Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
Sunline RV Forum
Sunline User Photos

Go Back   Sunline Coach Owner's Club > Travel Forums > Trips & Vacations
Click Here to Login

Join Sunline Club Forums Today

Old 01-12-2017, 07:44 PM   #1

SUN #8893
Thomascine is an unknown quantity at this point
Campground Reservations

Hello all,

How far in advance do we need to reserve space at campgrounds? I am not even sure if we will have our TT ready but I would like to go at least once or twice this year if the weather cooperates to allow us to get some repairs done.

Thanks,
Tommie

Old 01-13-2017, 12:34 PM   #2

SUN #4040
jim44646 is an unknown quantity at this point
Now that's an open ended question. Sometimes you don't need a reservation, sometimes 6 months. Depends on popularity of campground, full hookup or not, Holiday or not

Sent from my XT1254 using Tapatalk

Firestone Transforce AT tires
Reese Dual Cam Sway Control
jim44646 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2017, 01:32 PM   #3

SUN #264
Steve Collins is an unknown quantity at this point
Quote:
Originally Posted by Thomascine View Post
Hello all,

How far in advance do we need to reserve space at campgrounds? I am not even sure if we will have our TT ready but I would like to go at least once or twice this year if the weather cooperates to allow us to get some repairs done.

Thanks,
Tommie
In New York, if you want a good site in one of the state run campgrounds, you need to reserve 9 months prior to your planned arrival date. In the more popular campgrounds, sites are gone seconds after reservations start at 9 am every day.

Private campgrounds vary up here, but the further out you can reserve, the better off you'll be.

'12 F250 4x4 Super Duty PowerStroke 6.7 diesel
2011 to present: '11 Cougar 326MKS
1999 to 2011: '99 Sunline T-2453
SUN264 * Amateur Radio kd2iat monitoring 146.52
Steve Collins is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2017, 07:40 PM   #4

SUN #7632
BCS Guy is an unknown quantity at this point
We got great by seconds on a strike we wanted this year, what to plan b.
Old 01-14-2017, 10:00 AM   #5

SUN #89
JohnB is on a distinguished road
Yes, this "all depends"...

Here in Ohio, the state parks with campsites seem to be weekend warrior campgrounds. We have found for an Ohio SP site (non water view) being 3 weeks to 1 month out still allows us lots of time to get good sites. If we get to 2 weeks or 1 week, there are still sites, but more of the left overs. But, these are "not with a water view" sites.

On a Friday/Saturday night or a holiday:
If we want a specific site with a waterfront view or other primo we like sites.... we need to be "Johnny on the spot" and be logged in just waiting for the time limit to start the reservation and then even, have a few back up sites. I have been bumped out by a few seconds some times. OH is 6 month time limit until you can reserve.

Non weekend times
That said, many of same waterfront sites sit wide open empty, Sunday night to Friday morning. The parks fill up on the weekend and mostly empty during week. Spring and fall are off times too. Summer after the kids are out of school, the parks do get more use even during the week. And this also depends on the exact park. There are a few that are popular.

That said, this also depends on the size of camper. When we had our smaller Sunline or the Popup, I could put those campers in most any site. Our current one, I have to be more selective (too long for some). Your smaller camper will allow you to go into most any site in a state park that a tent will fit in.

When we go into the Adirondacks or Catskill mountains of NY on waterfront sites.... it does not matter much what day of the week.. during summer season, if you want "that site" you need to grab it as soon as the time limit flips. NY has a 9 month reserve list. Early in the season and late, the problem is not so bad. But, even these campgrounds, non waterfront sites are more available most times. Depends on the park.

What we do is "web search" for a new park we have never been to before or if it is too far away. Google Earth or Bing bird's eye view etc shows a lot on how the campground is arranged. And some campgrounds have pictures online of the sites. It is easier that way making a "blind" reservations to a new park. For parks that we can drive to within reason, we have just drive over and checked it out. Write down a good qty of sites you like, then make reservations later. Once we camp there, then we rate all the sites on the camp map. After enough years you know which parks you like and which sites.

It has been often I would say to Cindy, which direction you want to go camping this weekend? North, south, east or west and then find a site at the state park 3 weeks out and I was good. But it took a few years to know the campgrounds that well.

Like anything, once you get use to this, there a lot of options, you just may need to pick a different park sometimes.

John

Google Custom Search For Sunline Owners Club
JohnB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2017, 11:15 AM   #6

SUN #8893
Thanks for all of the responses.

It looks like we may be a little behind but that is okay. We may make our first try at Lake Anna. We only live about an hour and a half away. One of my co-workers went camping there about a month or so ago with her son and said it was pretty nice. LOL...I have not mastered backing the trailer up so I would need somewhere that allows you to pull in.

Thanks again.
Tommie
Old 01-14-2017, 05:27 PM   #7

SUN #4040
jim44646 is an unknown quantity at this point
Quote:
Originally Posted by Thomascine View Post
Thanks for all of the responses.

LOL...I have not mastered backing the trailer up so I would need somewhere that allows you to pull in.

Thanks again.
Tommie
i found it a help when teaching people to back a trailer is to find an empty parking lot. Maybe on a Sunday or a part of the lot not being used. thin practice backing into parking spaces.
When backing a trailer using mirrors grab the bottom of steering wheel and move your hand towards the mirror of the direction you want your trailer to go.
Firestone Transforce AT tires
Reese Dual Cam Sway Control
jim44646 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2017, 11:50 AM   #8

SUN #128
Tweety
I think the only Virginia state park that's open for camping at this time of year is Shenandoah River.
2012 Arctic Fox 30U, SUNLINES - 2006 2753 "Tweety", 2007 QUE "QUEtSE", 2364, 1660
Tweety is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2017, 05:22 PM   #9

SUN #8893
Thanks to all for the replies.

jim44646 - I read about that method on the Internet. I tried but my brain and my hands would not cooperate. Luckily there is an old vacant KMart building that is only about 5-10 minutes from us. I plan to go there to practice when the weather warms up.

Tweety - We were going to try Lake Anna in the Spring or at least we were going to before I pulled the front of the camper apart and realized how much repair was needed. We will have to wait and see.

Have a great evening.
Tommie
Old 01-16-2017, 07:31 PM   #10

SUN #4035
O Canada is an unknown quantity at this point
Camping reservations

Hi everyone. Thought I would provide the following info to any of you thinking of heading into Canada this summer. 2017 is the 150th anniversary of our country. As part of that celebration, entrance to all the national parks is free this year to all visitors. Normal nightly camping fees still apply.
Reservations are a great idea, especially in the popular areas, Banff, Jasper. I have already booked June and July weeks. Smaller trailers and fewer services make a big difference in availability. Safe travels!