Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
Sunline RV Forum
Sunline User Photos

Go Back   Sunline Coach Owner's Club > For Sale Forums > Accessories, Parts, Etc. For Sale
Click Here to Login

Join Sunline Club Forums Today

Old 06-25-2012, 10:34 AM   #1

SUN #3935
j2cool is an unknown quantity at this point
Need an awning (and general info) for Sunline

Hello Everyone,

I am new to the club. I have recently purchased my Sunline. It is a 16 footer. The model is T-1650. I do not know the exact model name and would appreciate finding out if anyone else know. It looks similar to a Saturn but the door is located closer to the front than the back on say a '79 model.

I looking for items and information on getting it travel ready.

It did not come with keys, binder or any documentation of any kind. So any relevant information on how items are hook up and used including winterizing and prepping in the spring for use would be a great help.

It also did not come with an awning but has a slide-in slot where one could go, if anyone has they are not using after upgrading to a motorize one or a newer camper and help out; finances are extremely limited (a disabled, single unemployed mom going attending college and trying to start a business) is would be greatly appreciated. If you at least have information on brand that is best suited for my model and size camper to help to know what to look for, that would be helpful too.

Link(s) to copies of the documentation/owner's manual and additional tip (and even better) video; I'm a visual learner that would be really awesome!

If you know of any physical places (retailer store) where I may be able to find some of things I need or looking for; I live in the state of New Hampshire.

Thanks so much to you all!

Old 06-25-2012, 01:57 PM   #2
Moderator Emeritus

SUN #897
EMD_Driver is an unknown quantity at this point
Send a message via MSN to EMD_Driver Send a message via Yahoo to EMD_Driver
There is a ton of helpful info HERE...

You could spend hours, reading it all!

2007 Peterson Excel Limited 30RKE
2014 Ford F350XLT SRW Crew Cab, Long bed 6.7PSD

EMD_Driver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-25-2012, 07:39 PM   #3

SUN #768
Gene is an unknown quantity at this point
Quote:
Originally Posted by j2cool View Post
It did not come with keys, binder or any documentation of any kind. ...
The key for compartments and hatches is a "751" key carried be almost all RV dealers. If you need a key for the entrance door you can find info in this thread.
http://www.sunlineclub.com/forums/f75/keys-in-the-lake-13779.html

Gary pointed you to where there is a ton of info. Remember there are no dumb questions on this forum.

Gene & DW Ginny
2002 Sunline T-2363
2008 Toyota 4-runner 4wd 4.7L V-8
Reese Dual Cam straightline - P3 Brake controller
Gene is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-25-2012, 08:16 PM   #4

SUN #123
Sunline Fan is an unknown quantity at this point
Prior to 1986, travel trailers really didn't have a model name such as Saturn. That came around for 1986. Prior to then, a special, lightweight fifth wheel had the SunRider name, a very small travel trailer (teardrop style) had the name Sunspot, and the mini-motorhomes had the name Solaris (which was later recycled to some travel trailers).

So you just have a 1984 Sunline T-1650.
2007 T-286SR Cherry/Granola, #6236, original owner, current mileage: 9473.8 (as of 6/18/21)
1997 T-2653 Blue Denim, #5471
1979 12 1/2' MC, Beige & Avocado, #4639
Past Sunlines: '97 T-2653 #5089, '94 T-2251, '86 T-1550, '94 T-2363, '98 T-270SR
Sunline Fan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-25-2012, 08:23 PM   #5

SUN #123
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gene View Post
The key for compartments and hatches is a "751" key carried be almost all RV dealers.
Actually, that isn't the case here. The 1980s Sunlines (and prior, and possibly 1990/1991) used a different style key. I don't know why the massive change to the 751.

The entry door keys were different, and I'm not sure if they can be ordered by key number. It was a Weiser brand lockset on my 1550. The key looked like this shape, but was silver:

Key WR5 Coined PLAIN and MADE IN USA Marked WR5(Thumb) (250 Pack)

The compartment door key was like this, and was code ES201 (like how the other is CH751):
Key ES8 Incised ESP (50 Pack)

I don't know if that ES201 can be ordered pre-cut or not though. You can get it with new locks here though:

Cam Lock, 7/8 KA ES201

The fresh water door, for those that had a door vs. the pullout style fill, used a different key from the 201. It looked similar to this, but I don't know if this one would work or not:

http://www.dyersonline.com/jr-hatch-...old-style.html

Here are some pics of the keys from my 1550. The left is the entry door key, the middle is the ES201 compartment door key, and the right is the fresh water fill door.

2007 T-286SR Cherry/Granola, #6236, original owner, current mileage: 9473.8 (as of 6/18/21)
Past Sunlines: '97 T-2653 #5089, '94 T-2251, '86 T-1550, '94 T-2363, '98 T-270SR
Old 06-25-2012, 09:02 PM   #6

SUN #768
Gene is an unknown quantity at this point
ahhhhh ...... I assumed again. Thanks Jon for the correct info.

Gene & DW Ginny
2002 Sunline T-2363
2008 Toyota 4-runner 4wd 4.7L V-8
Reese Dual Cam straightline - P3 Brake controller
Gene is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-26-2012, 08:16 PM   #7

SUN #3935
So…if I understand you right, Joh, its kinda iffy on the fresh water key and we had prior discussion over lifting the coach in hopes of gaining access into the storage to open then change the lock right? But I can still use the previously link you sent me to get get a new door and deadbolt right? I don't remember who, but someone else told me I might get lucky by asking a neighbor if I can borrow their camper key to see if they fit my fresh water and storage. They had mentioned how a friend of their own a Jayco but the key work in their locks and they were able to get copies made of it. As it turns out there is a neighbor on my street that own a Sunline that does look similar to my own. I just have to get up the nerve to ask. The son played football with my children but only in one season; they're more of acquaintances and not really friends or anything so I will not make them ask for me.
Old 06-26-2012, 08:21 PM   #8

SUN #3935
Thumbs up Gotcha' Thanks a bunch!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gene View Post
The key for compartments and hatches is a "751" key carried be almost all RV dealers. If you need a key for the entrance door you can find info in this thread.
http://www.sunlineclub.com/forums/f75/keys-in-the-lake-13779.html

Gary pointed you to where there is a ton of info. Remember there are no dumb questions on this forum.

Gary did point to a lot of good info. I had thank him in a private message with any additional questions I had…and yes, I do agree and it has long since been my own philosophy that is are no dumb question with the exception of the one not ask.

Thanks
Old 06-26-2012, 08:26 PM   #9

SUN #3935
Thumbs up Sunline T-1650

Good to know.

Thanks Jon.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sunline Fan View Post
Prior to 1986, travel trailers really didn't have a model name such as Saturn. That came around for 1986. Prior to then, a special, lightweight fifth wheel had the SunRider name, a very small travel trailer (teardrop style) had the name Sunspot, and the mini-motorhomes had the name Solaris (which was later recycled to some travel trailers).

So you just have a 1984 Sunline T-1650.
Old 06-26-2012, 10:43 PM   #10

SUN #123
Quote:
So…if I understand you right, Joh, its kinda iffy on the fresh water key and we had prior discussion over lifting the coach in hopes of gaining access into the storage to open then change the lock right? But I can still use the previously link you sent me to get get a new door and deadbolt right? I don't remember who, but someone else told me I might get lucky by asking a neighbor if I can borrow their camper key to see if they fit my fresh water and storage. They had mentioned how a friend of their own a Jayco but the key work in their locks and they were able to get copies made of it. As it turns out there is a neighbor on my street that own a Sunline that does look similar to my own. I just have to get up the nerve to ask. The son played football with my children but only in one season; they're more of acquaintances and not really friends or anything so I will not make them ask for me.
Correct, now that I got that picture up of the fresh water door key to compare, they aren't the same key, so I wouldn't buy that one.

You shouldn't have any need to unscrew the lock from the back side of the compartment doors if you were to order those locks with the same key number. You'd have spare locks setting around, but the keys that come with them would work both those spare locks and the locks currently on the trailer.

You could find a neighbor and try their key, but if it's a newer trailer (like 1990s or newer), it probably isn't the same key. If the neighbor did have a newer trailer, they would have that 751 key, where you have the other kind.

If the Sunline down your street is tan (or maybe an older looking off-white) on the outside like yours, then more than likely the keys will work for the compartment doors, and hopefully for the fresh water fill too.
Old 06-28-2012, 10:54 AM   #11

SUN #3935
I went in the camper yesterday and was able to access the storage from the inside. I didn't open though, I got distracted from the seeing I need to troubleshoot for water damage and where the leak or areas that may just need sealing like the windows and vents on the roof; nothing major I don't think. I plan on buying a cover as soon as I can save up enough to buy one for the winter. I am also looking into to buying an awning to help preserve the outside paint. I like the original look. I have pictures I will be putting in a separate album specifically for documents repair/maintenance issues (and eventual progress). Oh, and the camper down the street is an older tan one like my own. I will try asking about it today. I plan on getting a new door knob (that can lock) and deadbolt for my door this weekend.
Old 06-30-2012, 01:34 PM   #12

SUN #3935
UPDATE:
There has been a lot of discussion over replacing keys and repairing locks, which I appreciate all the help with from everyone! But I wanted to remind members again, I am also looking for an awning. If you know of a good brand or even better, have one you no longer use due to upgrading and would like to donate yours to a member in need of one, me. That would would be great. I notice there is curved grooved along the top of the camper where one might have previously gone but yesterday I notice the same thing on the street side (opposite the door side where most awning usually go). Any idea if it is anything other than for a awning. Or was there just an option to attached one to either side or both?
Old 06-30-2012, 08:44 PM   #13

SUN #481
clueless campers is an unknown quantity at this point
Those troughs you see at the edge of the roof on both sides are rain gutters. They help keep water from running over the edge of a dirty roof and leaving black streaks allover the sides.
clueless campers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-03-2012, 02:38 PM   #14

SUN #3935
Oh…that's what those are for. Thank Clueless campers. You are clearly not as your name would imply. You are one smart and informed cookie. I appreciate the info. I am glad to say, I do not have any black streak and hope to not get any. From what I understand, they can be quiet a problem to deal with it once they are there.
Old 07-03-2012, 05:05 PM   #15

SUN #481
clueless campers is an unknown quantity at this point
Quote:
Oh…that's what those are for. Thank Clueless campers. You are clearly not as your name would imply.
You're welcome j2cool. When we first joined SOC we really were clueless but other members have helped us a lot. We are so happy we found such a great group.
clueless campers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2012, 07:33 PM   #16
Moderator Emeritus

SUN #897
EMD_Driver is an unknown quantity at this point
Send a message via MSN to EMD_Driver Send a message via Yahoo to EMD_Driver
10ft Awning

2007 Peterson Excel Limited 30RKE
2014 Ford F350XLT SRW Crew Cab, Long bed 6.7PSD

EMD_Driver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-23-2012, 09:10 AM   #17

SUN #3935
Thanks EMD_Driver but its in PA and I am in NH. Also, I found some for less on ebay.
Old 10-13-2012, 01:23 PM   #18

SUN #4470
Drivingmad is an unknown quantity at this point
Hey j2cool, I just bought an '84 Sunline and it came with a brochure that has "layouts" for every style made that year, (I believe T1650 is one of them). If it's any help to you, I can scan it and post it.
Old 10-13-2012, 01:41 PM   #19

SUN #264
Steve Collins is an unknown quantity at this point
Quote:
Originally Posted by Drivingmad View Post
Hey j2cool, I just bought an '84 Sunline and it came with a brochure that has "layouts" for every style made that year, (I believe T1650 is one of them). If it's any help to you, I can scan it and post it.
Brochures for all the model years are already scanned and available for everyone in the Files area. They've been there for quite a while now.

'12 F250 4x4 Super Duty PowerStroke 6.7 diesel
2011 to present: '11 Cougar 326MKS
1999 to 2011: '99 Sunline T-2453
SUN264 * Amateur Radio kd2iat monitoring 146.52
Steve Collins is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-13-2012, 01:52 PM   #20

SUN #4470
Drivingmad is an unknown quantity at this point
that works too Steve, saves me the time --- THANKS