Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
Sunline RV Forum
Sunline User Photos

Go Back   Sunline Coach Owner's Club > Sunline Club Community Forums > Introduce Yourself
Click Here to Login

Join Sunline Club Forums Today

Old 09-21-2012, 07:55 AM   #1

SUN #4407
underdog is an unknown quantity at this point
New owner near Pittsburgh.

Hello all, I posted in the TT section and got some good advice on our purchase. We towed it home yesterday so we are officially Sunline owners. It is a 90 SunRay T205 in really nice shape for the age

Dealer had it listed for $2900. I took cash, offered 2 grand and they took it.

The good
Tires dated 2010
AC works great
Awning works with no rips or tears.
Upholstery looks new
Undercarriage, tanks look perfect.
The ENTIRE floor has be replaced and covered with hardwood laminate.
Story is the previous owner has a friend that built concession trailers. They lifted the entire shell and replaced all of the floor. I have looked under all the cabinets and compartments and it is all covered with the hardwood. So I tend to believe the story. In any case, the trailer seems rock solid.
The roof has been repaired with a new section. Despite a lot of recent rain, I can find no evidence of moisture anywhere. The dealer tech said it doesn't leak.
No objectionable odors. It almost smells new inside.

The not so good.
Fridge works on electric but gas won't light.
Waterheater won't light.
Running lights could use a little help.

So far I'm very happy with it. I'm hoping the Fridge doesn't end up a large issue. I figure the basic cooling unit must be intact or it wouldn't work at all. I replaced the water heater in my old camper so that doesn't concern me as much. Everything else just looks like needing a little TLC, exterior cleaning, painting ect.

I have my own autobody bussiness and am used to fixing my own stuff. So a little work on it doesn't bother me. I'd say the worst work would have been the water damage and that's already been done.

Old 09-21-2012, 08:07 AM   #2

SUN #64
MACK C-85 is an unknown quantity at this point
Welcome to the Club and sounds like you got a Great Deal!!

You didn't say anything about the stove not lighting, but are you sure there is LP in the tank(s)?? I know that's an obvious check, but I know how many times I've missed obvious things!!!

Mack

2004 Dodge Ram 2500 Club Cab 4x4 CTD
2007 Sunline Solaris T-276-SR: Misty Blue/Cherry
2001 Dodge Ram 1500 Reg Cab 4x4 OFF-ROAD
MACK C-85 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-21-2012, 08:17 AM   #3

SUN #4407
Yeah I had the stove burning to purge the air in the lines. My old camper fridge was a bear to get lit until you got the air out. The dealer had a check list and it was noted a problem with the fridge on gas and water heater.

This is some sort of auto lighting model 2401. The pilot light on the front doesn't light. I'm gambling it is some replaceable part and not the whole unit.
Old 09-21-2012, 10:32 AM   #4

SUN #128
Tweety
WOW did you get a deal!!! Even if you have to replace the fridge it's still a deal. And beautiful condition. Love the floors. I'm sure there will be some folks coming along shortly to give you advice on the fridge.
2012 Arctic Fox 30U, SUNLINES - 2006 2753 "Tweety", 2007 QUE "QUEtSE", 2364, 1660
Tweety is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-21-2012, 11:58 AM   #5

SUN #4407
Thanks, that makes me feel better! I parked it in the pole barn, hooked the electric up and set the fridge on AC. Just to verify the cooling unit itself does work. From what I have been able to find out so far, I'm thinking it's some sort of electrical issue with the ignition and reignitor systems.

I'm guessing the deal had a lot to do with school in, $4.00 gal gas and winter coming. This was good for me cause I have time to tinker with it before next season.

Oh BTW, We are Jim and Laurie. This is me and Sebastian...the reason we need a camper.
Old 09-21-2012, 03:26 PM   #6

SUN #64
MACK C-85 is an unknown quantity at this point
Quote:
Oh BTW, We are Jim and Laurie. This is me and Sebastian...the reason we need a camper.
Ah, yes....the infamous dog-house on wheels!!

One of our three reasons, our 90lb English Bulldog, Dudley:

Mack

2004 Dodge Ram 2500 Club Cab 4x4 CTD
2007 Sunline Solaris T-276-SR: Misty Blue/Cherry
2001 Dodge Ram 1500 Reg Cab 4x4 OFF-ROAD
MACK C-85 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-21-2012, 05:39 PM   #7

SUN #4407
Yep, I sold my old Class C after my black Lab passed on, gas prices went nuts and I had a temporary lifestyle change. I bought it because of him. Met Laurie and the retriever came with her. Find myself in the same position. If I want to go places, the dog goes too. I've accepted the reality that we will always have one...a dog and an RV.
Old 09-21-2012, 06:51 PM   #8

SUN #123
Sunline Fan is an unknown quantity at this point
Congrats Jim, that was a great deal! One of the nicest StarRays I've seen in a while.
2007 T-286SR Cherry/Granola, #6236, original owner, current mileage: 9473.8 (as of 6/18/21)
1997 T-2653 Blue Denim, #5471
1979 12 1/2' MC, Beige & Avocado, #4639
Past Sunlines: '97 T-2653 #5089, '94 T-2251, '86 T-1550, '94 T-2363, '98 T-270SR
Sunline Fan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-22-2012, 03:55 AM   #9

SUN #4407
Thanks again. I continue to learn about it as I poke around. I was into the circuit breaker area under the tub. They cut out a small square of the new floor to gain clearance for the tub drain P trap. So I was able to examine a cross section. The new floor is 3/4" plywood not OSB or Partical Board. Also, the hardwood is actually Resilent Vinyl sheeting not laminate. Looks so real it fooled me. From what I've read the new Resilient materials are actually very good. I also could see new insulation and some new pieces of the wood structure. There are Fernco connectors where they evidently cut sewer lines to do the lift. Looks like they did a very thorough and professional job.

Reason I was into the breaker panel was I lost AC power to everything but the AC. It's on it's own breaker. I discovered this while messing with the fridge. It wasn't cooling on AC and my 12v meter readings were now only 11.5 v. First I thought OH NO, the converter is bad too. Then I thought the breaker was bad so went to Lowes and got another one. Nope not it. This is when I started looking in compartments for any wire connections and checking outlets. Then I found the culprit, the ground fault in the bathroom was tripped. Not sure why it would be wired in such a way that tripping that would shut down the whole RV? Perhaps it's a safety thing for the outside outlets ect.

We got the fridge lit on gas manually and it was starting to cool before I came in for the night. A new Atwood water heater is about $260 so I'm just going to replace that. I feeling much better about the camper now!
Old 09-22-2012, 06:29 AM   #10

SUN #4407
Another update. Went down to the barn and the fridge is ice cold. I had the therm set up high and it made a little ice on a cup of water I set inside. But best part...I shut off the gas and noticed the light blink. So I did the lighting procedure and it now works perfectly!!
Maybe it was just the battery low?? Whatever, I'm really pleased.

I'm now thinking I need to take a closer look at the water heater before I jump into buying one.
Old 09-22-2012, 07:29 PM   #11

SUN #768
Gene is an unknown quantity at this point
[QUOTE=underdog;108179] ...Then I found the culprit, the ground fault in the bathroom was tripped. ...QUOTE]That one has gotten me a couple of times!!!

Looks like you got a good deal. ENJOY

Gene & DW Ginny
2002 Sunline T-2363
2008 Toyota 4-runner 4wd 4.7L V-8
Reese Dual Cam straightline - P3 Brake controller
Gene is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-26-2012, 08:15 PM   #12

SUN #89
JohnB is on a distinguished road
Welcome Underdog.

Nice camper and your best friend riding in the cart too!

Happy camping.

John

Google Custom Search For Sunline Owners Club
JohnB is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 09-27-2012, 04:11 PM   #13

SUN #1475
JB2004 is an unknown quantity at this point
Good for you !!! Nice Trailer, i'll bet you figure out that water heater issue and get it running before long. Enjoy!

Jeff & Beckey
2020 F-150 XLT
1998 Sunline Solaris T-2053
JB2004 is offline   Reply With Quote