Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
Sunline RV Forum
Sunline User Photos

Go Back   Sunline Coach Owner's Club > Campground Reviews from a Sunline Owner's Perspective > General Campground Discussions
Click Here to Login

Join Sunline Club Forums Today

Old 12-05-2012, 06:54 AM   #1

SUN #3259
Mellow Yellow is an unknown quantity at this point
Thousand Islands

We're considering a trip to Thousand Islands in 2013. I have found some threads, but most are older so I'd love current info.

Some questions are 1. Which park do you recommend and a little about it... good sites, hook-ups or not, can you see the river (we really want to watch the big ships and that is a key point). Association Island and Grasse Point look great.

Off season? How early is too early for Thousand Islands. Late May - early June OK?

Which towns and touristy things are a "must see". We would like to see as much as possible in a short time.

Motels? We may possibly go with non-camping friends. I read about a nice family-owned motel in Clayton called Westwinds with very good reviews. That is a possibility if we cannot camp. Any personal info on it or others?

We've got months to plan so I'd love input whenever anyone has time!

THANKS !!

2001 Sunline Solaris T-250 SR

Mellow Yellow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-2012, 08:59 AM   #2

SUN #93
Poppy & Nana is an unknown quantity at this point
Well Tom and Debbie, I can tell you that campgrounds fill up pretty fast up there....I made our reservations for August and was already limited to sites.

We happen to love Grass Point, it is a small campground and we settle in on the non-electric sites.....best views....Leo loves site 12 - can't see the ships go by too well from there, but sites 14, 16, 17, 18, 38 & 39 are great for viewing the water AND they are kinda tucked away from the main stream of traffic......

We have taken the Uncle Sam Boyd Castle tour a number of years, it is nice to go back and see what has been done from year to year.

We also visit the two local wineries (Thousand Island (A-Bay) an Coyote Moon (Clayton?).....We go in August and Leo is a sucker for parades and we go to A=Bay to see the Pirate Parade.....very small and it is fun to watch the kids dive on the street for the candy!

We pretty much stick close to the campground, ride our bikes and when the river is acceptable we will kayak....but it must be smooth otherwise the current will pull you all the way down to the 1000 Bridge.....

Can't tell you when the best time to go...but remember it is a seasonal tourist town and if it is anything like Old Forge there is no "action" until July!

Kathy

We loved our 2007 T-2499
2010 Ford F-350 4x4 Lariat Super Crew Dually Diesel
Poppy & Nana is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-2012, 02:57 PM   #3

SUN #3259
Thanks Kathy! Looks very nice !! Some of the sites you mention are in brown on the map and "unavailable online". I cannot seem to find a mention of how you book those.

We really don't need to be there when it is super busy, but don't want to encounter buggy conditions, or no tours operating, etc. if we arrive too early, either. Thinking late May - June.

Old 12-05-2012, 03:08 PM   #4

SUN #93
Poppy & Nana is an unknown quantity at this point
Late May - June may be black fly season up there...just saying! And I don't know if tours and such are running then.....brown on the map indicate they are not available that time.........are you looking at Reserve America????

OK I just looked at the site - the campground does not open until May 16th....

Just checks Uncle Sam Tours and they open around mid-May and Boldt Castle opens mid-April.....so maybe more will be open that early in the season!
We loved our 2007 T-2499
2010 Ford F-350 4x4 Lariat Super Crew Dually Diesel
Poppy & Nana is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-2012, 03:19 PM   #5

SUN #3259
Yes, Reserve America. Will have to consider this. Would love to go later, but we already have a bunch of reservations for other places in July and Aug. and, of course we'll want to go to the Adirondack meet and greet in Sept.

Old 12-05-2012, 04:53 PM   #6

SUN #67
264SRinPA
The best campground for watching the ships go by would be Cedar Point. They have a row of sites that over look the river.
Sunlines= '06-2075, '06-264SR
264SRinPA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-16-2012, 05:19 PM   #7

SUN #256
Bobo
Mellow,

Amy and I absolutly love Cedar Point SP. We camp there every year. The front row along the river have 30 amp service, tank your own water. Plenty of spigots around and restroom facilities in the middle of the loop. The next two rows back from the river are full hookups. Bring a water pressure regulator. It blew the soft plug out of the water heater last time we were on that row.

It is between Clayton and Cape Vincent. Close enough to get to the tourist attractions but far enough away from the crowds. Close to ferry to Canada.

We are booked into site 9 from June 8 - 22. The two week max stay for a state park. Waterfront, for only $403.00.

I did a review on this park. Still stands highly recommended.

Bobo

2001 Coleman Utah
2006 Sunline T-2499
Bobo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-17-2012, 06:30 AM   #8

SUN #3259
Bobo, thank you very much! I read your review and other posts. It sounds wonderful. I am not 100% sure we can make it this year, plans are not coming together and I know the sites are being reserved each day.

If we do go, I will be sure to ask any specific questions. Thanks again !!