Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
Sunline RV Forum
Sunline User Photos

Go Back   Sunline Coach Owner's Club > Sunline Club Community Forums > Introduce Yourself
Click Here to Login

Join Sunline Club Forums Today

Old 06-05-2018, 10:23 PM   #1

SUN #10562
Vacallum85 is an unknown quantity at this point
New sunline satellite owner

Hey , just picked up a 19' sunline satellite camper and what turned from a really good condition camper into a full remodel lol , still going ahead with it , would love any help and ideas with this remodel ,thanks everyone

Old 06-06-2018, 04:45 AM   #2

SUN #2612
RockDodger is an unknown quantity at this point
Welcome to the club. I have an '87 Satellite. It is structurally sound, but I have had to rebuild a few things. Last year I gutted the front end and replaced all the wood framework, paneling, ceiling wiring and water lines. We had toyed with the idea of buying a new camper, but this one rolls good and straight, and isn't bent anywhere. So, with all the labor I've put into it, we have decided to keep it and just keep improving and remodeling. It's worth it because this 31 year old Sunline trailer is still better than some new ones I've seen latley. Good luck with your project. You won't find any lack of help around here.

Terry & Marsha/Northeast Illinois
1987 T-2153, 2016 Ford F250 Super Duty 4x4
RockDodger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-06-2018, 07:14 PM   #3

SUN #89
JohnB is on a distinguished road
Welcome and congrats on your new camper!

We are here to help give you as we can and that is pretty much anything on the camper. Just create a post, ideally with pics of your situation and we will help.

Good luck with the remodel!

John

Google Custom Search For Sunline Owners Club
JohnB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-06-2018, 07:38 PM   #4

SUN #10562
Will post pics soon
Old 06-06-2018, 07:42 PM   #5

SUN #10562
Would love any ideas on upgrading the hot water cylinder to maybe an instant water heater,just an idea I had to keep the wife happy . Also if anyone has any ideas on upgrading faucets and fittings , this th ing has had no upgrades since built and would like to keep the charm but have more comfortable features . I've gutted it completely and will build new bedframes and seats and table . Can't wait ! . I'm currently servingnin the Virginia national guard and have 2 weeks training so I can start afterwards
Old 06-06-2018, 08:36 PM   #6

SUN #89
JohnB is on a distinguished road
We have had a few club members convert to the "instant" on demand water heaters but not a lot of talk on it. Not many pics of it. On other forums some have reported the mixing valve can get mineral build up and then the instant hot water does not mix right and you get super hot. The water you get at campgrounds may be problematic in a camping setting with that style heater. I have not used one so I do not know first hand, but for sure research it out before converting.

A few other things to think through with the "on demand" water heater. Many of them are only 120 volts AC as they use a lot of power. In our case we do a fair amount of "boondocking" camping off the grid. No power post to plug into. We use the water heater on gas as well as the fridge and we can sustain many days on 12 volt batteries. Recharging them as we go, we can camp this way close to indefinitely if we want. In our case we would not want to give up the more pristine camp sites without power to have to be attached to the power post.

But this is a personal specific choice. If you only camp with electric then not having access to a power post to plug into is not a concern. While it takes 20 minutes to heat full cold to ready to use hot water in the gas/electric tank type, once it's hot then using camping conserving practices and we do not run out of hot water.

If you make it super easy to use a lot of water, hot or cold in a camper setting unless you use full hookup sites with access to sewer at the site, you will be blue toting (portable dump tanks) very often to the dump station due to running out of water... Another thing to think through. While we can get 4 days using out onboard fresh water supply, it took some getting use to and conserving water. Now once "trained" it is really not a problem.

On faucet upgrades, yes for sure. The big box lumber yards ones will fit without much issue. We did our bath sink that way and bought a new kitchen mono lever one just never made it to putting it in. Heads up again, most RV faucets have a water restrictor in them to limit flow like 3 gpm max. The home ones do not = run out of fresh tank water faster. I had to add ball valves in the bath supply to tweak the water flow down or else we would never make it 4 days. May not make it 2 days... the waste down the drain at 6 to 8 gpm does not take long to drain a fresh tank just washing your hands. You can't help it, it comes out too fast like at home.

Have fun with your remodel. It will be great when your done. Looking forward to the pics

Hope this helps

John

Google Custom Search For Sunline Owners Club
JohnB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-07-2018, 08:04 AM   #7

SUN #2097
mainah is an unknown quantity at this point
The instant heaters have their place but to me a camper is not one. You may have endless hot water but not endless water supply and what goes in must come out. My water heater is used generally at night after it's cycled through the pilot light alone will keep the 6 gallions piping hot over night. Yeah all the plumbing is standard size hardware store stuff faucets will be either 4 or 8 inch centers and the camper plastic lines/fittings will fit so the sky and budget are the limiting factors.
Old 06-07-2018, 08:31 PM   #8

SUN #10562
Thanks, I plan to turn this into a trailer for only weekends away and at trailer parks . So I'm planning on making it adapted to that. I've already gutted out the dining area and sleeping area as well as removed most of the walls to allow drying from water damage and replacing timber . I'm doing this to customize to my wife's liking as she hates camping but allowed me to get this to keep me busy and shed accompany me away for weekends too . So with that she was shocked at the size of the hot water tank and I had to explain this was a camper not a spa 😉, I personally would just utilise the campground showers so it's really for my wife's comfort . Also I've got a plastic coupling on my shower plumbing that is leaking like crazy once the pump is turned on. So that's being fixed asap ,