Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
Sunline RV Forum
Sunline User Photos

Go Back   Sunline Coach Owner's Club > For Sale Forums > Sunlines For Sale
Click Here to Login

Join Sunline Club Forums Today

Old 12-10-2017, 07:55 PM   #1

SUN #10184
Cshel is an unknown quantity at this point
83 tired 1750 for sale

I was hoping to become a new Sunline fan when I purchased a 1983 17’ Sunline two weeks ago. I bought it for $1900 + $300 for some extra work from a guy named Mike; I thought he was a decent guy, a veteran who was just down-and-out, trying to make a living by fixing up and selling camp trailers. Usually it turns out well when I trust people; not this time. I’ve since learned that Mike lied about almost everything he said he had already done or would do on the Sunline, which means he was a scoundrel and I overpaid him.

But I have a good friend who said he could help me.
So I bought a new countertop (from HomeDepot) that could be installed, a new kitchen sink, a Bosch electric HW heater, and I was comparing fabric swatches and planning pretty new seating/beds and curtains, happily imagining a cute little camp trailer! But the more we look, the more I think might need to be done. All of this is 100% out of my skill set; I am still working full-time and don’t have time or inclination to take on a whole new career learning and doing a refurb; I am single, so I can’t ask a husband to do it; I really don’t want to take advantage of my good friend, as it has now become more than he or I bargained for. And now he found a leak in the black water tank. That’s it. I’m done. It’s just too much!

This 1983 trailer needs love – a lot of love – from an owner who knows what he’s doing and has the time, inclination, and money to make it into a cute little travel trailer. Is that person out there? I doubt that I can recoup the $2200 that I paid for it, because I paid for work that didn’t get done. But for those who love Sunline and projects, this might be great. I can tell it used to be a very nice trailer, and I think it could be again, but I can't make it happen. I think it’s a model 1750, but I can’t tell for sure. It was supposedly 18x8, so I think that’s right; I think the floor length is 13’.

We agree that the frame seems to be sound and it does pull really nicely (a benefit of the dual axles). The cabinet doors are in good shape; most of the cabinetry is. We did not do anything with the things I purchased; I will plan to send them back, unless the purchaser wants to buy them, too. Mike did recently replace the refrigerator with a brand new electric refrigerator (and installed it with duct tape). I foolishly threw away the paperwork from that refrigerator purchase when I cleaned out his mess, but at least that much was real.

I will attach the photos I have, and hope that someone will take this Sunline and make it usable and comfortable again.

After some work today, the title is not the only thing that is clean, but it is clean.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg ext driver rear corner.jpg (85.8 KB, 20 views)
File Type: jpg galley view.jpg (76.8 KB, 20 views)
File Type: jpg rear bunk mattress.jpg (76.8 KB, 15 views)
File Type: jpg shower wall.jpg (75.6 KB, 17 views)
File Type: jpg front corner.jpg (76.6 KB, 16 views)
File Type: jpg Wedgwood stove.jpg (73.0 KB, 16 views)

Old 12-11-2017, 06:31 AM   #2

SUN #123
Sunline Fan is an unknown quantity at this point
Aside from some past water damage in the bathroom, it does look like a very clean Sunline. It always seems risky to buy from someone who did repairs like that and didn't provide documentation of what was done- you don't know if all the rotted wood was replaced or if he just stuck some new paneling up over it and called it good. Hopefully all was repaired correctly and the roof was resealed.

As for the shower, assuming all of the rotted wood has been replaced and since the vinyl covering on the walls has been compromised, I would recommend covering the walls with fiberglass reinforced plastic (FRP) panel. It's a bubbled plastic like what's on your entry door, and you can buy it in 4x8 sheets at Home Depot. Cut to size and attach it to the walls and ceiling of the shower with some sort of construction adhesive. This should help keep the wood dry when you take a shower. They use the same material in spray car washes, so it's meant to be wet.

I'd also recommend posting some pictures of the roof seams to show the condition of those. That should help your sale. If they haven't been coated recently, I would consider doing that ASAP, but hopefully the previous owner did that when he repaired the rotted wood.

2007 T-286SR Cherry/Granola, #6236, original owner, current mileage: 9473.8 (as of 6/18/21)
1997 T-2653 Blue Denim, #5471
1979 12 1/2' MC, Beige & Avocado, #4639
Past Sunlines: '97 T-2653 #5089, '94 T-2251, '86 T-1550, '94 T-2363, '98 T-270SR
Sunline Fan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-11-2017, 10:46 PM   #3

SUN #10184
My purchase was worse than risky; it was foolish. I didn't know what to look for, and I got taken. Now I just need to try to recoup what I can, take my loss, and start over. For those of you who have the knowledge and experience, a refurb is just another good project. For me, that's so far from reality that it's not even an option.

I'm still hoping that someone on this Sunline forum wants to take this on. I don't have confidence that the very obvious leak was or is the only one, and...CO winter is coming. Is there any interest?

Or does anyone have any other suggestions how I might find a buyer that would want to refurbish this Sunline?
Old 12-12-2017, 06:27 AM   #4

SUN #123
Unfortunately you're a bit too far west for the Sunline name to really be known, or to be near most members of this site.

I would recommend listing it on Craigslist or Facebook Marketplace. The latter seems to be becoming increasingly popular.

If you can post some close up pictures of the roof edges, we should be able to tell you if the roof has been sealed recently. It might be a good idea to strap a tarp over it for the winter to prevent any further water damage. When tarping, it's usually a good idea to create some sort of air gap on an edge, with a pool noodle or something similar. This allows moisture to escape so the tarp isn't completely sealing up around the roof edge.
2007 T-286SR Cherry/Granola, #6236, original owner, current mileage: 9473.8 (as of 6/18/21)
Past Sunlines: '97 T-2653 #5089, '94 T-2251, '86 T-1550, '94 T-2363, '98 T-270SR
Old 12-12-2017, 07:15 PM   #5

SUN #10184
Thank you for your excellent suggestions and encouragement.
Old 12-12-2017, 08:42 PM   #6

SUN #8893
Thomascine is an unknown quantity at this point
Hello Cshel,

I was/am in a similar situation. I did not know what to look for either and ended up with a unit that had quite a bit of water damage. With the direction of the wonderful folks on this forum, I was able to repair the front of the camper which was the worst of it. It is not perfect and I made quite a few mistakes but it is in much better shape than when I bought it. I still have the back to do but at least it is in usable condition. Like you, no husband, work full-time and can only work on the camper part-time between everything else. I had no idea of what I was doing but I made it through somehow. I am not trying to change your mind. You have to make the best decision for yourself but it is doable.

Thanks,
Tommie

"Twenty years from now you will be more disappointed by the things that you didn’t do than by the ones you did do..." Mark Twain]
Thomascine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-12-2017, 08:48 PM   #7

SUN #8893
Thomascine is an unknown quantity at this point
Your Sunny looks good BTW!
Old 12-12-2017, 09:32 PM   #8

SUN #123
Another thing to note too, water damage is soooo common in older trailers, you'll have a hard time finding one without. So chances are, you'll have to deal with repairing it or having it repaired, or just live with it. Sometimes you can find trailers with only a little water damage that are easier to live with than others, but once they start smelling inside, that's a problem.

I guess what I'm trying to say is that you may find this trailer looks to have worse damage, just because it has been tampered with, but you may find other trailers with much worse hidden damage. The rule with water damage is always once you see it, it's always much worse than it appears.
Old 12-13-2017, 08:42 PM   #9

SUN #10184
Tommie and Sunline Fan, you are very encouraging. If I was considering the project, I'd know I have good help - and encouragement. However, I think I've accomplished something major when I have managed to change a light bulb, or hang a simple shelf on the wall. There are many things I can do well..."handy", I am not. I'm still hoping to find a buyer who can handle a project.

I've reached out to the individuals I know. Next comes craigslist and FB mkt. Hopefully something happens there, and I'm not facing a salvage yard.
Old 12-18-2017, 09:16 PM   #10

SUN #10184
Whew! The little Sunny headed out today with new owners who are confident they can fix it up. Hurray! I was really afraid it would have to sit through the winter and deteriorate more. I did take a big loss on it, but not as big as it would have been next April or so.

I'm thankful to Jon for excellent advice along the way, and to both he and Thomascine for encouraging words. Now, if I can figure out how to unpost this as an item for sale...
Old 12-19-2017, 06:20 AM   #11

SUN #123
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cshel View Post
Whew! The little Sunny headed out today with new owners who are confident they can fix it up. Hurray! I was really afraid it would have to sit through the winter and deteriorate more. I did take a big loss on it, but not as big as it would have been next April or so.

I'm thankful to Jon for excellent advice along the way, and to both he and Thomascine for encouraging words. Now, if I can figure out how to unpost this as an item for sale...
Very glad everything worked out for you! Hopefully you can find another trailer that better suits your needs. And if you do, feel free to share it here and we can point out things to look closer at or ask for better pictures of, before you even see it in person.
Old 12-19-2017, 07:18 AM   #12

SUN #89
JohnB is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cshel View Post
Now, if I can figure out how to unpost this as an item for sale...
Glad your camper situation worked out for you.

The moderators in time will move your post into the for sale archive so it will no longer be active. Since your post has more to it then just selling a camper, we will leave it up for a few days so others can comment.

We thank you for letting us now the outcome. This really helps and allows up to move the post to the archive.

As Sunline Fan stated, if you find another camper, we are here to help and glad too, before you buy or after.

Thanks

John

Google Custom Search For Sunline Owners Club
JohnB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-20-2017, 05:53 AM   #13

SUN #10137
pagroundhog is an unknown quantity at this point
Well you learned some good things and now you are better educated. I hope that you will continue your search for a Sunliner. There are gems out there. I found a 1972 Lark that is all original. Yes you pay more for those in great condition but... you can enjoy it right on the spot and not have to fix anything. Good luck!