Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
Sunline RV Forum
Sunline User Photos

Go Back   Sunline Coach Owner's Club > Travel Forums > Trips & Vacations
Click Here to Login

Join Sunline Club Forums Today

Old 10-21-2017, 09:16 PM   #41

SUN #89
JohnB is on a distinguished road
Hi Dig,

Glad the HW heater and all the rest of the appliances are working!! Yeh!!!

Yes, command strips are great in the camper. We us a lot of them and can take them down as needed with no harm to the wall board. I have not yet tried them outside the camper. Are they a special one made for outside? I did not know they had them.

Thanks

John

Google Custom Search For Sunline Owners Club
JohnB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-22-2017, 02:02 AM   #42

SUN #9763
Digmenow is an unknown quantity at this point
The Command hangers that I used for the coffee station clock is just a regular clip that I stuck outside. Seems to be holding up well, even with heavy condensation.

2004 Solaris 280SR
Previously: 2003 Solaris Lite T-1950
"The Land of Pleasant Living!"
Digmenow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-22-2017, 05:21 PM   #43

SUN #9763
We're back! All in all, not a bad first outing. Perfect weather all weekend.
Sunny and mid 70's during the day and mid 50's at night.

Several missteps as outlined in this thread, already. To add to those, I cracked the passenger side mirror on the TV on the way home when I closed the door for SWMBO and the suction tow mirror whacked me on the shoulder.

The Silverado is wholly unsuited for the task as tow vehicle. Looking to upgrade in that department before the first outing in the spring.

It looks like I will be removing and reinstalling the black water sprayer since it leaked when I used it at the c.g.

I will be installing the underslung fence post sewer hose housing asap.

I'd really like to get past the Christmas lights. They light up the area very well but take too much time and fiddling putting them up and taking them down, especially if a spot of weather pops up and the awning needs to be stowed quickly. I'd like to have something more permanent that provides the same excellent area lighting, regardless of the deployment of the awning.

I still need to better organize the two baggage compartments so that there's a place for everything and everything goes in its place. Too much tossing things wherever they'd fit for my taste.

I really need to find a bathroom doorknob WITHOUT a lock! Every time the camper goes down the road, the lock rotates and I have to use my plastic car interior tools to wedge in and pop the lock. We haven't locked the bathroom door in over a decade so its a pointless nuisance, now.

I brought along the printed pages for the manuals and got my three ring camper binder started along with the mileage log.

Did I mention that when we got home, we discovered that we had left the front door to the house wide open! Lots of deliveries and mail arrived but no one opened the storm door and walked inside. SMH.

A lot was learned this past weekend.

2004 Solaris 280SR
Old 10-22-2017, 05:47 PM   #44

SUN #2366
j52wf is an unknown quantity at this point
For lighting, I started using rope lights laid out on the ground around the outdoor rug. For the reason you mentioned.
Old 10-22-2017, 05:47 PM   #45

SUN #89
JohnB is on a distinguished road
Glad you made it back home safe and sound and the campout was a success!

The learning never stops, but it does slow down. And you can only re-organize the storage compartments only so many times.... As history has shown, the re-org is about 3 times. And it may take a year or more before you get it "just right".

Spring will come fast!

John

Google Custom Search For Sunline Owners Club
JohnB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-22-2017, 06:05 PM   #46

SUN #1830
Jim-Bev-2363 is an unknown quantity at this point
What was wrong with the Silverado TV? Should have done pretty good.

I use a strap on mirror set. Some say they damage the door paint but I try to keep straps tight and so far not damage.

Looks like a nice setup at the CG. Lights can be a pain. that is why I only use outside lights on the TT. Any extra lights are inside lamps used outside plugged into outside 110V sockets.

Lighting water heater seems to take a long time to get gas because our water heater is at the extreme rear of TT. I bleed the line most of the time before trying to light it.

I have leveling blocks, water hose and electrical adapters in the most rear storage hole. That way when hooking up it is all at hand. First thing by hatch door is my campground polarity checker and voltage checker. I always check power sources, even if I have stayed there before. I figure better safe than sorry.

Closer to the front of the TT the storage compartment is for tow vehicle hitch items. Leveling bars and pull bar, sway bars, hitch ball lube, extra flashlight in case more problems at night. Also extra 25 foot drinking water hose and extra electric power cord that wasn't included in the rear hatch.

Rear bumper hose carrier is not used for anything. Sewer hose is in carrier in front of axles and I do carry two hoses. I do not use a hose rack because my connection is so low and it would be rising most of the time and the hose holding liquid anyway. I do have a bicycle innertube filled with heavy steel chain that I place over hose end and CG connection to hold hose in place. Because my tank connections are so low, close to the ground, that is the best reason for the axle flip. But I have only had to swing extra wide in a few driveways.

Good you enjoyed your trip and look forward to many more.
Jim-Bev-2363 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-23-2017, 07:16 AM   #47

SUN #123
Sunline Fan is an unknown quantity at this point
Quote:
Originally Posted by JohnB View Post
Hi Dig,

Your camper looks great in the CG!

First and foremost, have fun. Don't sweat the HW heater, the elements are not that expensive. (I think less the $20 out of Home Depot, Lowes or Menard's). It happens and has happened to others. A trick that has been learned, when the HW is drained, always turn off the dedicated 15 amp breaker for the HW heater. This way an accidental flip of the wall switch on does not toast the element. I know in this case you did not realize the bypass valve may not have been in normal mode, but you are past that now. You can fix it at home. If the gas will not light up, let us know, we can give some pointers.

On your Sunline sighting, that looks like a 2002 to 2003 T-260SR. The decals fit the 2002 - 2003 but I'm thinking a 2002 as it has black window trim, they went to white in 2003 and the gold top stripe. H'mm, but the gold strip was a 2003 thing. Maybe a real early build 2003. Rear bath, mid kitchen, front bedroom, 2 doors and the super slide and still had the range hood vent to the outside. A popular floor plan. If that is it, the next generation turned in the T-264SR in 2004.

Your doing great!!! You and the family have a great time.

Thanks

John
Yes, 2002 T-260SR. The other giveaway is the external rock guard. The upper gold stripe did start in 2002.
2007 T-286SR Cherry/Granola, #6236, original owner, current mileage: 9473.8 (as of 6/18/21)
1997 T-2653 Blue Denim, #5471
1979 12 1/2' MC, Beige & Avocado, #4639
Past Sunlines: '97 T-2653 #5089, '94 T-2251, '86 T-1550, '94 T-2363, '98 T-270SR
Sunline Fan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-23-2017, 01:18 PM   #48

SUN #9763
Quote:
Originally Posted by j52wf View Post
For lighting, I started using rope lights laid out on the ground around the outdoor rug. For the reason you mentioned.
I gave that some consideration as I have seen that done in the past but I would like to have overhead illumination. Also, the morning dew was so heavy that by the time it burned off, the gravelly sand was clinging to everything and making a sandy/muddy mess. By the second night, there wouldn't have been much light showing through.
Quote:
Originally Posted by JohnB View Post
Glad you made it back home safe and sound and the campout was a success!

Spring will come fast!

John
Thanks! Spring might be coming a bit TOO fast. See below.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jim-Bev-2363 View Post
What was wrong with the Silverado TV? Should have done pretty good.

I use a strap on mirror set. Some say they damage the door paint but I try to keep straps tight and so far not damage.

Looks like a nice setup at the CG. Lights can be a pain. that is why I only use outside lights on the TT. Any extra lights are inside lamps used outside plugged into outside 110V sockets.

Lighting water heater seems to take a long time to get gas because our water heater is at the extreme rear of TT. I bleed the line most of the time before trying to light it.

I have leveling blocks, water hose and electrical adapters in the most rear storage hole. That way when hooking up it is all at hand. First thing by hatch door is my campground polarity checker and voltage checker. I always check power sources, even if I have stayed there before. I figure better safe than sorry.

Closer to the front of the TT the storage compartment is for tow vehicle hitch items. Leveling bars and pull bar, sway bars, hitch ball lube, extra flashlight in case more problems at night. Also extra 25 foot drinking water hose and extra electric power cord that wasn't included in the rear hatch.

Rear bumper hose carrier is not used for anything. Sewer hose is in carrier in front of axles and I do carry two hoses. I do not use a hose rack because my connection is so low and it would be rising most of the time and the hose holding liquid anyway. I do have a bicycle innertube filled with heavy steel chain that I place over hose end and CG connection to hold hose in place. Because my tank connections are so low, close to the ground, that is the best reason for the axle flip. But I have only had to swing extra wide in a few driveways.

Good you enjoyed your trip and look forward to many more.
Thanks, I will incorporate your suggestions into my planning! As to the Silverado, I just got confirmation from 3 other parties confirming my suspicion of a rod knocking in the engine after the trip. Also broke a motor mount and there's the whole AC compressor issue to deal with. It's a '94 with 182000 miles. I think its time with me is over.

2004 Solaris 280SR
Old 10-24-2017, 09:13 PM   #49

SUN #4050
Wannabes is an unknown quantity at this point
Dig,

Yay on an overall successful camping weekend, the best kind!

A suggestion (disguised as a gripe) about outdoor lighting: Whatever lighting you decide on, please consider your neighboring campers. About two years ago we were camping in a state park - think woodsy & back-to-nature... except for our neighbor with the halogen light that lit up the whole end of the campground, I kid you not, all night long! If we want that kind of light, we’ll just camp on the runway at BWI. Which is what it might come to given that lately the RV manufacturers seem to be going overboard with the outside LED lights. We use solar lights which, granted, are not overly bright and/or a nice fire when we sit outside at night & turn everything off at bedtime. (Okay, down off the soapbox. )

Even tho’ our F-150 came with the tow package, it had regular sideview mirrors so, when we got our 2363, we got detachable tow mirrors. In two years time, we broke three. One fell off; one was clipped by a roadwork crane in a construction zone; and, one was hit while parked street-side. The third time the detachable mirror not only busted off but it also took the sideview mirror with it. We were able to replace both sideviews with the Ford tow mirrors for less than what the original sideviews cost. We love the permanent tow mirrors! If/Since you’re going to replace your Silverado, look for a TV with permanent tow mirrors - it’s worth it!

Matthew and Lisa
TT: '02 T-2363;
TV: 2012 Ford F-150, 4x4/Off-road, 5.0L V8, "Big Gray"
Reese Straitline w/ dual cam
Wannabes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-25-2017, 06:24 AM   #50

SUN #123
Sunline Fan is an unknown quantity at this point
Quote:
Originally Posted by Wannabes View Post
Dig,

A suggestion (disguised as a gripe) about outdoor lighting: Whatever lighting you decide on, please consider your neighboring campers. About two years ago we were camping in a state park - think woodsy & back-to-nature... except for our neighbor with the halogen light that lit up the whole end of the campground, I kid you not, all night long! If we want that kind of light, we’ll just camp on the runway at BWI. Which is what it might come to given that lately the RV manufacturers seem to be going overboard with the outside LED lights. We use solar lights which, granted, are not overly bright and/or a nice fire when we sit outside at night & turn everything off at bedtime. (Okay, down off the soapbox. )
I imagine my neighbors aren't too pleased with my four fluorescent bulbs lit up on my Sunline sign! I don't keep it lit up all night though, just run it for a few hours.

I did see a new fifth wheel on my way to work yesterday morning that had huge blue LED strips nearly vertical on the front cap, almost all the way from top to bottom. I thought it looked really good, but looking at them on the highway in passing is different than having to sleep next to them!
2007 T-286SR Cherry/Granola, #6236, original owner, current mileage: 9473.8 (as of 6/18/21)
1997 T-2653 Blue Denim, #5471
1979 12 1/2' MC, Beige & Avocado, #4639
Past Sunlines: '97 T-2653 #5089, '94 T-2251, '86 T-1550, '94 T-2363, '98 T-270SR
Sunline Fan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-25-2017, 08:24 AM   #51

SUN #4050
Wannabes is an unknown quantity at this point
Quote:
I imagine my neighbors aren't too pleased with my four fluorescent bulbs lit up on my Sunline sign!
Oh no, Jon, a Sunline sign is totally different!

Matthew and Lisa
TT: '02 T-2363;
TV: 2012 Ford F-150, 4x4/Off-road, 5.0L V8, "Big Gray"
Reese Straitline w/ dual cam
Wannabes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-25-2017, 10:51 AM   #52

SUN #1830
Jim-Bev-2363 is an unknown quantity at this point
Dig, Good luck finding that new TV. Sounds like time to bury that one.
Jim-Bev-2363 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-26-2017, 08:22 AM   #53

SUN #9763
Quote:
Originally Posted by Wannabes View Post
Dig,

Even tho’ our F-150 came with the tow package, it had regular sideview mirrors so, when we got our 2363, we got detachable tow mirrors. In two years time, we broke three. One fell off; one was clipped by a roadwork crane in a construction zone; and, one was hit while parked street-side. The third time the detachable mirror not only busted off but it also took the sideview mirror with it. We were able to replace both sideviews with the Ford tow mirrors for less than what the original sideviews cost. We love the permanent tow mirrors! If/Since you’re going to replace your Silverado, look for a TV with permanent tow mirrors - it’s worth it!
Thanks!

The lights are pretty contained within the awning but I make sure that I turn off them before turning in.

And there WILL be perm tow mirrors. I almost bought a set for the Silverado but I had my suspicions that I would be throwing money away on them so I used the suction lollipops that someone gave me.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sunline Fan View Post
I imagine my neighbors aren't too pleased with my four fluorescent bulbs lit up on my Sunline sign! I don't keep it lit up all night though, just run it for a few hours.

I did see a new fifth wheel on my way to work yesterday morning that had huge blue LED strips nearly vertical on the front cap, almost all the way from top to bottom. I thought it looked really good, but looking at them on the highway in passing is different than having to sleep next to them!
The S-I-L has an Aero lite TT with blue leds lining the nose, making a very dramatic Vee. He turns it off when quiet time arrives.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jim-Bev-2363 View Post
Dig, Good luck finding that new TV. Sounds like time to bury that one.
Amen, rust in peace.

2004 Solaris 280SR
Old 10-30-2017, 11:54 AM   #54

SUN #2437
RayKruse is an unknown quantity at this point
Hope you had a great trip to Massey's Landing! we visit there at least once a year.

We use the Rhino hose and just put it in the rear bumper. Yeah, it's a tight fit but also doesn't "pop-out" the rubber bumper caps like our last hose did.

We put the 90' adapter in a Ziploc (after washing) and then in the side external storage area.

We live in MD and camp all over MD,PA,NJ and DE and have bought extensions for every connection over time. A lot easier than moving the trailer afterwards and allows you to park in the best/level area on your site.

Enjoy!
Old 10-31-2017, 06:28 PM   #55

SUN #9763
Quote:
Originally Posted by RayKruse View Post
Hope you had a great trip to Massey's Landing! we visit there at least once a year.

We use the Rhino hose and just put it in the rear bumper. Yeah, it's a tight fit but also doesn't "pop-out" the rubber bumper caps like our last hose did.

We put the 90' adapter in a Ziploc (after washing) and then in the side external storage area.

We live in MD and camp all over MD,PA,NJ and DE and have bought extensions for every connection over time. A lot easier than moving the trailer afterwards and allows you to park in the best/level area on your site.

Enjoy!
Welcome to the forum, Ray and thanks for the advice. I sure need it.

I just realized that throughout this thread, I neglected to discuss the resort itself.

Check in was a breeze since it was a Thursday afternoon. I heard that it was a different story on Friday but I didn't take the time to go look at the line of campers in the arrival parking lot. You can check in after 2 PM and we were there, IIRC around 3-ish. They have multiple staffers on hand at separate booths to check you in. We were given a veterans discount since my S-I-L was in the Coast Guard, so that was nice. I believe we paid around $50 per night.

On the advice of the staff, we rented a golf cart and were glad that we did since they were soon sold out and were the best way to get around the CG. Two of our group drove it down to the tiki bar to spend a little time at the beach and when they went back, the cart was gone. It seems they are all keyed alike and a family of teenagers took ours by mistake. We got it back without too much fuss but the golf cart usage was a bit out of control with too young drivers and more powerful, non-resort 4 wheelers zipping past children and other pedestrians.

We stayed near one of the bathhouses and used it for showering and heavy duty doody. There were several times that they were not clean and stocked with paper products but a phone call to the office (the number is posted on the wall) got housekeeping out there pronto.

Parking the TV was a bit confusing. The sites are clearly numbered as are the power posts but we all parked in what seemed to be the natural spot, only to be told by the gent in the safety vest driving the utility cart that we all needed to park one spot over which actually gave each site more space. Maybe next year they will number the parking spots as well.

Quiet time was 11 pm, I think but once I got inside the 1950 and my head hit the pillow, I never heard a thing. Waking up at 3 or 4 am as I seem to more frequently and going outside to make the coffee was pleasant as most everyone had turned out the lights. The stars were bright. Only a few dogs barked as they heard me puttering around.

The camp store was adequately yet sparsely stocked (end of the season, I guess) but the prices were better than most other camp stores that I have experienced. The nearest WalMart is about 30 minutes away and there's not much fast food for several miles but there are several pizza joints and they deliver in case you needed a food fix.

The metal fire rings were relocatable so we were able to set one in a spot that was convenient for all three families for the morning and evening campfires. Being a beachy resort with no trees, there was zero kindling about so you need to bring your own twigs (state laws notwithstanding) or other fire starters. The CG firewood was wet and smoky so we went down the road a bit and bought some better wood from a farm stand at better prices.

The golf cart parade was a fun event for the kids with a Halloween theme.

Trash pickup was a nice touch. If you put your trashbag(s) by the street, they would come around and pick them up in one of the utility carts so we never even made a run to the dumpster.

The ground consisted of dark sand and with the heavy condensation that we experienced early each morning, it turned into a sandy muddy mix that clung to your shoes and managed to get tracked into the camper no matter how much you wiped your feet and took your shoes off at the door. Houseflies managed to get inside as well, no matter how quickly you got in and closed the door.

Checkout was 11:30 AM and we went out about ten minutes past that with no apparent consequences. If you like the 'trailer park' experience, that's what you'll get at Massey's landing. If you want trees and seclusion, look elsewhere. If you travel as a group, I'd suggest splitting the families up on two streets so that the back of each lot will adjoin the back of the other lot rather than having them all lined up in a row. We'll do that next year.

We enjoyed it.

2004 Solaris 280SR
Old 05-07-2018, 08:32 PM   #56

SUN #9763
Just a quick followup, the underslung sewer hose compartment has been installed. More here.

2004 Solaris 280SR