Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
Sunline RV Forum
Sunline User Photos

Go Back   Sunline Coach Owner's Club > Travel Forums > Trips & Vacations
Click Here to Login

Join Sunline Club Forums Today

Old 11-21-2011, 10:25 AM   #1
Moderator Emeritus

SUN #17
kanyonkitty is an unknown quantity at this point
Going Stir Crazy

Yep, I'm going stir crazy being stuck at home. Sunny "might" be calling me. Gary is itching to go somewhere. Now, the issues, I have chemo treatment tomorrow, "might" find out this evening "if" Gary is off work on friday. If he is off that gives us a 4 day weekend.

Many of you know that for years mom & I always went down to Pigeon Forge/Gaitlinburg, TN for the long weekend. It is about 400 miles one way. We went down there last year and the traffic was just plain horrendous. That caused us to miss going to some places I wanted to take Gary so he could see them. NEVER ( since 1996) have I ever experienced the volume of traffic that we did last year.

I've never really traveled down the I-95 corridor to anywhere except Florida. Is/are there any places that might be interesting going that route.. I'd like to limit our drive time to about 4 - 5 hours max. Williamsburg, VA will be WAY too crowded. Living about 1 hour west of DC has made me travel I-81 down thru Virginia most of the time to Pigeon Forge area, so much to see & do down there. "If he gets friday off, never know just might head towards Pigeon Forge anyway, or he might just end up working on the VW Jetta taking the auto tranny out & replacing it with the 6 speed tranny that just arrived 10 minutes ago.

Kitty

Sunny #18 2003 F-344SR #8157
Sunny #19 1997 T-2653 #5485
1999 Ford F350XLT DRW Crew Cab, Long bed 7.3 PSD
2002 VW Jetta TDI.. AKA: Kitty's Kruiser
kanyonkitty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-21-2011, 10:50 AM   #2

SUN #96
rebellious78
Kitty....I know how you feel! We been wanting to take Sunny out, but we been to busy. It makes me mad knowing the weather has been actually somewhat nice and we are missing these chances to go. Our next chance is not until December 2. So we will see what comes along. Until then...I keep looking out my window and see Sunny sitting there. Waiting.

If you get the chance...GO! Enjoy yourself. Even if you stay somewhat local.

David & Mary Ann
2018 Ford F350 Dually 6.7L Powerstroke
2006 Sunline Solaris T-264-SR
2012 Palomino Bronco B1500LB
rebellious78 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-21-2011, 12:38 PM   #3

SUN #128
Tweety
We always think the traffic on I95 is heavier than on I81, so I wouldn't trade 81 for 95. I have to tell you a little story Kitty...I dropped Steve off at exit 141 of I81 to go hiking with our kids, then Tweety & I continued on to Claytor Lake St. Pk. YOU are the reason I was willing to try it on my own! I thought "well...Kitty does it, I'll give it a try". All went well until I tried to back into a site. Let's just say we're in a pull through this year LOL! Then I went to hook up the water and hit a glitch with all the gizmos Steve has on the hoses. Conquered that by removing them all. Thought about unhooking the truck, but everything was so nice and level I thought the heck with it. This experience has taught me how incompetent I really am, and how important it is for women to know how to do all this stuff!
2012 Arctic Fox 30U, SUNLINES - 2006 2753 "Tweety", 2007 QUE "QUEtSE", 2364, 1660
Tweety is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-21-2011, 01:15 PM   #4
Moderator Emeritus

SUN #17
kanyonkitty is an unknown quantity at this point
Pam,

Thanks for the I-95 info.

Congrats for "Going Solo "

Like I always say, never know when you might be in a position that you need to drive/park/hitch/un-hitch the rig.

As for backing up, especially when your by yourself, I try to always get a site that is on the "utilities side" of Sunny. Then when I approach the site I can size things up, and plan my attack. By being able to see the utilities side of the site, it's much easier (at least for me) because if I am staying close to the utilities that pretty much means the other side of Sunny is good to go. As I approach the site, I do scope out the door side of the site and the front corner to make sure everything looks ok, but so far this method has worked for me. Now backing into a door side site alone is quite different in my opinion because you don't have the benefit of the utilities as a guide. When doing this solo, I would often set one or two items in the site on the door side to let me know where the side of Sunny was and where I wanted it to end up.
Sunny #18 2003 F-344SR #8157
Sunny #19 1997 T-2653 #5485
1999 Ford F350XLT DRW Crew Cab, Long bed 7.3 PSD
2002 VW Jetta TDI.. AKA: Kitty's Kruiser
kanyonkitty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-21-2011, 07:04 PM   #5

SUN #89
JohnB is on a distinguished road
Kitty

Hope you can get out. The camper is very therapeutic.....

I just came in from moving Sunny from the parking pad onto the concrete and plugged the fridge in. Suppose to rain on Tuesday and wanted to not have to fiddle in the yard at night in the rain, so I'm a day early. This year is different for Thanksgiving. Daughter, SIL and the Grand kids are going to SIL's family for turkey day. Our son and his new wife invited us over for dinner. The State Park we are going to is a whopping 10 minutes from his house... Less then a mile as the crow flies. So we will go setup at camp on Thursday then go over for Thanksgiving and come back to the camper for the rest of the weekend.

Tweety, good for you. Go girl go! The Hose thing, LOL yes "us" types do get into those things... LOL. You made it past the hard part, towing the camper down there. The rest, relax your camping. So it takes a little longer.

And yes backing in with the power post on the drivers side is easier. It is naturally easier to back in on that side. You can see right away quicker. We go in at night many times and when I have to back in on my blind side (door side) thank goodness I have Cindy to spot me. I have her hold the flashlight at the pad and the trailer tire so I can see what and where in the world I'm at. Backing in on the blind side is for sure just that. Your blind to the back of the camper until the truck swings around. After you get use to the turning radius of the truck and the camper it does get easier but still harder then the drivers side backing in day or night time.

Hope you too get out.

Happy camping and take Pic's!

John

Google Custom Search For Sunline Owners Club
JohnB is online now   Reply With Quote