx.

Good luck and let us know how you make out.

John

Old 03-18-2008, 06:13 AM   #8

SUN #105
mbart5fan
I had the dealer install our TurboMax fan in the LR vent when I purchased the coach. The power was fed from a nearby unswitched light the same as Paul's. As we camp mostly at state parks with no power this works great to help cool the coach after a hot day.

John, great post as usual. The detail you provide is very helpful for those of us who want to do similar projects.

Mike
Old 03-19-2008, 07:38 PM   #9

SUN #89
Mike

Thanks for the kind words.

This site is like a virtual campground full of genuine nice camper folks.

I have yet to talk to a neighbor in a campground and ask them a few questions and they give all they can by just asking.

Here we just do it thru a keyboard and pic’s when we can.

Hope the snow goes away soon up your way so you can get back out and do some real camping. Cyber camping is great, but does not replace the real thing….

John

Old 05-25-2013, 12:32 PM   #10

SUN #1546
apackoftwo is an unknown quantity at this point
Question

Quote:
Just make sure this isn't a switched light fixture.
I want to to order the MaxxAir turbo this weekend but where I want to to put mine is the vent in living room area and the nearest light fixture is a switch that urns on by the road. Is there a reason I can't use this light fixture because its a switch fixture?

Joan & Miss Emme Lu Who
Full Timing in T-1950 2005 Anniversary Model
1997 6.5L Chevy Turbo Diesel Truck
"Pure Michigan"
Facebook: Apackof2 for the Rd
apackoftwo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-26-2013, 04:49 AM   #11

SUN #2097
mainah is an unknown quantity at this point
Quote:
Originally Posted by apackoftwo View Post
I want to to order the MaxxAir turbo this weekend but where I want to to put mine is the vent in living room area and the nearest light fixture is a switch that urns on by the road. Is there a reason I can't use this light fixture because its a switch fixture?
It depends on how they wired the light. If the power goes to the switch first the only way it would work is to have the switch on. However if the power goes to the light first then you can have the fan work with out the switch being on by landing the wires ahead of the switch wiring.
Old 05-27-2013, 09:38 AM   #12

SUN #1546
Question

Thank You. Is there a problem IF the power goes to the switch first and I am required to have the switch on?

Quote:
Originally Posted by mainah View Post
It depends on how they wired the light. If the power goes to the switch first the only way it would work is to have the switch on. However if the power goes to the light first then you can have the fan work with out the switch being on by landing the wires ahead of the switch wiring.

Joan & Miss Emme Lu Who
"Pure Michigan"
Old 05-30-2013, 01:12 PM   #13

SUN #1546
I purchased mine and Amazon just send me an e-mail that its suppposed to arrive this Monday. I am having my local RV dealer install on Wed. so I HOPE its doesn't take hours. Not with the cost of RV labor

I just did not want to tackle it myself and could not rustle up any help

Quote:
Originally Posted by mbart5fan View Post
I had the dealer install our TurboMax fan in the LR vent when I purchased the coach. The power was fed from a nearby unswitched light the same as Paul's. As we camp mostly at state parks with no power this works great to help cool the coach after a hot day.

John, great post as usual. The detail you provide is very helpful for those of us who want to do similar projects.

Mike

Joan & Miss Emme Lu Who
"Pure Michigan"
Old 06-01-2013, 08:04 PM   #14

SUN #89
Joan,

If the power comes from the switch, that will still work as I think in the 2005 Sunny's you can have the little black switches still on the lights. Yes, the wall switch will turn the fan and light on, however the fan has a switch and so does the light itself. The only inconvenience will be, to flip off the light at the light when you want to run the fan without the light. And then flip off the fan when not in use so you can use the wall switch for the light.

The flipping of switches.... far outweighs the positive benefit of the fan.

Good luck, you will be happy with the fan

John