Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
Sunline RV Forum
Sunline User Photos

Go Back   Sunline Coach Owner's Club > For Sale Forums > Wanted
Click Here to Login

Join Sunline Club Forums Today

Old 03-25-2017, 08:42 AM   #1

SUN #8893
Thomascine is an unknown quantity at this point
1987 T1550 Interior Wall Paneling

Good morning,

Can anyone tell me where I can find replacement wall paneling and what color it is or should I say was?

Thanks,
Tommie

"Twenty years from now you will be more disappointed by the things that you didn’t do than by the ones you did do..." Mark Twain]
Thomascine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-2017, 03:14 PM   #2

SUN #8237
johnnybgood is an unknown quantity at this point
Maybe just paint?

Old 03-25-2017, 03:35 PM   #3

SUN #8893
Good afternoon JohnnyBGood,

That may be the way I have to go. I think I found a couple of places that sells something really close but too expensive for me (about $210 for one 4' x 8' panel at one place).

"Twenty years from now you will be more disappointed by the things that you didn’t do than by the ones you did do..." Mark Twain]
Old 03-25-2017, 05:48 PM   #4

SUN #89
JohnB is on a distinguished road
Paneling years ago was very popular. Today it is hard to find.

I found this but it seems Menard's has not yet come south east enough
http://www.menards.com/main/paint/pa...inStoreId=3214

But it gave me a thought. If you can find something close at a good price on line at Lowes to Home Depot, they can ship it to the store for free pickup.

I found this at Lowes, not quite the right color but a start. https://www.lowes.com/pd/48-in-x-8-f...Panel/50106848

As an option, they do make bare wood bead board panels. I have seen some rebuilds use these. Then you stain to try and match. OR you can find them in pre-primed white. Wainscot also has been used. While the one I linked is like knotty pine, I have seen them with no knots, just bare wood in one of the lumber yards at the store. Then if you want to stain or paint, you can have without the knots.
https://www.lowes.com/pd/EverTrue-3-...-Panel/3056259

I did not look at all the HD or Lowes wall boards, there might be something there that may be able to be ordered and delivered to the store.

Google Custom Search For Sunline Owners Club
JohnB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-2017, 07:59 PM   #5

SUN #8893
Thanks JohnB.

I can live with the one from Menards. I visited the manufacturer's website and according to the site, their products are also carried at Lowes and Home Depot. I will check at one of those to see if that one is available. In looking at the tasks ahead, I am thinking that I will need to attach the paneling to the replacement grids since I am not able to take out the cabinets. I can't get to some of the areas from the inside where the paneling needs to go.

Anyone have any other ideas?

Thanks,
Tommie

Old 03-25-2017, 09:17 PM   #6

SUN #89
Quote:
Originally Posted by Thomascine View Post
Thanks JohnB.

I can live with the one from Menards. I visited the manufacturer's website and according to the site, their products are also carried at Lowes and Home Depot.

In looking at the tasks ahead, I am thinking that I will need to attach the paneling to the replacement grids since I am not able to take out the cabinets. I can't get to some of the areas from the inside where the paneling needs to go.
Wow, you backed into the mfg site. Cool!!! good digging. I'll have to remember that one for the future.

I agree, attach the new wall board to the new wood grids you are making. That is a good idea. The wall board will help make the whole camper stiffer.

Old 03-26-2017, 06:39 AM   #7
sep

SUN #7710
sep is an unknown quantity at this point
Quote:
Originally Posted by Thomascine View Post
Thanks JohnB.

I can live with the one from Menards. I visited the manufacturer's website and according to the site, their products are also carried at Lowes and Home Depot. I will check at one of those to see if that one is available. In looking at the tasks ahead, I am thinking that I will need to attach the paneling to the replacement grids since I am not able to take out the cabinets. I can't get to some of the areas from the inside where the paneling needs to go.

Anyone have any other ideas?

Thanks,
Tommie
As for the walls, you could always do what I did in 2002 with my 1976 Shasta. I didn't like the dark panel so I went to my Benjamin Moore paint store in town and picked up this commercial grade wall paper. It cost me less than 100 bucks to do the whole camper.

I would also go around the cabinets. You may have to add some scab wood to the existing right around the edges of the cabinets so you have something to nail to.

Steve
Attached Images
File Type: jpg b4 walls.jpg (145.6 KB, 12 views)
File Type: jpg DSC00484.JPG (137.3 KB, 12 views)
File Type: jpg DSC00485.JPG (147.8 KB, 12 views)
Old 03-26-2017, 09:21 AM   #8

SUN #8893
Thanks Sep,

I had considered wallpaper with a woodgrain pattern. I like the look of the wood. Call me old fashioned. I didn't think to check at any of the paint dealers. Thanks for the info.

Tommie

Sent from my SM-N910V using Tapatalk

Old 03-26-2017, 10:18 PM   #9

SUN #89
Quote:
Originally Posted by sep View Post
I went to my Benjamin Moore paint store in town and picked up this commercial grade wall paper. It cost me less than 100 bucks to do the whole camper.

Steve
Steve,

The commercial grade wall paper, do you mean the 4 foot wide very thick wall paper? This is about 4 times a thick as normal home paper.

I saw this at our work a few years ago when they remodeled. They where taking it off the walls. I was super impressed with the quality and durability of it. And it comes in many styles.

Question, the glue, did they make some kind of outdoor glue? The camper lives in below zero freezing to over 100F in the summer cooking in the sun. And in conditions of high moisture at times. For sure have to use the right glue. What did you use?

I may do something like this in mine some day as an overhaul.

Thanks

John

Old 03-27-2017, 02:12 PM   #10

SUN #2427
JTurner is an unknown quantity at this point
We had to replace some in our 85 and I found this at Home Depot. The color is pretty close but it has lines in it. You can't even notice the difference with the dinette put back and the curtains in.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg camper wall 2.jpg (77.8 KB, 14 views)
JTurner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-2017, 03:54 PM   #11

SUN #8893
Hello JTurner,

I think I did see that one on Home Depot's website, at least it looks like it. The Home Depot here does not have it. The closest one that has it in stock is about an hour away. It may be worth the trip to have what I want. I'll have to decide really soon. Thank you so much for the info. The picture helps a lot to see how it would look.

Tommie
Old 03-27-2017, 04:17 PM   #12

SUN #8893
JTurner,

Do you happen to remember the name of the pattern for the paneling you have?

Thanks,
Tommie
Old 03-28-2017, 10:41 AM   #13

SUN #2427
No, sorry I don't remember the name. It was two summers ago I think.
Old 03-28-2017, 10:44 AM   #14

SUN #2427
Did you look under the upper bunks? Our 1550 has the two upper bunks and there are two sheets of matching plywood under the mattresses as supports. They were just laid loose in there. We considered using them but they were not large enough for our wall, my husband wanted to use one piece.
Old 03-28-2017, 10:46 AM   #15

SUN #8893
I will check but I will need a lot more than that I think. I have to do the front and back walls. Water damage on both ends of the camper.

Thanks,
Tommie

Sent from my SM-N910V using Tapatalk

Old 04-02-2017, 08:27 PM   #16
sep

SUN #7710
Quote:
Originally Posted by JohnB View Post
Steve,

The commercial grade wall paper, do you mean the 4 foot wide very thick wall paper? This is about 4 times a thick as normal home paper.

I saw this at our work a few years ago when they remodeled. They where taking it off the walls. I was super impressed with the quality and durability of it. And it comes in many styles.

Question, the glue, did they make some kind of outdoor glue? The camper lives in below zero freezing to over 100F in the summer cooking in the sun. And in conditions of high moisture at times. For sure have to use the right glue. What did you use?

I may do something like this in mine some day as an overhaul.

Thanks

John
John,

Sorry it took so long to get back to you. The rolls I used were 27" wide. I'll post a pic once I get it off my phone. It was thicker than regular paper almost like a cloth backing. I used border glue just because I know that stuff is a pain in the butt to get off. I don't know how well the glue worked because I put it on in April and in July an oak tree fell on the camper and I had to scrap it. Any idea how the factory glued there paper to the sheets of wall board or any idea what the best glue to use considering that you need some give to line them up plumb on the new wallboard?

Steve
Old 04-03-2017, 09:00 AM   #17

SUN #89
Quote:
Any idea how the factory glued there paper to the sheets of wall board or any idea what the best glue to use considering that you need some give to line them up plumb on the new wallboard?
Steve
Hi Steve,

Thanks for the note. The paper you describe is like what I saw in our commercial building, just they had 48" width. It may come in different widths.

The glue, I do not know what Sunline used. What ever it was, it was good on the wall and ceiling board. The ceiling in the newer campers was a thin vinyl kind of film. The walls where more of a paper kind of product. And no, I do not know what the best glue is for a camper setting of wood to the paper or old paper to new paper. I'm trying to track that down as some day I may need to use it. For sure, the commercial wall paper is a great option, just have to figure out how to bond it and live in the environment of a camper. Since you bumped into the commercial wall paper too, I was hoping you may have sorted it out.

Thanks

John

Sorry about the tree falling. What a bummer....

Old 04-17-2017, 07:18 PM   #18
sep

SUN #7710
Quote:
John,

Sorry it took so long to get back to you. The rolls I used were 27" wide. I'll post a pic once I get it off my phone. It was thicker than regular paper almost like a cloth backing. I used border glue just because I know that stuff is a pain in the butt to get off. I don't know how well the glue worked because I put it on in April and in July an oak tree fell on the camper and I had to scrap it. Any idea how the factory glued there paper to the sheets of wall board or any idea what the best glue to use considering that you need some give to line them up plumb on the new wallboard?

Steve
John B, Here are the pictures of the wallpaper I was talking about.wallpaper for shasta 1.jpg

wallpaper for shasta 2.jpg
Old 04-17-2017, 07:42 PM   #19

SUN #89
Thanks Steve, yes, that looks like the same paper I saw in our office building, just a narrower size. Good idea!

Old 04-17-2017, 08:05 PM   #20

SUN #8893
Good evening,

I am still looking for wall paneling. I have not found much that has caught my attention. I did visit multiple local Lowes and Home Depot stores. Did find some wall paneling that may work. Leaning towards the third one.

I haven't decided which I want to use. Also considering self-stick wallpaper for the side walls. I am not comfortable using wallpaper with glue, I always make quite a mess with anything involving glue. Never had to put up wallpaper before. Neither Lowes nor Home Depot carry wallpaper here.

Thanks,
Tommie