Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
Sunline RV Forum
Sunline User Photos

Go Back   Sunline Coach Owner's Club > Sunline Club Community Forums > Introduce Yourself
Click Here to Login

Join Sunline Club Forums Today

Old 08-01-2008, 04:45 PM   #1

SUN #664
Lil Stevie
New owner of a 1989 Sunline C-1150 sportster truck camper

Hi,
I have posted a few inquiries so I thought I should introduce myself as I expect to be using this site quite often.
I have just gone out on Long term disability (8 major back and neck operations took their toll), which looks like it will be pernament.
Back in the early 1970's I was a co-driver for Bekins van lines for a few years. We put about 10,000 miles a month on the truck (a old 1964 bubble nose white!) so we were not in anyplace for any length of time. I had jotted down a number of places I wanted to go back to sometime. I guess I figure it is sometime right now!
So I have been looking for a camper for a few months and started out thinking I wanted a large self contained unit. After doing some research it became apparent to me that I didn't need something that big for 1 or 2 people. I was never fond of towing something around so I came across a Truck Camper at a show and thought that it would be just right.
It remains to be seen as right now I only have the camper and no truck to put it on!! Hopefully within the next few months I can get that situation fixed and have a nice comfortable pickup truck to slide under my camper. As a family we only took the boys (I have two grown sons) camping once. We were meeting some friends at Lake George and planned on a week of fun and relaxation. On the second day one of the guys developed a cyst, in a place where no cyst should ever go!! I took him the the Glens Falls emergency room and he spent the next two days there. When I picked him up and brought him back to camp he and his wife and their children and his innertube had had enough and they left. Being as this was our first experience we decided we had had all the fun we could expect and went home early ourselves.
What makes me think I am going to last a year in my camper is anyones guess! Because of my disability I do need to check into the medical center Hospital here so it won't be for more than a month at a time but my plan is to come back here , see how the wife is doing, invite her for the next months trip and then go again. I can get most anywhere I want to in 15 days!
I am going to try to power the camper with solar PV panels and heat the hot water with a home made solar thermal water heater (or pre-heater to be more exact) so anyone that has experience in that area that wants to share please know I am all ears. For that matter any insite that someone wants to share with a newbi like me will be greatly accepted. Right now I am trying to figure out how to power up the camper without a truck to plug in and no 115 volt power close enough to grab onto. It seems odd to me that the camper isn't self powered but the guy I bought it from (he used it once in the past 5 years) says it is either plugged into a 115 volt line or into the connector from the trucks battery or it is dark!
One of my son's told me that he had seen a place on line where if you are going to a certain city they would try to find some packages that need to be delivered and that some people siad they made travellin money that way. I guess I would worry what was in the packages but I am curious if anyone has done this before?