Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
Sunline RV Forum
Sunline User Photos

Go Back   Sunline Coach Owner's Club > Campground Reviews from a Sunline Owner's Perspective > Mid-Eastern
Click Here to Login

Join Sunline Club Forums Today

Old 09-14-2010, 02:37 PM   #1

SUN #1508
quaddriver is an unknown quantity at this point
Send a message via AIM to quaddriver
Kelletville Campgound - Kelletville PA

This particular forum is SUCH a great idea...

Campground Information:
Campground Name: Kelletville Campground
Campground Address: Branch Road, Kelletville PA
Campground Phone #: 814 755 3512 (sort of)
Campground Web Site: http://www.lrp.usace.army.mil/rec/lakes/tionesta.htm (sort of)

Campground Visit / Stay Information:
Date(s) of Visit/Stay: 9/10/10 thru 9/12/10
Length of Visit/Stay: 2 nights
Site # / Type (PT or BkIn) / Hook-Ups (WES or WE or E or None):
All sites back in, no hookups of any type. There is unlimited potable water and a dumping station. You may get water and dump stuff if you are not camping by paying a $10 fee.
Site Amenities (Picnic Table (PT); Paved/Gravel/Grass; Pad; Cable; etc):
Picnic Table, fire ring, sites are gravel with some grass.
Rate / night: $10/night, 14 night max, 2 'camping units' but only one may be wheeled, hence the second must be a tent, 8 humans per site
Extra Charges / night (Pets, Children, A/C, etc): none
First Visit or Return Visit: 1st (sort of)
Your Rating (1 Low – 5 High): 5

Campground Facilities Information:
Number & Type of Sites (PT / Back-In):20 sites with tent only sites coming 2011. some are paved, but the paved sites are too short to level up a long trailer. All sites back in but are spaced out *a lot*
Hook-Ups (# with WES / WE / E /None): None
Credit Cards Accepted (VISA, MC, Disc, None): Pay by check, self registration, drop envelope.
Discounts Accepted (Good Sam, KOA, other): None
Interior Roads (Paved/Gravel; Wide/Narrow; Good/Bad): Entrance and first few sites paved, rest is gravel. you can get a tractor trailer down it with no sweat.
Level Sites (Yes/No; rating: 1 low – 3 high): 3
Wide/Open Sites (Yes/No; rating: 1 low – 3 high): 3
Restroom Cleanliness (1 low – 3 high): They have a toilet house with flushing toilets and water and outlets. Older, but clean. they are building/have built a new composting vault toilet (open in 2 weeks)
Store (Yes/No; rating: 1 low – 3 high): none
Game Room (Yes/No; rating: 1 low – 3 high): none
Pool (Yes/No; Heated/Not Heated; Clean, rating: 1 low – 3 high): You have the Tionesta river with a decent large swimming hole under the new bridge (this bridge is out of place, all bridges in PA must adhere to some standard and this connects Branch road to 'banjoville road' - very out of place!)

Campground Impressions:
Kid Friendly (Yes/No - Activities): there are no playgrounds or kids activities or monitors of any type. Young kids below fishing age may not like this.
People Friendly (Yes/No): Yes -
WiFi Friendly (Yes/No; - Charge?/Service Provider?): There aint no wifi, hifi or anyfi anywhere around. Prepare to be isolated.
Cell Phone Coverage (Yes/No - Service Provider?):Bwahahaha
Pet Friendly (Yes/No): guide dogs ok, non barking dogs ok. Leash laws apply.

Personal Comments:
I have lived near here for up to 45 years and never knew exactly what existed on this spot. The old bridge that used to be here was a great fishing place. If you fish, the Tionesta river is for you. Carp the size of busses, catfish the size of buicks, and bass that taunt you. This place sits at the confluence of forest road 147 and pa rt 666 (but its not evil.). If you go up the forest road (graded gravel, multi use) you can get to Marienville Pa and the ANF after a fashion. Beware of log trucks and resource trucks of some sort - there are oil and gas wells hidden all in this forest and you do not see them until you are on them. This campground is a middle point of a twice yearly ATV ride thru the ANF (called the 'Tour de Forest' - google that and Marienville) I have passed by this hundreds of times and only this summer actually drove back into the campground.

you dont see the 'guard shack' until halfway thru it, due to budget cutbacks it is no longer reliably manned. the flush toilet house is only open from after last frost to first frost, same for the potable water.

site 6 is the hot site - it abuts a gentle grade to the river.

of note: during spring melt or 'really bad summer storms', the tionesta turns to chocolate milk but does not threaten the campground. however, the 100 year flood (of which we had 4 in the 20th century) will get it.

there are 2 lights - a small cfl bulb outside the guard shack where the self registration is, and the spilled light from the toilet house. otherwise when the scare lights go off, you are about as in the dark as you will ever be. coyotes, bear, deer and everything furry abound, but campers rarely get eaten.

It closes after deer season and stays that way 'till trout season.

Im going back 3 weekends in a row starting the 24th of sept thats how impressed I am and we have applied to 'host' it next summer...(the ACoE has developed a campground hosting program nationwide since there is no $$$ in the budget)

Old 09-27-2010, 08:01 AM   #2

SUN #1508
spent another weekend down here - I cannot stress enuf how much I like this place. Next weekend I will be there again and it is 'TDF' (tour De Forest) ATV ride weekend and I will be basing from there. Should be a busy campground if the weather is nice - on good weekends even in a bad economy 1500 or so machines can show up.

Old 10-05-2010, 07:27 AM   #3

SUN #1508
Ever 'own' a campground? One tucked way far away with no lights, neighbors, towns etc and you are the only one around? That was this last weekend. Now for the last weekend with water on - this weekend. Also corresponds with when the fish commish dumps the rest of the trout in salmon run - huge monsters that slowly make their way down to the tionesta as the tannin level rises due to leaves in the water.

I will be bringing the lemmon-pepper.
Old 10-18-2010, 09:38 AM   #4

SUN #1508
My wheels stopped rolling for the last time in Kelletville this last weekend. the bathhouse was locked but oddly the water was still on and dump station open and best of all - it was free!

20 spots in this huge park and only 3 occupied (we spaced out) and we got our fav spot.

then a 4th showed up, a guy in a 77 K5 who we all pretty much thought was homeless. It seemed everything he owned was in the vehicle. He was staying the week, sleeping (somehow) in the back of this machine so we all gave up our leftover wood. since he only builds a hatful of fire at a time, it should last a week!

he had a fish rod (with huge trout a few hundred yards away in salmon creek), a .22 with red squirrels all over and some recently released ring necks (had 6 walk past me close enuf to spit on) - so maybe he does not have it so bad.
Old 10-21-2010, 06:56 PM   #5

SUN #1627
Ford 4 Life is an unknown quantity at this point
Pet friendly campgrounds in NJ

Looking for some pet friendly campgrounds in Nj or Pa. We are centraly located near rt.78, 287 and 33. Have two children and a black lab looking to camp and have some fun. Maybe a place with a lake to fish or trails to ride atv's also would be great. Thanks, Gregg
Old 10-21-2010, 06:58 PM   #6

SUN #1508
10 miles away is the tionesta lake (boats ok) and of course the river. if you can tow the RV AND some toys, the marienville summer ATV trail is 25 minutes away from the campground.

dont get caught riding on a non-open trail....
Old 04-11-2011, 08:13 PM   #7

SUN #1508
this weekend IS the opening day of trout. and this weekend the campground is supposed to open.

ya'll gonna be there right? right?