Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
Sunline RV Forum
Sunline User Photos

Go Back   Sunline Coach Owner's Club > Sunline Club Community Forums > Introduce Yourself
Click Here to Login

Join Sunline Club Forums Today

Old 10-10-2010, 06:05 PM   #1

SUN #1588
Pogo is an unknown quantity at this point
Newbies looking at a '98 T2475

My wonderful wife and I met some nice folks that have this Sunline that they bought new. Due to health, they cannot use it anymore, and they also cannot maintain it. The roof leaked in front, (It is now under a carport), and I am planning to just replace it. Their son has already replaced the front ceiling and floor. The home is is VERY nice shape otherwise, but I know that I will have to go thru it because it has just been sitting for a few years.. He is asking $1,000 for it and we are very interested. Do you have any info on replacing a EPDM roof?

Old 10-10-2010, 08:38 PM   #2

SUN #264
Steve Collins is an unknown quantity at this point
Replacing the entire roof is a very big job. You will need to remove just about everything to lay new a new membrane. And you will need to re-caulk everything up there.

There are several threads in Repairs and Maintenance about EPDM roofs, and in short, you may be much better off to use Eternabond tape and simply repair it. It may only need re-caulking with the right Dicor caulk.

'12 F250 4x4 Super Duty PowerStroke 6.7 diesel
2011 to present: '11 Cougar 326MKS
1999 to 2011: '99 Sunline T-2453
SUN264 * Amateur Radio kd2iat monitoring 146.52
Steve Collins is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-12-2010, 01:17 PM   #3

SUN #1588
Pogo is an unknown quantity at this point
Thanks, Steve for your help. So, does no one ever replace their roofs? Sounds good to me. I thought that the rubber roofs deteriorated from being in the hot sun. I just don't want to have to always be repairing another part. But, I have never had one and I am learning from you. Sounds like you have repaired yours.
Old 10-12-2010, 01:40 PM   #4

SUN #264
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pogo View Post
Thanks, Steve for your help. So, does no one ever replace their roofs? Sounds good to me. I thought that the rubber roofs deteriorated from being in the hot sun. I just don't want to have to always be repairing another part. But, I have never had one and I am learning from you. Sounds like you have repaired yours.
I have not heard of anyone doing a complete replacement on a Sunline, yet. I say "yet" because the first rubber roofs are just beginning to approach 20 years of service. Someone probably has done a replacement, but it might not be documented here on SOC.

The EPDM roofs are spec'ed to last 20 years or more. Early replacement might be necessary if there is major physical damage. Yes, they are designed to slowly disintegrate, but not in 12 years. My '99's roof is still in very good shape and it has never been stored indoors.

Actually, except for some minor scraping and recaulking with Dicor self-leveling caulk, it has not been repaired at all.

However, there are several threads in Repairs and Maintenance regarding repairs to the rubber roofs. Several deal with re-caulking the roof as periodic maintenance. Others are about actual repairs, usually along an edges where the roof meets the walls of the trailer.

Dicor - The Components RVs are Born With has extensive information on care, maintenance, and repairs of EPDM roofs.

rv.net may have some useful information, too. There are literally thousands of owners of all brands of RV's over there.

FWIW, even a large rip or tear in the EPDM is easily repaired with Eternabond tape and Dicor caulk. Since the EPDM is actually glued down to the substrate, it is not likely to deform very much.

Old 10-12-2010, 01:45 PM   #5

SUN #264
Separate from the roof leak, if the rest of that trailer is in very good or better condition, $1,000 is a real bargain.

The interior of our '99 looks much the same as it did when new. Probably the worst is the carpet is beginning to wear, and the vinyl floor is also showing its age a bit. The aluminum skin has picked up the inevitable small dents here and there and that is just the nature of that.

If the damage from that leak is minimal, you might just have a keeper on your hands. Even if the damage is more substantial, a number of our folks here have done major repairs like that and can easily coach you on the process.

Old 10-13-2010, 07:31 PM   #6

SUN #89
JohnB is on a distinguished road
Hi Pogo

Steve helped you on the roof. Can't add a whole lot to that other then when the actual time comes, some 15 to 20 plus years they do make EPDM roof re coating products. This one I came across not to long ago that has large promise. RV Roof Repair with Liquid Roof and Liquid Rubber Never used it yet but if I ever need it, that may be the one.

However like Steve stated I doubt you are at this point yet.

If you are wood working handy you can repair the damage in the camper and if the rest of the unit is in good shape, $1,000 is not that bad. Have to watch out I myself do not end up with one of these fixer uppers... Key is get all the rot out. And any questionable wood you can treat with Wood preservation, rot repair, and restoration using epoxy resin on boats and homes. In fact you can even build up some boards as needed. It will help kill off any fungus in the wood creating a dry rot situation from starting on infected wood.

Good luck, hope this helps and post progress pics if you get it. We are glad to help and learn too as you go

John

Google Custom Search For Sunline Owners Club
JohnB is offline   Reply With Quote