Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
Sunline RV Forum
Sunline User Photos

Go Back   Sunline Coach Owner's Club > Campground Reviews from a Sunline Owner's Perspective > Mid-Eastern
Click Here to Login

Join Sunline Club Forums Today

Old 09-24-2010, 09:42 AM   #1

SUN #1508
quaddriver is an unknown quantity at this point
Send a message via AIM to quaddriver
Western Villiage RV Park - Carlisle PA

Western Villiage RV Park - Carlisle PA
Campground Information: See the rather expansive web site

Campground Web Site: Western Village RV Park - A Clean and Quiet Pennsylvania Family Campground

Campground Visit / Stay Information:
Date(s) of Visit/Stay: First weekend in august, last 3 years
Length of Visit/Stay: 4 nights
Site # / Type (PT or BkIn) / Hook-Ups (WES or WE or E or None):
This place has WE or WES on every site, except for the 'tent only' area

Site Amenities (Picnic Table (PT); Paved/Gravel/Grass; Pad; Cable; etc):
Picnic Table, fire ring, sites are some gravel with some grass.
Rate / night: See the website - quite reasonable I think for WES
Extra Charges / night (Pets, Children, A/C, etc): 50amp, visitors, and car show rates
First Visit or Return Visit: 3rd
Your Rating (1 Low – 5 High): 5

Campground Facilities Information:
Number & Type of Sites (PT / Back-In):See the website, 250 sites, both types + permis
Hook-Ups (# with WES / WE / E /None): WES/WE
Credit Cards Accepted (VISA, MC, Disc, None): Pay by cash or plastic
Discounts Accepted (Good Sam, KOA, other): None that I know of
Interior Roads (Paved/Gravel; Wide/Narrow; Good/Bad): All good graded gravel with speed bumps. you can get a tractor trailer down it with no sweat. BUT, some sites are kinda short - tell them how long you are overall. The popup I was using is 22ft popped and could not get a car in front of it longways...forget about the truck...
Level Sites (Yes/No; rating: 1 low – 3 high): 3
Wide/Open Sites (Yes/No; rating: 1 low – 3 high): 3
Restroom Cleanliness (1 low – 3 high): They have a toilet houses all over with showers and flushing toilets, all clean enough with 'fixers' on call each day. One caveat...the showers have bath mats that appear to be made from legos. On tender bare feet they hurt!
Store (Yes/No; rating: 1 low – 3 high): 3
Game Room (Yes/No; rating: 1 low – 3 high): 3
Pool (Yes/No; Heated/Not Heated; Clean, rating: 1 low – 3 high): yes

Campground Impressions:
Kid Friendly (Yes/No - Activities): yes, playgrounds for the kids and some wide open space, lots of activities
People Friendly (Yes/No): Yes -
WiFi Friendly (Yes/No; - Charge?/Service Provider?): wifi
Cell Phone Coverage (Yes/No - Service Provider?):excellent
Pet Friendly (Yes/No): yes.

Personal Comments:
This was my 3rd trip since hotels got too expensive around Carlisle.

Carlisle, is the home of the giant car show and swap meets many times a year. (www.carsatcarlisle.com) where the hotels double their already high rates during such. Plus the sellout rate.

Otherwise there is little reason to be in Carlisle unless you like looking at trucks (huge frieght depots)

If you attend the car shows or vend there, you likely know the place. If you are a member of any of the truck clubs that show up for the 'ATNs' then you likely know this site and perhaps me. Half of my club stays here.

For as close to Carlisle as you are, it really is nice and remote seeming, for only a few miles from I-81. Hence EVERYTHING you might require is a short drive and great prices.

Even on car show weekends, the price is right. I stay 4 nights for the price of one night at any halfway nice hotel so the economics are there.

Its a good campground, too bad it is not next to anything else the masses might like. But if you like to camp and dont mind an ok drive to hershey park, or gettysburg - its convenient.

when you get off the interstate to drive back and turn down a residential street, dont let the looks fool you .... this place really is a nice setting 'not in someones backyard'.

Not the most spaced out sites around, but good tree canopy and quiet.