Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
Sunline RV Forum
Sunline User Photos

Go Back   Sunline Coach Owner's Club > Sunline Club Community Forums > Introduce Yourself
Click Here to Login

Join Sunline Club Forums Today

Old 02-09-2011, 07:01 AM   #1

SUN #1879
OhhWell is an unknown quantity at this point
Our first TT, it's a sunline

Hi,

We just picked up a '94 T-2770 a couple weekends ago.

This is our first TT. We tent camped for many years but after a few really wet nights at Ft Desoto, we picked up an old 1980 Starcraft Pop-up for cheap. AFter I took the top off, replaced the cables, fixed all the rotten wood, repainted and resealed the whole thing, the Tarp started ripping lol. I think we used it once and then sold it for cheap.

The pop-up was convenient but we knew we wanted to go up to a travel trailer, especially since we are a family of 4 and now have 3 large dogs that will come with us most of the time.

The sunline was the first one we went to look at in person and knew it was right. The only thing I haven't tried out yet is the water heater but everything else seems to work perfectly (Except the little fan on the vent in the bathroom). There are no leaks that I can find which is good considering the heavy rain and hail we had a few weeks ago. The silicon or whatever is used to seal the seems is all dry and cracking however so I will have to scrape and re-seal it all when the sun decides to be out one of these weekends.

Will the roof support some of my weight for me to lean on it when trying to reach things like the AC unit to re-seal?

Anyhow, it seems to be a realy nice Travel trailer and pulled real well even without Sway bars or even the brakes hooked up. Although it takes away from the space in the common areas a bit, the HUGE bathroom is amazing. I don't think I've ever seen a real glass walled shower in one of these things before.

I'll put up some pictures of it soon. Luckly, the owner had every single manual or I'm sure I would have a ton of questions already heheh.

-Patrick

Former trailers - '94 T-2770
'02 t-2753
'08 Keystone Sprinter 299BHSS
OhhWell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2011, 10:35 AM   #2

SUN #123
Sunline Fan is an unknown quantity at this point
Hi Patrick,

Congrats on your new TT. The 2770 is an uncommon model, so you probably won't see another one like it, especially in Florida.

It's good that you want to re-seal the roof. Many people don't know that this needs to be done, and yours is certainly past its prime for the original sealant. You're lucky that rain is the only thing preventing you...up north here, even when we do have a nice day this time of year, there's a lot of white stuff in the way...

No, the roof won't support you to walk on it. You can however lay down some pieces of plywood to span between the rafters. One word of caution though, since I assume the coach has been in the Florida sun for a while, chances are the rubber is pretty brittle. You probably will want to put down some towels or pieces of carpet on the roof before putting a sharp board down there. The good news is, once you get all the components in the roof sealed in the center, the edge seams are easy to do from a ladder. I'm assuming you do have a rubber roof, since that model should have had one, but it's possible it was custom made with aluminum. If you have seams going across the trailer every few feet, let us know since that's a different procedure.

Basically, all you have to do is try to remove all the loose pieces of sealant (a heat lamp will help). Then, go over the entire area with new sealant. You can purchase it at pretty much any RV dealer by the tube. For a roof that size, you will probably need 3 tubes, possibly 4 depending on how much you have to remove.

The stuff you want to purchase is called Dicor Self Leveling Sealant, known by part number 501 in many places. It should say that on the tube. There is a non-self leveling version, but that's used for things on the side of the unit, such as above your front and rear clearance lights.

Jon

2007 T-286SR Cherry/Granola, #6236, original owner, current mileage: 9473.8 (as of 6/18/21)
1997 T-2653 Blue Denim, #5471
1979 12 1/2' MC, Beige & Avocado, #4639
Past Sunlines: '97 T-2653 #5089, '94 T-2251, '86 T-1550, '94 T-2363, '98 T-270SR
Sunline Fan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2011, 05:50 PM   #3

SUN #1879
Thanks for the good info and the quick reply. Maybe the weather will allow me to start on that this weekend. I have an adjustable Heat solding reflow station that may be usefull removing the old seal if you think that would work. It can start out at just warm.

I uploaded a bunch of pics from it to the Photos section. Hopefully this link works.

http://www.sunlineclub.com/forums/me...albums108.html

When I have more time, I will try to get you some info along with the VIN.

-Patrick

'02 t-2753
Old 02-09-2011, 06:46 PM   #4

SUN #264
Steve Collins is an unknown quantity at this point
Nothing hotter than a 1500 watt hair dryer is all you need.

'12 F250 4x4 Super Duty PowerStroke 6.7 diesel
2011 to present: '11 Cougar 326MKS
1999 to 2011: '99 Sunline T-2453
SUN264 * Amateur Radio kd2iat monitoring 146.52
Steve Collins is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2011, 06:55 PM   #5

SUN #89
JohnB is on a distinguished road
Hi Patrick

Welcome to Sunline Owners Club! Congrats on your new coach. And I must admit, that is for sure a delux shower stall.... WOW

I also noticed your kitchen stove. Boy that is a nicer cook top then the new ones. The newer ones are 3 burner as opposed to your 4 burner. I have a large griddle I use for eggs/pancakes and on a 3 burner setup, it does not work well. Have to keep rotating the griddle to get all the sides hot and not warp the pan. And on the back 2 burners it does not cut it either.

Your picture question about the thermostat, it very well could be the original.

You asked about the fresh water tank, if it is not under the camper it may be under the bed inside. Some floor plans have them in side. Sunline Fan may be able to confirm which ones have inside fresh tanks

You mentioned the roof, see this post it may help to augment Sunline Fans good words http://www.sunlineclub.com/forums/f7...1-a-11508.html

You mentioned a soldering station, h'mm do you mean a heat iron? If so that may be a problem. A heat gun used a good distance away, a hair dryer, basically hot air heat works well. Just do not stand in one spot a real long time to over heat. Then use a real dull ended scraper and up it comes. Dull so it does not tear the rubber.

And since your in FLA, if you just have a good 90 to 100F day the old lap sealant will come right up with no problem all by itself.

Good luck and happy camping

John

PS Nice dogs too!

Google Custom Search For Sunline Owners Club
JohnB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2011, 10:10 AM   #6

SUN #1879
John,

I bought a smaller cast iron Griddle a while back and it has not fit on any stove in any house we have had but it fits perfect on this camping stove! The reflow station I referenced is kinda like a heat gun with very good controll on the heat but I think a hair dryer will be much more conveniant.

I think the fresh water must be below the sink and fridge area on the inside. I can hear the water pump operating in there and it makes the most sense.

Yeah, that shower seems quite unique. It would not be for everyone since it deos obviously take away from the common areas to have a bathroom that big but for us, it will be a big plus. We are planning on dragging it with us to TX next month to try it out and on the way out we will be stopping overnight in a Walmart lot somewhere. A nice hot shower after 12 hours of driving sounds great before bed.

Anyway, we are very excited to start using this camper. Hopefully I will get alot of the resealing done on the roof and seems this weekend. I still have to get and wire a brake controller at some point too. I am glad I found this forum though. People here seem very friendly and helpfull!

-Pat

'02 t-2753
Old 02-10-2011, 11:25 AM   #7

SUN #264
Steve Collins is an unknown quantity at this point
Your fresh water tank will be within 2 feet of the fill door on the outside roadside of the trailer. There should also be a small drain valve on the outside roadside fairly close to the fill, but down just above floor level.

If the fill door and drain are well forward of the tandems, then the tank is most likely under the couch if it is a Flex-Steel sitting on top of a cabinet about 16" tall.

If the fill door and drain are right next to or to the rear of the tandems, then the tank is probably under the fridge and sink. But I suspect you will find the tank under the couch as placing the tank under the kitchen would eliminate too much storage that is pretty standard in Sunline galleys. There are normally drawers right to the floor under the stove and sink.

'12 F250 4x4 Super Duty PowerStroke 6.7 diesel
2011 to present: '11 Cougar 326MKS
1999 to 2011: '99 Sunline T-2453
SUN264 * Amateur Radio kd2iat monitoring 146.52
Steve Collins is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2011, 06:07 PM   #8

SUN #1475
JB2004 is an unknown quantity at this point
Nice unit !!! thanks for posting the pics, you have a very well kept trailer. You won't find a forum with nicer people who offer their advise and experiances and genuinely care. Best of luck with you new to you Sunline !

Jeff & Beckey
2020 F-150 XLT
1998 Sunline Solaris T-2053
JB2004 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-2011, 06:25 AM   #9

SUN #1879
I found the Fresh Water tank and it was under the sink and range. I pulled the bottom drawer out and there it was, right above the wheel well. I am happy it is there because that means both fresh and grey tanks are neutral to tongue weight. Our hitch is only rated for 1000# TW with WD and with most of the storage at the front of the TT so I was stressing a little since we will be carrying fresh water on our maiden voyage.

'02 t-2753