Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
Sunline RV Forum
Sunline User Photos

Go Back   Sunline Coach Owner's Club > Sunline Club Community Forums > Introduce Yourself
Click Here to Login

Join Sunline Club Forums Today

Old 12-11-2018, 11:45 AM   #1

SUN #11002
aaroningrao is an unknown quantity at this point
New Owner 1979 Sunline 21RB

Hi folks, I just purchased this 1979 21RB. I am a huge fan of 1970's graphic design, so when I saw the stripes on the side I fell in love immediately. Ill be doing some work inside and making some modifications.
-flipping the axles
-removing couch and building queen size bed frame
-removing kitchen table and counter top to have new wooden ones made by local Amish peeps.
-painting interior white
-removing ceiling AC unit altogether and replacing with 14" Fantastic fan
-installing 4 solar mono panels. 2x100watt 12v & 2x200watt 12v for total of 600watt, wired in parallel. Charging a single, 200ah Pure Gel Batt to power a 1500watt pure sine inverter. I'll be running a computer monitor and laptop, among other normal small things like coffee grinder, blender interior lights etc.
-replacing all interior lighting with LED's
-Installing new vinyl flooring.
-Adding backsplash to kitchen counter area.
-4 new tire-remove stove and hood to repaint with high temp oven paint.
-remove wheels and check bearings.

Any information about the Dometic fridge would be helpful. I know nothing about them. It's a typical 2 way LP/110

I'll need to figure out the rear bumper situation. I need to attach a hitch mounted bike rack with a single bike for a total of about 75/80lb. This will create a torque situation that could make the bumper fail. I dont want to take any chances. I need to either remove it and install a more robust bumper or figure out how to better secure the existing.

Any thoughts, ideas, things I might need to know that I dont know, suggestions and inspirations would be greatly appreciated!

Old 12-11-2018, 07:16 PM   #2

SUN #89
JohnB is on a distinguished road
Welcome!!

Congrats on your new Sunny!

It sounds like you have a number of "to do" projects all lined up. Great!

On the fridge, find a model number and post. It may be inside the door on near the area the door gasket touches. We may be able to hunt down a user manual for you if there is not already one in our files section.

On the rear bike rack, you are right on, do not attach it to the bumper. That will not work as the bumper failures have proven it time after time.

Carrying bikes with a camper is always complex. Tell us what type of tow vehicle you have and we may be able to help suggest some alternatives to the back of the camper that can work for you. While creating a metal bike frame directly to the camper frame may help with the bumper problem, there are still other considerations about why that location is not always the best to use. The first one being it will reduce the loaded tongue weight of the camper with the weight back there. Something that should be realized before doing it to make sure your loaded tongue weight does not go too low once you fully load the camper. Low tongue weight on a camper will create trailer sway when the right unforseen towing conditions come your way. Let us help you suggest something that can work and be OK. What works on some camper floor plans does not always work on all of them.

You already have an A + with the pics! GREAT! This really helps when trying to explain something, we can see what you are up against, plus we always like seeing pics of Sunlines!

Good luck with your project and hope this helps

John

Google Custom Search For Sunline Owners Club
JohnB is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 12-11-2018, 07:55 PM   #3

SUN #11002
Hi John, thanks for the reply and info. I'll get a snap of the fridge model# ASAP and get that info here.

I'll be pulling with a Nissan Xterra Pro4X, which has a 5k tow rating.

The dry weight of the 21RB is 2880 and I'll be carrying about 500/600lbs of stuff.
My last trailer was a 1964 Thunderbolt. About 14ft. Think Shasta. I removed the old flimsy bumper and attached a CURT hitch trailer hitch that was 5ft wide, with 1" grade 8 bolts. I had two bikes and the rack. All told, with the bumper, rack and two bikes, I had 150lbs on the back. I countered that by traveling with my 12gal water tank full, which lucky enough for these purposes, happened to be positioned all the way forward in the trailer. I traveled all over the country, including all the major mountain passes in CO with no issues. As long as I countered the weight, I was OK. I did learn that the scary way...I tinkled my pants a little, pulled over a reassessed. I realized I hadn't countered the weight correctly. That was only 1 week into the year long road trip, so I was lucky enough to learn it quick.
The trailer was only about 1,600 dry and I was probably pulling a total of 2,300lbs. I didn't even have trailer brakes. While that was fine, I would prefer having them. Luckily, the Sunline does.

So I am aware that I would need to counter balance the weight. I'll also by purchasing a wight distribution/sway control hitch.
One of the things I was considering was these joints here...
https://mount-n-lock.com/mnl-cargo-p...bumper-failure
However, I don't know that they would do much good for any torsional flex that may create a failure, in the steel of the bumper itself, in the middle. So, like my last trailer, I was thinking that I may not have a choice about removing the existing and attaching a more robust steel bumper like this one...
https://tinyurl.com/y9by4h89
Again, and as you said, I am certainly open to suggestions here.
Old 12-12-2018, 09:49 AM   #4

SUN #2366
j52wf is an unknown quantity at this point
Yakima has excellent alternatives for carrying bikes on vehicles. I have a rack across the bed of my truck (Bedrack or Bedrock- not sure of the name), along with 3 Aero bike carriers. there is also room for a cargo carrier as well, all the while leaving the floor of the bed available.
Old 12-12-2018, 11:28 AM   #5

SUN #11002
I made a reply with some other info but seems my comments aren’t making it through. Don’t even know if this one will.
Old 12-12-2018, 01:02 PM   #6

SUN #2366
Quote:
Originally Posted by aaroningrao View Post
I made a reply with some other info but seems my comments aren’t making it through. Don’t even know if this one will.
This one did.
Old 12-12-2018, 02:29 PM   #7

SUN #11002
Perhaps it's a case that with attachments or links that the moderator must approve comments? When I tried posting the comment, it did say it needs approval.
WHat's the story there?
As to your comment about racks, I am familiar with Yakima and other brands, as I have worked in the bike industry. I do need to keep the hitch mount rack, because I need to use the rack on my truck when I dont have the trailer attached. So, I probably should have been more specific about the advise I was seeking with respect to the bumper. I was looking for recommendations about engineering type ideas or alternatives for the rear bumper to bolster the strength/safety.
Old 12-12-2018, 02:50 PM   #8

SUN #2366
On my last Sunline, I had a used frame mounted receiver modified and bolted to the trailer frame and also bolted up through the center of the bumper for extra stability. JohnB could probably send some pictures. Make sure to use grade 8 bolts. Or it could be welded to the frame.
Old 12-12-2018, 03:00 PM   #9

SUN #11002
Yesterday, I talked about grade 8 bolts and that exact same thing and included photos, on the comment that hasn't yet been approved yet.
Old 12-12-2018, 04:12 PM   #10

SUN #2366
The approval thing must be new. I made the mistake of not using grade 8 bolts the first time. Put 3 bikes on the receiver. Snapped the bolt heads off and almost lost the bikes. They were about 5 inches from dragging. A passing motorist alerted me.
Old 12-12-2018, 05:48 PM   #11

SUN #89
Hi aaroningrao,

Your post should be viewing now. Sorry one of us did not get on line sooner to approve. In your case, very soon this will not be an issue for you.

I will send you a PM.

Thanks

John

Old 12-12-2018, 06:04 PM   #12

SUN #11002
Quote:
Originally Posted by j52wf View Post
On my last Sunline, I had a used frame mounted receiver modified and bolted to the trailer frame and also bolted up through the center of the bumper for extra stability. JohnB could probably send some pictures. Make sure to use grade 8 bolts. Or it could be welded to the frame.
What kind of sunline was it and what kind of bumper? Any chance you have links or photos?
Thank you!
Old 12-12-2018, 06:18 PM   #13

SUN #2366
Just saw the previously invisible post. My first attempt at bikes on the bumper resulted in exactly your fear. The bumper torqued in the middle from the bouncing weight, not at the ends. Another near disaster. Now, nothing goes on the bumper except the spare.
Old 12-12-2018, 06:21 PM   #14

SUN #89
Hi aaroningrao,

Thanks for the pics of what and why you are up too. First off, glad you realize the weight and balance needs and you have first hand experience on why.

In your case with a small SUV, the pickup truck options we have are not going to work.... I used to have a 2500 Suburban and had similar issues. Now that I have moved to a pickup truck and I have a camper with a A frame strong enough, I mounted a rack on the trailer A frame. In this case it adds tongue weight and you need a big enough truck to handle the added 100 some pounds of added weight and the A frame has to handle it. See here if this helps any http://www.sunlineclub.com/forums/f6...10sr-9554.html

As to other options, some members have made a front fork bike rack holder to go inside the camper. They then can carry them inside. The fork carrier then comes out. I will see if I can find that post as they had pics even. This worked with their floor plan and may not on all floor plans, just passing it along in case it can spark an idea for you to build off of.

I followed your links. There is the bumper hanger reinforcements and then the Curt bolt on receiver. I had my own go around with bikes on the back of the camper and learned from them. Which was "not good"....

I would say, as long as you understand the weight and balance needs and you may be forced to use the rear frame area, I would see the Curt receiver as the better option. The torque tube of the receiver is made to handle the overhung flexing. The bumper setups just have too many issues.

I see you are using a tire holding bike rack verses the top bar hanger ones. The tire holding are for sure better, especially on the back of a camper. The top hanger ones on the camper create a longer lever pulling on the connection.

I'm sure you know, just mentioned it for others following along, make sure the bikes are strapped well to the carrier. When you go over a bump at highway speed the bikes on the back take jolt and then some.

I'll look now for that inside fork mount post.

Hope this helps

John

Old 12-12-2018, 06:33 PM   #15

SUN #11002
Yeah the hitch mount tray racks are best for sure. I have never had a better rack than my Kuat. At $700 it was pricey but worth it. My mountain bike is worth about 5 times as much as my trailer, so security AND securing it is a big deal with me. Especially since a failure wouldn't be catastrophic for me, but the poor people behind me on the road.
The thing about my last trailer is the frame struts stuck out about 4" giving me plenty of platform to place and bolt that receiver. The Sunline has no such room, as the frame struts dont stick out that far. So I thought about leaving the existing bumper on and simply attaching a new right on top, making welds to the frame and bumper to secure it. Im going to have a welding friend take a look to check the efficacy of that idea.
Old 12-12-2018, 06:47 PM   #16

SUN #2366
Quote:
Originally Posted by aaroningrao View Post
What kind of sunline was it and what kind of bumper? Any chance you have links or photos?
Thank you!
JohnB is the current owner of my last Sunline. If he hasn't taken the hitch off, maybe he can send some pics.
Old 12-12-2018, 06:48 PM   #17

SUN #89
Here is a rear mounted receiver to the frame on a 2005 T2499 Sunline. This floor plan has lots of tongue weight so it works on that floor plan

http://www.sunlineclub.com/forums/f7...mper-7771.html

Here is an inside one, just no pics. Again floor plan specific
http://www.sunlineclub.com/forums/f6...ler-12630.html

Here is one with pics that the rear bumper broke off and they added a receiver direct to the frame
http://www.sunlineclub.com/forums/f6...ack-15732.html

Here is one with a homemade rack inside with pics. This is not the fork one I was after but sharing for ideas
http://www.sunlineclub.com/forums/f6...ire-18571.html

If I find the fork mount one I will post. The above hopefully gives you some options.

Thanks

John

Old 12-12-2018, 08:41 PM   #18

SUN #123
Sunline Fan is an unknown quantity at this point
Welcome Aaron! Looks like you found a great trailer there!

You don't show any pics of the ceiling/upper walls, but it's important to identify if you have any water damage before you paint. If it hasn't been done recently, it would be a really good idea to reseal the roof seams first thing in the spring, and tarp it for the winter if you can.

I'll be starting a restoration of my '79 after Christmas, so if you have any questions of how yours should have looked originally, let me know. It's mostly original now, but not complete.
2007 T-286SR Cherry/Granola, #6236, original owner, current mileage: 9473.8 (as of 6/18/21)
1997 T-2653 Blue Denim, #5471
1979 12 1/2' MC, Beige & Avocado, #4639
Past Sunlines: '97 T-2653 #5089, '94 T-2251, '86 T-1550, '94 T-2363, '98 T-270SR
Sunline Fan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-13-2018, 12:03 PM   #19

SUN #1546
apackoftwo is an unknown quantity at this point
Pleeeease post pictures of your updates as they happen! We live seeing pictures
Oh and welcome to the Sunline family 😊

Joan & Miss Emme Lu Who
Full Timing in T-1950 2005 Anniversary Model
1997 6.5L Chevy Turbo Diesel Truck
"Pure Michigan"
Facebook: Apackof2 for the Rd
apackoftwo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-13-2018, 12:05 PM   #20

SUN #1546
apackoftwo is an unknown quantity at this point
Please post pictures of your updates as they happen. We love seeing pictures!!
Oh and welcome to the Sunline family 😊

Joan & Miss Emme Lu Who
Full Timing in T-1950 2005 Anniversary Model
1997 6.5L Chevy Turbo Diesel Truck
"Pure Michigan"
Facebook: Apackof2 for the Rd
apackoftwo is offline   Reply With Quote