Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
Sunline RV Forum
Sunline User Photos

Go Back   Sunline Coach Owner's Club > For Sale Forums > Wanted
Click Here to Login

Join Sunline Club Forums Today

Old 07-18-2007, 07:21 PM   #1

SUN #352
Gary
Seeking a Sunspot!

Lol

Isn't everyone?

Any and all leads seriously appreciated!

Thanks everyone

Looking for a Sunspot! Anyone have any leads?
Gary is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-18-2007, 09:11 PM   #2

SUN #123
Sunline Fan is an unknown quantity at this point
Re: Seeking a Sunspot!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gary
Isn't everyone?
Hi Gary,

I have to say I'd love to have a Sunspot too, but they are very few and far between. All I can say is watch eBay and Craigslist all the time. Some pop up on eBay occasionally, but it's not very often. I'll keep you in mind if I see anything.

Jon

2007 T-286SR Cherry/Granola, #6236, original owner, current mileage: 9473.8 (as of 6/18/21)
1997 T-2653 Blue Denim, #5471
1979 12 1/2' MC, Beige & Avocado, #4639
Past Sunlines: '97 T-2653 #5089, '94 T-2251, '86 T-1550, '94 T-2363, '98 T-270SR
Sunline Fan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-19-2007, 05:59 PM   #3

SUN #352
Gary
Thank you sir!

Old 07-21-2007, 06:45 PM   #4

SUN #311
Gaelen
Hi, Gary...
I picked up my Sunspot on eBay, it happened to be on a small RV/used car lot about 45 minutes from me. The kitchen was gutted out of the trailer, so now it has two pass through shelves in the back where the kitchen used to be. The top shelf is removeable. The 'awnings' that came with it are really just blue tarps. The interior 12v system needs a new battery and to be completely rewired. The seats/cushions are gone. However, the windows/screens are all new, the interior wood and some of the frame wood is new, and the towing lights work just fine. It's campable as is, and as soon as I get two days off in a row when it's not raining, I'll be taking it out for its maiden voyage.

I am not going to restore it...I like the ability to use it as a semi-cargo trailer to haul equipment to dog shows, as well as the ability to camp in it. I'm going to build a shelf about 24" wide along the non-door side with cushions to use an an interior seat and dog loft when I'm sleeping on the floor, as well as provide some under-seat storage. And I've measured the back shelves so that I can make/buy a shelf/box system to store kitchen needs on the back shelves.

It is really, really cute...and it tows like a dream. I just wish I wasn't losing the best days of summer in the northeast to working!
my Life Out Loud blog
Gaelen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-25-2007, 07:44 AM   #5

SUN #307
purplesuebug
I don't know what it is, but the following ad was in the local community paper this week...........

1980 sunline camper, Sleeps 4, AC, 12’ Long, $1,600. Call 484-571-1349.

I do not know anything about it, hope its what you're looking for, Marshall
purplesuebug is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2007, 08:35 PM   #6

SUN #311
Gaelen
Gary, if you're up for a trip to Colorado, this was just posted on the Teardrops and Tiny Travel Trailers forum:
http://www.mikenchell.com/forums/

Sunspot for sale in Colorado:
Hi Everyone!

A friend in Colorado has ask me to post this, I have seen and been inside this Tiny Trailer. It is really nice and would be a perfect addition to anyone's home. Please contact Susan by email if you are interested...

1980 Sunline Sunspot for sale ... (pictures, floor plan, specs at websites below) (there were only 75 of these made in 1980. None were made any other years. When we purchased this little trailer Sunline was still in business. I spoke to an employee who was there when these were made. They offered to buy it back from us because they estimated there were only about 10 left on the road. It was an expensive little trailer when new so they didn't continue making them. Ours is close to stock and I haven't seen another in better condition on ebay. We do have the stock wheels if the new owner would want to do a restoration.) We haven't placed it on Ebay yet but might later.

$3500.00 firm.

The Sunspot holds 9 gallons fresh water (23 gallon grey water tank), has manual pump or connects to city water. Lighting is set up for AC/DC both in galley and interior. Has brakes too. Lots of storage for a little trailer. You can kneel in it but not stand up.

We're second owners. Non-smoking. Many things that have been replaced, renewed... new roof, updated 7 prong plug, larger size grey water tank (there's no black water, no bathroom), newer propane tank, chrome wheels, custom made mattress, exterior lighting fixtures (brakes and running lights) replaced, third brake light added (not working now), new faucet & plumbing, some window glass replaced, screens, closet was changed to shelves but rack is still in place. Has been garaged most of the time, clear Colorado title, wheel bearings were last packed 2 years ago when we used it.

Some dents (hail), two spots (one in front and one on the side) of fading or staining in the paint, 3 way fridge does not work, small chips in the fiberglass fenders, small chip in galley counter, original pin striping is drying out in places, some water staining on the interior lighter surfaced walls and ceiling (2 walls are wood, 2 light beige), two small holes in rear door, we don't have any of the original paperwork.

http://www.mikenchellcom/forums/album.php photos: see Sunline Sunspot

http://www.sunlineclubcom/docs/78sun.pdf flyer with specs... includes weight, water capacity, etc.

http://www.sunlineclub.com/docs/78sun2.pdf flyer with floorplan & other info (advertisement)

Contact Susan @ jesus4newhope@msn.com
my Life Out Loud blog
Old 08-08-2007, 09:40 PM   #7

SUN #123
Gaelen,

Unfortunately, I think I'll have to believe fewer than 10 are still on the road. I only have pics for five Sunspots. I had not heard that they were only built in '80. I wonder if that's really true. I have to say even though they are rare, I still don't think that one is worth $3500 firm with a bad refer.

I was wondering though, could you go look up your VIN for me and PM me with it? In '80, it should be a 6 digit number, with all numerals in it. Since yours was titled as a homemade, I don't think that would have been carried over, but it's still probably located on the tongue somewhere. That VIN will tell me if you truely have a '80 or not.

Jon
2007 T-286SR Cherry/Granola, #6236, original owner, current mileage: 9473.8 (as of 6/18/21)
Past Sunlines: '97 T-2653 #5089, '94 T-2251, '86 T-1550, '94 T-2363, '98 T-270SR
Old 08-09-2007, 06:42 AM   #8

SUN #311
Gaelen
Jon, I'll be happy to. I'm really curious about the 'history' of my little trailer, too.

Somewhere on the tongue, hmm? Okay, I'll start hunting. The tongue is original, I think. Will the VIN be on a metal tag bolted to the tongue, or actually etched directly into the tongue (I'm thinking tag, yes?) Man, I am SUCH a novice.

BTW, If the Sunspot in CO is the same one that shows up in some of the CO gathering pics posted on T&TTT, then it's in *very* good condition, much better than my own. And the thing is, stuff is worth what someone is willing to pay. I like my not-quite-perfect Sunspot so much that if this one were closer, I might go take a look at it and sell my own. Can't the bad refer just be replaced? That seems a very small thing to me--then, I operate out of a cooler, soo.....

About what things cost....I don't know if you all have seen it, but the current Sundance catalog has a teardrop on the front cover for $24K. Yep, that's a 24 with three zeroes. Now I love teardrops, and so do the folks on T&TTT, but the jokes about THAT price have been--well--there have been about six threads about it to date! The going price for a constructed woodie teardrop where you do basic galley finishing is around $2500-$3000, without shipping or the cost to drive to get it. That's a neglible cost if you're near one of the builders...but most of them are in the south, southwest, or on the West coast. There's a guy in Maine, and a guy in PA, but both of those people are a haul even for me in CNY.

The thing is, the Sunspot is a sweet little trailer, and as you've mentioned, there aren't a lot of them around. The extra few inches of height make possible in the Sunspot some things that are much tougher in a teardrop. You said it yourself--it's a triumph of SunLine's lightweight engineering, and a LOT of folks are looking for that these days with the price of gas. My Sunspot at 660 lbs is *lighter* than a lot of teardrops, lighter even than most pop-up campers (without the bother of dealing with post-campout wet canvas) and half a ton lighter than TTTs like Serro Scottys and Casitas. I have a Chevy S10...but if I decide to downsize, I can still safely pull the Sunspot, which weighs no more than the kind of small utility trailer you'd rent from Home Depot.

I'll go VIN hunting after work tonight, or tomorrow if physical therapy knocks me out (again )
my Life Out Loud blog
Old 08-09-2007, 11:25 AM   #9

SUN #123
Hi Gaelen,

Unfortunately, I don't have any pics of the old VIN locations and I've not seen one in person to know where they'd be. The most common place to find the VIN is on a sticker on the drivers side near the front (if the sticker is still intact), but I don't know if they put that on back then. 1981 was sort of a turning point for VIN's as USDOT or someone required a standard format that started with 1LC etc., so that may have been when they started the stickers. Remember, yours should be a 6 digit number with no letters at all. Other than the sticker, it may be on a little aluminum plate on the tongue (drivers side). Being as old as it is, I wouldn't be surprised if it were stamped right into the frame. The third and final place that I know of is it would be just inside the entry door under the door trim. The newer doors have a small aluminum sill plate, held in with 4-5 screws, and a VIN plate is under there. But again, I don't know if they did things the same back then.

I guess the price could be somewhat reasonable, but I'm looking at it from a Sunline perspective and not a teardrop perspective. I think that's where the price difference comes from. You're right, it's worth what someone's willing to pay. If someone is really really wanting a Sunspot, then this might be perfect. I would really like one but I'm looking for one that hasn't seen the road in many years and needs some work. Then again, I'm not in a hurry at all. As long as I do it in the next 50 years!!!

The bad refer could be expensive depending on what you want to do to it. The cheapest way to go is to remove the unit and turn it upside down, yes, actually turn the whole unit. Most refer problems are due to clogs in the cooling system and flipping it over sometimes unclogs the system. The cheaper way to go is to go buy a little dorm refer and pop it in it's place, but then you can't do a gas application. The next cheapest would be to buy a new 2 or 3 way refer and put it there, but then it wouldn't look original. The most expensive way to go is to buy refurbished guts or have yours refurbished. This basically involves disassembling the entire refer. I put this as most expensive because I'm sure prices vary depending on the unit and the older ones probably cost more. I really have no idea on prices for refurbishing, but new refers cost between $1000 and $1500 depending on size and features. When buying a regular sized Sunline, this is something I have to consider and expect to see this taken out of the price.

Good luck on your VIN search,
Jon
Old 08-19-2007, 08:23 PM   #10

SUN #352
Gary
Gaelen,

Thanks for the lead...

Colorado would be a wonderful trip as I have not been that far west since my time in the Air Force. Think I will just need to wait for one a little closer.

Thanks again!
Gary

Old 08-19-2007, 11:15 PM   #11

SUN #123
Gary,

Just found this two minutes ago. It appears to be repainted but does come with complete side awning.

1979 Sunspot link

Jon
Old 08-22-2007, 06:39 AM   #12

SUN #311
Gaelen
Jon, that link came up in French and didn't go directly to the listing--but I was wondering, so you think it's the same one that was on eBay about the time that mine was posted?

I remember you posted here that there were two Sunspots available on eBay, and I posted that I'd just bought the one in NY.

The other one had side awnings, had been repainted, and was shown being pulled by an ATV.
my Life Out Loud blog
Old 08-22-2007, 08:19 AM   #13

SUN #123
Gaelen,

Nope, this isn't the same one. It has been repainted though. Here's another link, hopefully it'll work.

Try This

I don't know any french, but I've found my way around this site and found a search box to type in Sunline.
Click either the "resultats detailles" or "resultats abreges" buttons. If you click detailles, follow these instructions: Scroll to the fourth page for this one, and it's the last one on the page. If you click abreges, scroll to the bottom of the page and this is the last one listed. You'll be scrolling past quite a few vintage Sunline's!!

Jon
Old 08-28-2007, 06:22 PM   #14

SUN #384
Sunshine
Sunspot for sale

Hi Gary,
I just posted my 1979 (or 80?) Sunspot for sale on that Forum site. Let me know if you are interested, and if I can give you more information.
Thanks, Anne

Sunshine is offline   Reply With Quote