Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
Sunline RV Forum
Sunline User Photos

Go Back   Sunline Coach Owner's Club > Sunline Club Community Forums > Introduce Yourself
Click Here to Login

Join Sunline Club Forums Today

Old 05-11-2018, 07:17 PM   #1

SUN #10508
rluvk95 is an unknown quantity at this point
Sad New Owner

Just joined the Sunline club but am having a tough start. I just towed my 1988 Saturn T-1550 home tonight only to discover that there is rot in the front and back walls that I missed.
Sooo, I guess it's off to work I go. I'm sure I'm not the only one that has had this issue. And I'm sure that there are probably some very helpful posting from that that have bravely fought the rot battle before me. Any direction to helpful links would be appreciated.

Old 05-11-2018, 09:09 PM   #2

SUN #8893
Thomascine is an unknown quantity at this point
Hi rluvk95. Welcome and congrats on your Sunny! I say congrats because it is all fixable. I know of two threads of repairing T1550s. I am just finishing up mine (1987). Another is by Irishman. I'm sure there are more but those are the two that I know of right now. Mine is a little long because I had no idea what I was doing and needed a lot of help.

http://www.sunlineclub.com/forums/f7...air-17458.html

Sunline Coach Owner's Club - Irishman's Album: 1987 Saturn 1550 Rebuild

You've come to the right place. There are knowledgeable people on here who are more than willing to coach you along the way so ask away.

When you get a chance post some pics to give them an idea of what your looking at. It helps them help you. Can't wait to see it.

Tommie

Old 05-11-2018, 10:38 PM   #3

SUN #89
JohnB is on a distinguished road
Welcome rluvk95!

Sorry to hear on your rotted walls part.

While these 2 threads are not a 1550, the methods used to take apart the camper and fix the rot with pics may help. There is a lot of detail in there. There are other fixer upper posts too.

This is at the moment is more on how to take the camper apart. As it is still "all apart"...
http://www.sunlineclub.com/forums/f7...avy-17684.html

This is take apart and repair.
http://www.sunlineclub.com/forums/f7...avy-16834.html

Ask any and all questions. Consider starting a post in the maintenance and repairs forum on your rebuild as this will help you and others who follow.

Best of luck to you

John

Google Custom Search For Sunline Owners Club
JohnB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-2018, 05:27 AM   #4

SUN #10508
rluvk95 is an unknown quantity at this point
Thanks guys for your responses and for the information. When I'm ready to actually tackle the project, I'll post in the maintenance section
Thanks again!
Old 05-13-2018, 02:16 PM   #5

SUN #10476
Rt.239Design is an unknown quantity at this point
I am right there with you.. I just bought my first camper without really knowing what to look for.(shame on me for taking a person on their word) This site has so much info its scary! The robber on my roof looks ok... but as I'm going around cleaning, and resealing and caulking, I realized that a lot of the plywood under the rubber is gone! What do I do know?? I am going to start my own post but I just wanted to chime in and let you know your not alone..
Old 05-13-2018, 05:29 PM   #6

SUN #7990
BenB is an unknown quantity at this point
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rt.239Design View Post
I am right there with you.. I just bought my first camper without really knowing what to look for.(shame on me for taking a person on their word) This site has so much info its scary! The robber on my roof looks ok... but as I'm going around cleaning, and resealing and caulking, I realized that a lot of the plywood under the rubber is gone! What do I do know?? I am going to start my own post but I just wanted to chime in and let you know your not alone..
If you haven't and have some time the link JohnB posted above will show you how these are constructed. We found the same problem on my camper (the one in the link) right after it was purchased. Sunline did not use plywood under the rubber on most of thier builds. A 0.80" "bud board" was used, almost like heavy duty cardboard. These are not walk on roofs and will not hold load like a plywood contrusted one does. When water gets in it deteriorates and only the rubber is left. This will leave what I can best describe as a rubber band type feel when you press on it. It will push down and pop back like there is nothing underneath. Its is fixable and depending on how bad the entire may not have to be replaced. JohnB repaired the back few feet of one last summer without have to remove the entire roof.

Sent from my SM-G900P using Tapatalk

Current Camper: 2006 Sunline T-264SR
Previous Camper: 1998 Coleman Mesa
Tow Vehicle: 2002 Chevrolet Avalanche 2500, 8.1L, 4X4
DirecLink Brake Controller, Draw-Tite Ultra Frame Receiver, Reese HP Trunnion Bar Hitch W/ HP DC
BenB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-13-2018, 10:11 PM   #7

SUN #89
JohnB is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rt.239Design View Post
The robber on my roof looks ok... but as I'm going around cleaning, and resealing and caulking, I realized that a lot of the plywood under the rubber is gone!
HI Rt, 239Design,

Your toy hauler "might" have a "partial" walk on roof. See this pic from your album.

The TH's where special breed, they got some level of a walk on roof as standard. I just do not know how far it goes. It may stop at the end of the roof railing or the roof AC unit and the rest may be the standard Sunline bud board (heavy corrugate) roof which feels very different.(much softer, non walk on).

How do you know your plywood (OSB actually) gone and where is it gone?

If the bud board is wet and gone, the roof rubber will feel like a inner tube bouncy feel. Don't know how else to describe it. If the bud board is intact, then it feels stiffer then the tire tube feeling but not solid like plywood under it.

Hope this helps.

John

Google Custom Search For Sunline Owners Club
JohnB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-14-2018, 07:42 AM   #8

SUN #123
Sunline Fan is an unknown quantity at this point
Quote:
Originally Posted by JohnB View Post
If the bud board is wet and gone, the roof rubber will feel like a inner tube bouncy feel. Don't know how else to describe it. If the bud board is intact, then it feels stiffer then the tire tube feeling but not solid like plywood under it.
Yeah, when there's a ladder and side rail up there, there should be some degree of walk on roof up there. I'd be surprised if plywood rotted out completely, but I guess it's possible. Usually when a roof was partial walk on, they stenciled not to walk beyond a certain point.

I would describe dry bud board like if you were to suspend a flat plastic ruler at the ends and try pushing in the middle. Stiff, but not solid.

2007 T-286SR Cherry/Granola, #6236, original owner, current mileage: 9473.8 (as of 6/18/21)
1997 T-2653 Blue Denim, #5471
1979 12 1/2' MC, Beige & Avocado, #4639
Past Sunlines: '97 T-2653 #5089, '94 T-2251, '86 T-1550, '94 T-2363, '98 T-270SR
Sunline Fan is offline   Reply With Quote