Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
Sunline RV Forum
Sunline User Photos

Go Back   Sunline Coach Owner's Club > Travel Forums > Trips & Vacations
Click Here to Login

Join Sunline Club Forums Today

Old 02-21-2014, 08:19 AM   #1

SUN #987
awellis3
Planning a summer trip north

Penny and I had a nice trip to Florida (St. Aug and Crystal River). She picked up some brochures at the Richmond RV show and is now interested in doing a couple of weeks in the North this summer.
We have compromised on my wanderlust tendencies. As on our Fla. trip, she'd ideally like to camp one week somewhere and use that as a basecamp to sightsee, then move once again to do the same thing. I get to see stuff, and she doesn't have to relocate every few days or so.
We are in the initial planning stage, and I thought I'd ask this fine, well-seasoned group of experts for suggestions.
Suggestions don't need to be real specific at this point.
I love the sea coast, boats, seafood and nautical history. Penny does, too (minus the history), but mountains top her list especially if there're quilt or folk craft shops involved.
Places we've discussed include upstate NY (we've a niece in Saratoga Springs we want to see), New Hampshire and Maine.

Thanks for any help,
Teach

"Life is a cruel teacher. She gives the test first; the lesson then follows."
awellis3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2014, 04:04 PM   #2

SUN #213
Diane is an unknown quantity at this point
Acadia National Park in Bar Harbor, ME, is fabulous. We have been twice and are headed back there this July for seven nights. Lots of hiking, the Jordan Pond Tea House, spectacular ocean scenery, and good food.

In 2013, we went to Camden, Rockland, and Rockport, ME, and then moved on to Eastport, ME. We also visited Campbello Island which is actually in Canada and you need passports to enter Canada and return to the US. There were beautiful lighthouses and parks.

Does it sound like we love Maine? LOL

Former 2011 North Trail & 2014 Open Range
Current 2017 Grand Design Solitude 310GK
2016 Ford F-350 Lariat Diesel
Diane is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2014, 05:57 PM   #3

SUN #2097
mainah is an unknown quantity at this point
Western Maine and the NH white mountains. 1 hour to the sea coast but the southern end of Maine can be quite crowed in the summer. Bar Harbor, Acadia can't be beat and there is a great state park in Camden that is in the mid coast region. Owl's Head museum if you up that way is a must see also there is more than enough to do there for months if not years. So coming from VA hit the mountains then move up the coast dinner or lunch at the Mount Washington Hotel in Crawford Notch NH (my favorite place for lunch worth the hour or so ride for me) I'll shamelessly promote Woodland Acres camp ground in Brownfield ME for your mountain fix and come visit you during your stay and say howdy (I do part time work for them and live less than a mile away). Close by Conway NH has a zillion outlet stores and it's a great tourist town with very nice places to eat and lots of activates. Check out Camden Hill state park for your mid coast stay but you can’t go too far wrong with any camp grounds up that way they fill up fast so book well in advance.
Old 02-21-2014, 06:41 PM   #4

SUN #768
Gene is an unknown quantity at this point
Yes, Mount Desert Island and Acadia is a "must see". The village of Bar Harbor is quaint but touristy. Of interest in the village of Bar Harbor might be the Abbe Museum about the Wabanaki Nations history. The prettiest little village is Somesville on the West side of the island and then going South the views around Southwest Harbor. .... I could go on forever about Mt. Desert Island.

For a Mountain view base, North Conway may be a choice even if it is overrun with tourist stuff. There is a League of New Hampshire Craftsmen store there and a place called "The Craft Barn" that has works by local craftspeople for sale.

A nice day trip is the ride over the Kancamagus Highway (the "Kanc") to Lincoln, up through Franconia Notch, Twin Mountain, Crawford Notch and back to North Conway. Mt. Washington is also a short ride from there.

You might be interested in the League of New Hampshire Crafsmen Fair August 2 to10 at Mount Sunapee Resort in Newbury, NH. https://www.nhcrafts.org/craftsmens-fair-overview.php

Gene & DW Ginny
2002 Sunline T-2363
2008 Toyota 4-runner 4wd 4.7L V-8
Reese Dual Cam straightline - P3 Brake controller
Gene is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2014, 08:11 AM   #5

SUN #987
awellis3
Allrighty now, let's hear from the fans of upstate New Yawk.

Thanks for the help,
Teach
Old 02-22-2014, 09:49 AM   #6

SUN #93
Poppy & Nana is an unknown quantity at this point
I live in upstate NY BUT camp elsewhere......sorry!!!!
We loved our 2007 T-2499
2010 Ford F-350 4x4 Lariat Super Crew Dually Diesel
Poppy & Nana is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2014, 08:35 PM   #7

SUN #89
JohnB is on a distinguished road
We use to line in upper NY, now live in Ohio and go back to real upstate NY to camp.... Never seemed to find the time when we lived there... Also did not have the camper then.

Google Custom Search For Sunline Owners Club
JohnB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2014, 08:38 PM   #8

SUN #89
JohnB is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by awellis3 View Post
Allrighty now, let's hear from the fans of upstate New Yawk.

Thanks for the help,
Teach
Teach are you up for boondocking? There is a lot of Upstate NY in the Adirondacks if you want a real good woodsy get away.

Google Custom Search For Sunline Owners Club
JohnB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2014, 12:28 AM   #9

SUN #4659
LauraRG is an unknown quantity at this point
I haven't camped in NY, but last year we did ride our motorcycles through New England (ME, NH, Vt, CT, NY) and we throughly enjoyed it. Mt. Washington in NH is well worth the trip, Burlington, VT has Ben and Jerrys ice cream and Green Mountain Coffee. There are a number of other food places in the area. Crossing Lake Champlain by ferry is fun too. In NY we loved lake George and in Sarasota Springs be sure you visit Grant's Cottage (where U S Grant spent his last days) Just getting TO Grant's Cottage is an interesting experience! There are plenty of waterfalls to visit. (And don't forget NY's wineries!)

Have a great trip!
Old 02-23-2014, 07:53 AM   #10

SUN #987
awellis3
Quote:
Originally Posted by JohnB View Post
Teach are you up for boondocking? There is a lot of Upstate NY in the Adirondacks if you want a real good woodsy get away.
I'm now the proud owner of a Yamaha 2000KW. I have twin 30# propane tanks and two Gr24 deep cycles on the tongue. Also have a Thetford honey cart. (I need to do a "big wheels" mod to it and I bet you know how.)
So ... yes.

Teach
Old 02-25-2014, 10:21 PM   #11

SUN #3415
Ham Radio Op is an unknown quantity at this point
Hi Teach and Penny,

Nancy and I love Maine! We have been there many times, but only once did we camp. That was in 1989 and we used our Coleman Sequoia pop up staying at Hadley's Point campground. The campground met our needs very well. Our site had water and electricity and was partially shaded. We found a motel, The High Seas, that we have used a number of times. I decided to go the motel route, because we go mid June and we could stay at the motel for less than some of the more expensive campgrounds and not have to pull the trailer. At 700+ miles and seven to nine miles per gallon, driving the car at 25 to 30 miles per gallon just works better for us.

Camden, Rockport, Rockland, Bar Harbor, Acadia and lots of other places to visit. The Owls Head Transportation Museum near Rockland is really interesting. The scenery, hiking trails, carriage roads in Acadia are great. The Acadia Information/visitors center is an excellent place to use as a starting point. They have an introductory film that is only about 15 minutes long but gives a quick overview of the park. There is also a very nice 3-D map, at the center, that helps orient visitors.

Mount Desert Island offers many private campgrounds, as well as two federal campgrounds, Blackwoods and Seawall. Prices range from around $30 to $80 dolllars a night.

Senior Passes for those 62 and better provide free access to the park and reduced fees for federal camp fees and many other federal admissions.

There is a fantastic variety of stuff to see, places to eat and many boat rides to take. And, on one of our trips to Maine in1989, we went to Old Town, ME for a tour of the Old Town canoe factory. We bought a canoe there and enjoyed our first ride on a lake called Long Pond.

I hope I didn't put you to sleep!

1992 T-2251 - Our first Sunline
2007 T-2553 - Our second Sunline
2008 Chevrolet Silverado LT
Ham Radio Op is offline   Reply With Quote