Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
Sunline RV Forum
Sunline User Photos

Go Back   Sunline Coach Owner's Club > Campground Reviews from a Sunline Owner's Perspective > General Campground Discussions
Click Here to Login

Join Sunline Club Forums Today

Old 09-28-2012, 02:35 PM   #1

SUN #3259
Mellow Yellow is an unknown quantity at this point
Finger Lakes and/or Cortland -Utica areas

We've put the Sunline up for the year . So sad and already making plans for the next year. Thinking about Buttonwood again. "If" we can attend, we'd like to camp one night on the way down and another night on the way back. Avoiding Rt. 88 as it was so very rough. While we loved our choices for last year, we're looking for new campgrounds. First night we'd like to go out Interstate 90 and stay at a Finger Lakes campground. On way back we would like to venture up Rt. 81 (is it a good road, not rough like 88?)and stay one night in the Cortland area or Utica/Cazenovia - west of Syracuse for sure.

Suggestions welcome ! Thanks !

Deb and Tom

2001 Sunline Solaris T-250 SR

Mellow Yellow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-28-2012, 03:09 PM   #2

SUN #1591
GKLarson is an unknown quantity at this point
I travel I-81 fairly frequently. It's surface seems to be smooth enough but Scranton/Wilkes-Barre seems to be a perpetual construction zone. Also, on some of the big downhills in Whitney Point area state troopers are very vigilant so watch your speed. (Likely not an issue towing)

How far North on I-81 do you plan to drive & where are you crossing back into VT ?. Not too familiar w/ state campgrounds down that way & no experience w/ commercial ones but may still be able to recommend a campsite you'll enjoy if hookups aren't primary concern

Glen & Kathleen
06 4.7L Tundra
06 T-1950, our 6 months/yr traveling home
one of numerous canoes
GKLarson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-28-2012, 03:21 PM   #3

SUN #264
Steve Collins is an unknown quantity at this point
Keuka Lake State Park gets rave reviews from folks who have camped there. Western Finger Lakes wine trail is great.

We always liked Sampson State Park down on the east shore of Seneca Lake. Miles of old military base roads to ride your bikes on without many hills. Lots to see and do in the area. Seneca Lake wine trail is wonderful.

Up near the north end of Route 81 you will find Cedar Point State Park. Everybody seems to like it a lot. It's on my bucket list.

'12 F250 4x4 Super Duty PowerStroke 6.7 diesel
2011 to present: '11 Cougar 326MKS
1999 to 2011: '99 Sunline T-2453
SUN264 * Amateur Radio kd2iat monitoring 146.52
Steve Collins is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-29-2012, 06:20 AM   #4

SUN #3259
Mellow Yellow is an unknown quantity at this point
Quote:
Originally Posted by GKLarson View Post
I travel I-81 fairly frequently. It's surface seems to be smooth enough but Scranton/Wilkes-Barre seems to be a perpetual construction zone. Also, on some of the big downhills in Whitney Point area state troopers are very vigilant so watch your speed. (Likely not an issue towing)

How far North on I-81 do you plan to drive & where are you crossing back into VT ?. Not too familiar w/ state campgrounds down that way & no experience w/ commercial ones but may still be able to recommend a campsite you'll enjoy if hookups aren't primary concern
We're thinking of staying in the Cortland area on way back and getting on I-90 to head home. Even something near Utica or on Rt. 20 would be OK. If we had time, we do as Steve says below and go up to Cedar Point or one of the other campgrounds up that way. This past yr. went to Cooperstown, which we love, but Rt. 88 was just too rough-it's blacktop over an old cement section road, awful ! If anyone has alternate route to that area we'd like to hear of it as well.
2001 Sunline Solaris T-250 SR

Mellow Yellow is offline   Reply With Quote