Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
Sunline RV Forum
Sunline User Photos

Go Back   Sunline Coach Owner's Club > Sunline Club Community Forums > Introduce Yourself
Click Here to Login

Join Sunline Club Forums Today

Old 10-13-2011, 03:20 PM   #1

SUN #3028
Bakediddy is an unknown quantity at this point
New member, glad I found you all!

Just bought a 2000 Sunline Solaris T2753 from a salvage yard. Must have been ran off the road and for some reason the insurance company totaled it. Has some damage to the right front and right rear corners that I plan to fix. Very excited to find this site, seems like a wealth of information! I'll start off with a newbie question, what does 2753 stand for? I assume "27" is the length? Will post pictures soon!

Thanks!

Old 10-13-2011, 05:39 PM   #2

SUN #123
Sunline Fan is an unknown quantity at this point
Congrats on your new coach! For a 2000 model, the cost to repair the unit is just too high to make it worthwhile for an insurance company. The biggest issue is the lack of available striping and aluminum sourcing. There's just so many different crimp styles of aluminum siding that finding the correct one isn't easy, especially now that Sunline is out of business. Yes, it's possible to re-side the entire trailer, but it costs a lot more. There are ways to just do a section and still prevent water from coming in, but it takes a level of artistry that insurance repair places won't take the time to do.

I've been seeing a lot lately get totaled in NY/VT/PA due to all the flooding out there, so it sounds like yours got off pretty good. Perhaps you could find one of those with some good aluminum?

The 2753 model number is just a floorplan designation. I like this question, I don't think it has been asked before. The length is roughly 27', but in some cases, that's the target length when they start designing it and it can change slightly after that. In your case, your year and model come in at 27'7" total. But as a whole, yes, you can assume the first number as the approximate length.

The latter part of the model number goes way back to 1983 when Sunline converted to the modern model number style. There are many types of model numbers and many in a series. The 53 lies in the 50 series, which are rear bedroom models. A Model 50 typically defines a rear bedroom with a rear lounge and flip up tables, and the lounge pulls out into a big bed. A Model 51 indicates a rear corner double/queen bed. A Model 52 indicates rear twin beds. A Model 53 indicates a rear island bed. There used to be a series of models after that that included various bunk and lounge combos, but they didn't last more than a couple years.

Not many of these combos have lasted through the life of Sunline, but the 53 stood out. It was the only one that lasted through the end, other than the 52 which could be custom ordered in more recent years. Sunline eventually stopped designating these twin bed models as 52s, even though I still refer to them that way to distinguish them.

There's only one break in the 50 Series: the 22' bunkhouse uses 50 and 51, but it doesn't refer to rear bedroom layouts.

Jon

2007 T-286SR Cherry/Granola, #6236, original owner, current mileage: 9473.8 (as of 6/18/21)
1997 T-2653 Blue Denim, #5471
1979 12 1/2' MC, Beige & Avocado, #4639
Past Sunlines: '97 T-2653 #5089, '94 T-2251, '86 T-1550, '94 T-2363, '98 T-270SR
Sunline Fan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-13-2011, 06:13 PM   #3

SUN #3028
Thanks for the info! Assumed the aluminum would be an issue, luckliy the damage is low enough that I should be able to get away with the diamond plating on both the front and the back to replace those panels. Have had a couple motor homes in the past and hated the fact of having another drivetrain to worry about.

Living in PA I have the entire winter to take my time and fix it right.

Very much looking forward to towing this with both my F150 - V8 and my newly purchased 2011 Durango with the Hemi and tow package!
Old 10-13-2011, 07:35 PM   #4

SUN #89
JohnB is on a distinguished road
Welcome Bakediddy

Your model camper is failry common and a nice layout for the space they have.

If will be interesting to see your rebuild, the before, during and after. We all learn from these repair adventures. Feel free to create a post in the Repair and Maintence forum and include pics as many as you can. They go a long way in helping to explain what your up against and to help us see the handy work you have done.

And then there is the good times out in your Sunline!!

Again Welcome and happy fixing and camping!

John

Google Custom Search For Sunline Owners Club
JohnB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-20-2011, 04:45 PM   #5

SUN #3028
Tore into it on Monday and found the damage to be much less than I thought! Will need to replace about 3 boards in the front corner and a new bolt through the floor to the frame. Will post pics and progress over the weekend. Picked up a sheet of 17 gauge alum diamond plate today also rather than trying to match alum. Want to get the outside fixed up before moving inside.

A quick inventory of parts needed is as follows, 4 drawers are missing, 2 small and the big one at the bottom under the sink and then the one right inside the front door under the table bench seat. Also missing the lower arm on the AE awning. Will post pics of these items in the proper section next week.
Old 10-23-2011, 07:03 AM   #6

SUN #3028
Rebuild has begun!

http://www.sunlineclub.com/forums/f7...html#post99369